Del's canned ham build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby del » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Well folks I bought my first part(s) for this trailer.
I did buy two for the back, will extend almost thirty inches. I put a smaller version of these on my last trailer, and liked them so.

Doug, that bend will be fun fixing.

Dave, all my friend wanted off this trailer was the skin, so he could recycle it, the wood was half rotted so...

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:54 am

I talked to my welder friend today and he said I should extend the tongue by putting a peice of 3" x 3" x 1/4" square tubing from the first cross member through the current hitch and forward. Since the local steel yard sells it by the foot, I think I will get six feet, making the tongue 24" longer (the first 45" are used spanning the current tongue). This plan sounds easier than moving the axle and not using the first cross member ( the first cross member is structurally important to the tongue so I can not just cut it free).

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Here's your extended tongue on the drawing:

It sounds a good plan, but it makes the stepped chassis a non-starter. You can see that the existing A-frame is now starting to interfere with the area where a dropped footwell would be wanted, but not too badly.

With the wheels sticking outside the body, you are going to need some exaggerated curvy fenders to go with the canned ham shape:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:37 pm

angib wrote:Here's your extended tongue on the drawing:

It sounds a good plan, but it makes the stepped chassis a non-starter. You can see that the existing A-frame is now starting to interfere with the area where a dropped footwell would be wanted, but not too badly.

With the wheels sticking outside the body, you are going to need some exaggerated curvy fenders to go with the canned ham shape:

Andrew
Thank you Andrew. The stepped chassis my friend the welder is against, so stepping the chassis is a diminishing dream. The solution is an internal step down just outside the frame rails, does not sound like much, but it will help me get into the trailer (that and a wider door). The height restrictions have been lifted, because It is too wide to fit in the car port, yea I will have to build in the great outdoors, not ideal but ... Now those fenders would look cool :thinking:

Thanks again del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:44 am

Thanks to my friend the welder, my frame has lost its bend. It is not what you know, it is who you know.
Looks more better than.
I also have a relocated step. Yes I do need more support for the main floor hear.
The outside mounts are installed on the stabilizer jacks.
The inside supports come next week.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:36 am

Great Del!!!! That welder did a fantastic job getting the frame straight! I gotta hunch you've figured out a way to de-rust that dude in a very elegant way!!! Keep up the pics!!!
:thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby del » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:54 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Great Del!!!! That welder did a fantastic job getting the frame straight! I gotta hunch you've figured out a way to de-rust that dude in a very elegant way!!! Keep up the pics!!!
:thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elegant and rust in one sentence :thinking: hmm. Johnny used some stuff that I am going to try, for the rust.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Now I am going to talk about a subject that is not everyones favorite.
Yes toilets. I took this out of a sixties era shasta. the names on it are.
On the back there is a pipe plug that apears to go nowhere. Also does the metal flapper suposed to have a rubber seal?

Any info on this would be appreciated, does it hook up to the water supply? Where can I get parts for it?

del
Last edited by del on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 am

Might make a nice Planter??? :o

Did you Google it yet?? one would assume by the name it's Japanese, no ??

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... tnG=Search
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:08 am

That looks like a marine head to me...my guess is that the pipe plug may be for a vent...here's a basic installation Marine Head Installation
:thinking:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby del » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:31 pm

GPW wrote:Might make a nice Planter??? :o

Did you Google it yet?? one would assume by the name it's Japanese, no ??

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... tnG=Search
Now I have googled it, with no luck. I wonder if Townsend would work better (I will try in a bit).

thanks del

for sure not a planter.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Juneaudave wrote:That looks like a marine head to me...my guess is that the pipe plug may be for a vent...here's a basic installation Marine Head Installation
:thinking:

Hmm do I really have to worry about the water line on my travel trailer? :lol: :lol:
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:50 pm

Being a naturally lazy person I drilled the holes on the tongue when I could use the drill press, before it is welded on. Here is the coupler installed, plus one bolt for the safety chains.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:10 pm

starleen2 wrote:
Ivar the Red wrote:Looking good Del. Here's what I finally decided on for the rust...

http://www.ospho.com/

:ok: :ok: AGREES WITH JOHNNY. I have used this product on old metal containers and frames before. works as advertised

Well I have been to ace hardware and found this http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=43, yes I want yellow. No luck with ospho though. Any thoughts, and Johnny how much product (1 gallon) did you use?

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:18 pm

I generously used just a little less than a gallon. Now I don't have any use for the left overs, I could mail it to you, but I don't think that would go over to well. :lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs