Fliptop Sunspot?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Fliptop Sunspot?

Postby rmclarke » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 pm

I came out of hiding a while back after having caught the excitement and enthusiasm of this forum but I quickly realized how little I knew :cry: and how much I had to learn :? So, I’ve been reading, reading, reading and I think I know what I would like to build….I think.

My wife has three main requests (only three?). She wants to stand in it (I think I remember reading somewhere this is what Mike S. calls a ‘standie’)
She also wants a porta pot available.
And she wants a dinette in it (for daytime use when it gets rainy here in Oregon) Well, after seeing and being seriously motivated by Steve Wolverton’s very cool Puffin build, I began looking into all sorts of TTT’s.
I really like the Sunspot/Grasshopper design also the Squidget, Widget, Puffin, Escape Hatch, & Winter Warrior. I especially like Andrew’s popup design on the Compact and also George Teague’s Compact clone a lot.

So this is what I’ve come up with so far:
Trailer will have:
-standing room (via a popup top of some kind)
-daytime dinette converting to queen-size bed area
-air conditioner
-microwave
-no built-in galley (sink or stove) just a counter area to use small coleman propane stove occasionally inside
-porta pot
-cooler, no refrig
-AC power input only (no off road or back road use/ probably won’t travel more that 300 miles in any direction)

So, (please forgive the 'badCAD'...newbie here) here is my attempt at a couple of modified Sunspots:

I don't have a trailer yet so I just kinda based it on a HF just for somewhere to start. The more I played with this design, the more it morphed into other things :) and I kind of like this next one even better. Kinda has a 'retro' look to it:

I tried a square poptop on them, but it looked too much like a tank turret :lol: Wow, long post :shock: I think that's enough for now.

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:37 pm

...I like all of them :D ..have ya seen this one from the Design Library http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear54.htm it is similar what you are wanting....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Tear Les » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:13 pm

Hi Richard,

Nice looking desgins; looks like you've been having fun. I'd be really interested in a TTT but I don't think my tow vehicle (an '03 New Beetle turdo diesel) would do as well with the taller profile. They are cool though.

Certainly you can do an all AC trailer but remember if you pull into a rest area or off to the side of the road nothing in the trailer works. For easy loads like lighting, car stereo, etc I've always preferred a basic DC system with a reasonable battery so if I at least have lights and such if I'm in the trailer with no power pole close (seems it not always easy to get a spot with AC). Just something to think on; I believe Steve is thinking hard on adding some DC stuff to Puffin for just that reason.

Whatever choices you make...have fun! :thumbsup:
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby Tear Les » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:14 pm

madjack wrote:...I like all of them :D ..have ya seen this one from the Design Library http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear54.htm it is similar what you are wanting....
madjack 8)

I thought I had seen most of Andrew's trailer stuff...I missed that one. Very nice! :applause:
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby poolking » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:41 pm

Hey Richard,

I have looked at building a teardrop trailer for years. I have been on the board for some time. I like TD's, just something was not right for me. Then I saw a TTT on the beach last month and I was hooked on TTT's.

I looked Andrew's design page. My wife and I fell in love with the Widget floor plan. We already have the cook stove, ice chest, water jug, and porta pot. But we also like the profile of the Sunspot/Grasshopper.

I tried my pen and rule to come up with what we wanted and it just didn't work. Not a CAD person. I e-mailed Adrew and told him what I was looking for. AC in the back, 5 gallon LP tank on the front, Widget floor plan and the Sunspot body porfile. Andrew e-mailed back with the design, he is great. He named it the Gridget. He has send me a PDF file of it. We love it. The Widget and Gridet have a drop floor, I think that will be and easy build in place of the pop up tops.

Link to the 1st drawing of the Gridet.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=22328

Sorry for the long post. Just to much to say about Andrew's Gridget.

poolking
poolking
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs