CCC Explorer Box

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:58 am

Schaney, Great design , so practical because it can be used so many ways ...Tilt top would be easy and you could stick the tilt "tent" poles in a fixture in the box...so many applications , like a swiss -army trailer ... :D Around here we have lots of boat trailers available (boats blew away)... might be real easy to make one to bolt on and off a BT... even more versatility... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:07 am

Glad you like it and I really enjoy hearing about / kicking around variations.

The tapered front on a boat trailer would work out well for strapping a cooler and some water jugs on. Around us you can find them pretty cheap, problem is have to take and deal with the old rotted out boat that's on it.

Here is a trailer Sportsmobile makes that has a hinged lid and tent like we've been talking about.
ImageImage

When are you going to start it?
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:50 am

Schaney, that's terrific... roof rack and tilt up..With a simple lip around the edge of the top , the water would stay out ... ought be easy enough to make a simple custom tent to fit with canvas and Velcro...top could be held up with posts sunk into "receivers" (pipes)in the corners...easy !!! :)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:19 am

Gas struts would also be a good way to lift and hold it up lid.

Tent would be pretty easy, use shock cord around the bottom edge to tension the it and keep rain from running back towards the side window. Velco should be OK, I might go for a welt and channel mounting. To improve versatility I might even make the tent cover the lift. When needed, pull it out, toss it over the lid, pop the top and tension the side.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:34 am

So the tent would be like a large "trailer cozy" eh ??? Cool idea!!! EASY !!! :)

Gas struts would be really Deluxe, I was just trying to do it "on the cheap" hahahaha
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:08 am

Hmmm, a "trailer cozy", that being back memories of everything at my grandmother house with a knit animal cover of some sort :) For a trailer I'd go with something like canvas verses a knit one :lol:

Yes a couple of posts made from 3/4" conduit would work fine and only cost a few buck. Finding the right ones can be a trick, but for one project with gas strut, I got a pair for $5 at my local "Pick-a-part" wrecker.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:47 am

Gosh , that was a great deal ... :thumbsup: We were just thinking of a couple aluminum pipe/poles , stored on broom clips on the side (inside)when not being used...and they wouldn't wear out ...cheap too (a use for that old lawn furniture frame we've been saving ... :)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:08 am

Still mulling over E-Box sketches ... This is just so PRACTICAL!!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:22 am

Here is a pointer to our post on the Explorer Box Construction Manual in the Teardrop Manufacturers section
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:31 am

GPW, when are you thinking about starting to build?
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:09 am

When/if the weather warms up a bit... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:16 am

Schaney, been thinking about the EX-Box...drawing little sketches of ideas... with proper considerations of cabinets , you'd have a ton of storage space and still a place to sleep ..or with a flip down 3 position tailgate /rear hatch , you could literally add the tent of your choice behind it ...was thinking of one of those large boxy picnic tents ...that and the tilt up roof feature , and you could camp indefinitely... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:09 pm

Yes it would be easy to have the cabinets on the front over you feet like the rear of a Teardrop. It would provide lots for storage and still have sleeping space.

One of these tents that fit over the back of a SUV would also work for adding a spare room.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:58 am

Schaney, been lookin' around for a smallish boat trailer to build on , something the right size and weight carrying capability, since we'll be using it as a "Utility" trailer also in the off season (hurricanes).. gathering materials all the time ..Thinking of getting one of those steel storage containers for a TD workshop and storage facility ...Weather getting better , build to commence soon ...This time we're building two TTT's at once(the EB/Sleeper and the Airliner)... saves time,probably materials too cause' we can use the scraps from one on the other, and I'll have some free help... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:57 am

GPW, I like the idea of a group build, doing multiple trailers. Those big shipping container do make nice portable garages, although the 8' width might be tight for a shop.

Came across another option for a "tailgate tent", looks like GM makes tents for the Pontiac Aztec that might work.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs