Truck Pop-Up Camper Conversion into a TTT

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Truck Pop-Up Camper Conversion into a TTT

Postby skiberg » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Hello,

I've been using a Four-Wheel Pop-Up camper for the last 10 years. Now that I have two kids, we've outgrown the camper. I need room for four. I would like to keep the camper and convert it into a TTT. The camper has an aluminum upper frame, and it's 6 ft. wide by 10 ft. long. I realize that I would need to cut the front end of the aluminum frame off in order to extend the interior the full length. My general design concept would be similar to George Teague's Pop Up camper.

I have been looking through this sight for many months and I am amazed at all of the innovative design and construction techniques. I'm hoping to tap into some of that expertise, knowledge and ingenuity for this project. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of the original camper are posted below. Thanks.

Image[/img]
skiberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DougH » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Wow, that is a great idea. I'd only use the top portion and reverse it, having the raised bed at the rear with the galley built under it. Having a low profile trailer yet being able to stand inside would be great.

Other option might to build under the cabover portion as a seperate "bedroom" from the rest of the unit and then just redo the siding to make it look like one unit. You would have tons of storage room on the lower enclosed sides.
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:49 am

DougH has some good ideas, either of which might work.

I would do the least amount of tear-down possible. To keep your back door and kitchen as they are, I think I would simply add on under the cab-over section and put bunk beds in that area. To blend it in, you could make the add-on portion a design feature by using a different color skin there and trimming it out. Add some of the new color in a few of the other areas, to pull it all together. Of course, this is just a guess at what you can do as I could only find the over-all camper measurements and not for that particular area.

Best Wishes
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 am

Another idea: The roof lifts all over, not just in one area. I'm guessing there is a dining area. If so, you might be able to add a small cot-style (or bigger) bed in that upper area. Just watch your head as you would then probably have to bend down to move into the dining seats.

With a little imagination, perhaps the overhead canvas bunk-style bed that folds out of the way during the day would work for you. To do that, you might need to add cross-camper support boards on each end of where the canvas 'bunk' would go. These cross-camper supports could slip into holders that you would build into the walls. This would allow removal of the cross-camper support boards when not in use.

With the above ideas, you could still use your camper on the truck bed.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:35 am

heck - that front window is larger than some doors on a teardrop! I'd just frame in around to square the front end off , add a few windows :thumbsup: and use that space as sleeping quarters
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs