Truck Camper

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Truck Camper

Postby rdraider » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:48 pm

droid,

Sorry i haven't checked in lately. Things have been busy at work for the past couple months. I have only had the chance to take it out once. It worked well, though I am not happy with the sides. They are just aren't what i want . I am working on a design that i will probably mock up this month.

aratman,

I have a foam gasket on the inside that keeps rain from being forced into the crack.

I am also not satisfied with the roof in general. The middle support in the roof is bowing downwards, causing a concave surface on the roof. It catches water something terrible. It leaked for a while, but i fixed that. In general i wished i had sealed the wood all over with epoxy instead of the polyurethane mix, but its holding up pretty well considering its been a wet winter.

I will finish the interior this month as well, and post pics when i can.

Thanks!
rdraider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 pm

rdraider, you said:
i wished i had sealed the wood all over with epoxy instead of the polyurethane mix
Can you state your reasons why? I'm about to seal with the mix (have already started with the doors), and would like to know what went wrong for you.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rdraider » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:38 pm

just didn't seal the wood like i had hoped. I am blaming the poly, but it could have been inferior wood. The ply was box store underlayment. So not the best.

Don't let my experience change your plans. Its just bubbling in small spots here and there.
rdraider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rdraider » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Update:

Hey all, its been a while. Alot of stuff has happened over the last year or so. Had to replace the roof once due to leakage and mold. And just recently acquired some great big holes due to hail storms. So we'll be doing a third roof. Or will I? :twisted:

I have acquired a 4x8 harbor freight trailer that my dad built a few years ago, but never used. So i will either be adapting this camper for the trailer, or more likely, I will start on a grasshopper.

Wish me luck!
rdraider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PaulS » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:22 pm

What a cool old school camper top design :thumbsup:
PaulS
PaulS
Teardrop Master

Postby tim_hart » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Awesome. I love the popup design.
tim_hart
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:17 am

Try as I might, (and my truck is not even close to being U-Haul orange) I can't convince people that my truck is not a moving van. :lol:

If I had something like this occupying the back... :thinking:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs