Teardrop toyhauler?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Teardrop toyhauler?

Postby Apache Eagle Camper » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:30 pm

I too am interested in a TTH (tiny toy hauler) mine is to be very basic. I had thought years ago I wanted a Tear, but my needs are like yours. My wife and I want the Cruiser with us. With our kayaks or Sunfish on top. To be pulled by our PT Cruiser

My build/idea images are posted to this link. https://picasaweb.google.com/108335829480258795541/TinyToyHauler#

I can use 4' high sidewalls, by removing my quick detach windshield and rolling the handle bars down.

Overall box length will be 10' plus the rear hatch. Hatch stays up to form hard porch roof and is of a box design so that awning fabric and poles will stow inside the hatch.
So the box structure is basically 4'Hx10'Lx5'W.
I will use a pulley and cable system in the roof/ceiling to get the bike in and out, with commercially available aluminum ramp.
Wheel dock will be bolted to floor in front.
True queen size air mattress will sit on a raised box foundation like the dinette in any commercially produced RV or camp trailer, the center will be just a sheet of removable plywood
I will use an adjustable tongue tube to account for varying CG/tongue weight, depending on bike loaded or not.
There is ample room for a small AC unit or heater. There will be no galley, as we generally cook on a picnic table even when fifth wheeling.
All the places we stay have full facilities, so we are up in the air on the Hygiene related amenities.

You may want to look at a plywood boat building method, that may come in handy on my build. It's called Stitch & Glue. Makes a very lightweight and STRONG boat.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=stitch%20%26%20glue%20boat%20building&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=327738fe10fbc33&bpcl=35277026&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=994&bih=606

Good luck. My build has begun 4 years later than planned. But I now have a firm vision and foundation, ie: a Harbor Freight trailer :)
Jim
Damn the Guad's dry, my arms are so tired of paddling that I can't lift my ice chest lid..............
Apache Eagle Camper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Grummy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Four years late isn't all that bad..... I have not logged into this site for a few years myself ! Still have the itch though. I have spent this summer converting a grumman step van into a do-all rig, so I spent more time looking at truck conversion sites.

On the topic of TTH trailers, one I drew years ago was based on Rik Kellers Road Toad, but enlarged enough to haul my Yamaha V-Star. I forgot what Rik's dimensions were, but my overall look was about the same, albeit with a front kitchen and a rear opening cargo door. At 10' in length, it gave me a LOT of extra room compared to a traditional tear. The shape allowed for a large flat roof area to accommodate solar panels. The rear hatch allowed for an extenda-room or "patio".

My "design" ideas revolved around the fact that I have access to a 6' x 10' CNC router, and all the "parts" would be cut from plywood and assembled with biscuited "dog bone" joints. It would almost go together like a puzzle. Then simply skin and insulate it. Now with all the interest in "foamies", I think I would almost head down that road rather than the wood. Whether or not I will ever get to build one is up in the air. I have way too many interests !

The other day I walked past my Aluma utility trailer and thought..... "I could put a teardrop body on top of that thing"! My wife said something along the lines of oh boy... here we go.....

I'll attach a photo from inside the Cad program I was using....

mytoad1.jpg
mytoad1.jpg (114.58 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby Apache Eagle Camper » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Oops, noticed that this thread started January of 2012 & died in July. Oh well. Grummy your design is nice, but I have no CAD skills nor access to the cnc equipment to cut it. Mine will be trial & error, hopefully the errors will be few, it's just a box with a round nose, LOL...... Wife says I have until April 2013. She wants to do the Smokies and Appalachian range again. This time WITHOUT canvas :)
Damn the Guad's dry, my arms are so tired of paddling that I can't lift my ice chest lid..............
Apache Eagle Camper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mgharvey » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Love these ideas....

I've been looking for a solution to the same problem for a couple monthes now.

Was wondering on the prices of the Microlites?

Thanks for all the posts, giving me lots of options...
mgharvey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby vaddisonme » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:04 pm

My little car-go lite was just under 7000. The bigger Car-go lite Extreme runs 9000 or so, I think.... You would need the extreme for a motorcycle. You can check their website....
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mgharvey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Found this today, looks like it would work...

www.goawolcampers.com
mgharvey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Irmo Atomics » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:34 am

I don't see a problem returning an old thread back to life, if the information is still relevant... Here's a link to a very well done build in Australia: http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/th ... es-cup-tea
Plus he made it convertible, so that it can be both a toy hauler and a sleeper with galley.
A lot of great ideas here, including putting your awning ropes in old socks to keep the ropes untangled.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby Xodius » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:17 pm

mgharvey wrote:Found this today, looks like it would work...

http://www.goawolcampers.com

Ok those are pretty cool. Good find!
Xodius
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:07 am

Yea both links are nice toy haulers..

Thanks for both
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kudzu » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 am

mgharvey wrote:Found this today, looks like it would work...
http://www.goawolcampers.com

Looks nice. Basically a little cargo trailer conversion. Nicely done.
kudzu
Donating Member

Re:

Postby Sgt. Paintball » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:40 pm

Does anyone know who's trailer this is or have more pics than on the this post?

Or has anyone BUILT a teardrop or squaredrop toy hauler that incorporated the toy hauler into the square/teardrop (and not just a front toy hauler storage bed) like in this picture?

I'm looking to make something similar but square in shape and modular (so I could take the camper off my 4x8 trailer to use the trailer as a flatbed and store both camper and trailer better in my garage.) Looking to have the modularity of this build: https://youtu.be/1Bd0iQ1zz5M (how it's relatively easy to take off) with a similar type to this (small size) camper build: https://youtu.be/1oCEbH79Bbo

The bike I'm towing is 1/2 if not 1/3 the weight of a Harley (a sport bike) and the trailer I have has a towing capacity of about 2,000 lbs. I'm planning to use 1/4" PVC sheets for the walls and roof (kind of how Craig did with his seconds design in the second video) to keep weight down with a plywood base. I'd like to incorporate some of the amenities that Craig had in his first build. You can find more pictures of his builds here: https://instagram.com/craigruge?utm_medium=copy_link

angib wrote:Here's some photos I saved from somewhere - the EXIF data on the photos says they are from 2005.

The way the middle of the galley is filled in after unloading is clever, as is the use of a deep false floor so that your bed doesn't share the floor with the motorcycle tyres. I don't remember what suspension system was used to make the trailer go up and down.
Sgt. Paintball
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:29 am

One from long ago :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs