Cool gizmo - but pricy

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Cool gizmo - but pricy

Postby mwatters » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:24 pm

Have a hankerin' to build your own baby hybrid trailer? Or just want a teardrop-sized trailer that sleeps a big darn family?

Spotted this looking for parts:

https://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/catalo ... ct_id=3097

Can't use it myself - plus it's WAY too expensive for me - but it could be incorporated into the side of a teardrop without too much struggle. Could even put in TWO if you're willing to put the entrance door in the rear of the trailer.

mkw
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:07 am

Wow, you could build a Winter Warrior that sleeps 6!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:40 am

I was surprised to see quite a few 20-24 foot trailers in Canada with those front and back to increase interior space for sleeping. I don't know what it looked like inside. They folded down and stuck out about 3 feet and cushions inside were used to turn them into the foot of a bed (according to a camping neighbor up there)..

These are 4 feet, so may be bigger....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Chris C » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:03 am

Those are great. I've seen several truck camper shells with similar arrangements. Something like that would be easy to incorporate into your tear, and the tent portion could be made by any awning/tent maker in your area. Total cost would be WAY below the price shown on the link you gave. Just my opinion though.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby february1966 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:30 am

I've drawn one in an alternative design on my build.... certainly eliminates the second door.

It is basically pop-up bunk mounted to a door versus the sliding platform. I might just try to fabricate it myself instead of purchasing one.

Of course A/C and heating become much less efficient.
5 kids & dog!! Teardrop or padded cell?
february1966
Teardrop Builder

Postby Laredo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:45 pm

hmm. hollow-core door for the bed/door. Piano hinge along the bottom, locking latch along the top. six triangular/trapezoidal pieces of insulated 3/8'' plywood, painted on the outside; pins thru hinge/latches.

I think you could do a solid/folding one...
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby february1966 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:31 am

Actually Laredo, I wasn't sure I could adequately seal a solid sided / folding one.

but I figured if I could just downscale their design i.e. canvas for roof, sides and ends... then used aluminum piping to hold up / shape canvas ... then if I desided not to use it on a particuar trip then it should stow without intruding to far into the cabin.
5 kids & dog!! Teardrop or padded cell?
february1966
Teardrop Builder

Postby Laredo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:12 pm

i was thinking about HVAC efficiency and leakproofing myself.

that whole shebang ought to fold up into about twice the thickness of the hollow-core door. if you used 3/4'' ply for the floor it'd be skinnier still.

Try this out: build a 1/2-size model in cardboard (what you want is a refrigerator box, swiped from the alley behind the Maytag store :lol: ) and use 1/2'' pvc pipe and a blue poly tarp for your 'canvas'.

Then build it with cardboard sides/roof to get an idea about comparative weights, compressibility of the (closed) not-in-use dimensions, etc. Should cost less than $10 and give you a lot better idea of the practicability of the thing.

what've you got to lose, other than a few hours? ;)
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby jimqpublic » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm

Aliner had a non-folding trailer experiment a few years ago that incorporated rigid fold outs. They had a roof section that was 1/4 of a tube. Quite roomy when folded out but of course they took up a lot of room when folded in.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs