Boat and utility tear construction begins

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Boat and utility tear construction begins

Postby dboyd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:40 am

Hello everyone,
I was surfing the net searching for small camping trailers when I first discovered the teardrop trailer. I thought it was the neatest thing I had ever seen. I would personally like to thank Steve, the designer and builder of the Cowper, for his detailed and comical website.I have been reading your posts for a couple of months and now me and my uncle are going to build a couple of trailers. I have built both trailers and while trying to save money decided to use the axles from a couple of mini-vans. What a mistake, as far as time goes. I was able to use these axles, but the problem was the original springs were huge. I had to shorten both axles and then had to buy smaller springs. To attach these springs to the existing axles I had to make adapter plates. It doesn’t bother me too much because the axles are so beefy. I only saved about fifty bucks total with these axles (if I don't count my time). The trailers are 4' x 9'11" and are constructed out of 2" x 2" x 1/8" tubing. I could not justify building a tear drop just for camping; I needed to be able to transport other things with it also. I saw a design for a trailer that could haul a motorcycle and decided that a similar trailer would suit my needs just fine. I almost went with the concept of a camp pod because I wanted to take a small boat with me when I went camping. After seeing the movable galley on the motorcycle hauler, I decided that an 8' foot boat would fit inside just right. We haven’t decided what the outside covering should consist of yet. We are thinking about fiberglass but neither of us has ever worked with it before. This will give me chance to use the plywood panel saw that I just built. The front and back of the trailer will be rounded slightly, but will be mostly straight after the radius on the top corners. The sides will be made with biscuit joined pine with foam insulation and a covering of 1/4" luan plywood. If anyone has any suggestions, please, just let me know. I can use all the help and insight I can get. It's been with great pleasure that I have enjoyed finding and reading your forum. Thanks, Don
:thumbsup:
There is nothing I cannot do, I just seem to be better at some things than others.
dboyd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BufordT » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:10 am

Welcome aboard.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:36 am

Hi Don,

Welcome to the forum... you waited long enough to join, don't you think? ;)

Anyways, based on your axle experience would you agree that it's a whole lot easier and faster to just buy a torsion axle, bolt it on, and be done with it?

If you need some skinning ideas, there's a few here...
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/skinning.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dboyd » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:10 am

Hello Mike and Bufordt
I know that I would buy an axle rather than build one. The axles that I looked at had decent prices, I just hated spending $100 bucks on shipping for two axles. Thanks for the help, Don :)
There is nothing I cannot do, I just seem to be better at some things than others.
dboyd
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs