Rob's Cabin (warning lots of pictures)

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Rob's Cabin : different ideas and some random thoughts

Postby droid_ca » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:58 pm

So I did an experament today and the arch piece for my trailer is 3 lbs for a 10 foot chunk
it is a 10 foot long of 1 1/4 PVC pipe I'm going to not only use it for my water tank but I'm also going to use it for my roof trusses and what not so f I were to do say a roof truss it would weigh in the neighborhood of 3.9 lbs per truss so now it all depends on how big to go I know this build has changed so many times already i'm just glad I'm actually doing it instead of dreaming about it so do I go 8-12-16 as the weight for the roofs would be 25 lbs per sheet of plywood 1/4 inch thick brings me to around 8'=69.5lbs 12'=104.25lbs 16'=139lbs so those are some interesting numbers I have there a non insulated roof that can hold up to Canadian snow be a water storage tank while I'm parked and weigh under 200lbs now we are talking light
seeing how a 2x4 weighs between 8-10lbs so lets call it 9lbs my walls could weigh47 lbs per 4 feet a side...Sorry about the rambling but it helps me think and then I can look back on here and see what I'm think of makes sense..ok back to the trailer mat a 2x4 can hol 400 lbs to 600 lbs depending on the angle so if one truss is holding 50 lbs of water the 2x4s can still handle a load of300lbs to 500lbs my roof aint going to weigh that much.. I have also been thinking of using 3 oz fiberglass to cover the whole thing when I'm done to help solidify and seal things up nice and tight I might even have to skin the insides as well then....hmmm and I have 7 door skins in the back room just weighting for a home...Now just have to make the trailer frame a touch lighter I heard that rectangular metal is stronger the square metal si if you go a size smaller but flip it so that it is pushing on the longer side it is actually lighter as well as stronger it looses on the side to side strength but that is why we box in our frames and have cross members....Well I'm still waiting to hear about what you think I should do for a roof PITCHED vs ARCHED

Thank you for following my build and babble
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin 1 more thing

Postby droid_ca » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:03 am

When I was in the Hardware store getting my PVC pipe theyt had sinks on sale there was a chromed and a brushed nickle the sales man was trying to push the brushed nickle on me saying how much nicer it was and that for only $20.00 more it would look nicer in my home ...I just tuned him out cause what he doesn't know is I have an industrial electro platter and for that $20.00 saving I can gold plate the tap and make it look $200.00 more...sometimes its good to have a hobby well here is the sink it has a pull out handle that I'm thinking I can come up with an idea to use it as a shower as well

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:27 am

droid_ca wrote:So I did an experament today and the arch piece for my trailer is 3 lbs for a 10 foot chunk
it is a 10 foot long of 1 1/4 PVC pipe I'm going to not only use it for my water tank but I'm also going to use it for my roof trusses and what not

How do you plan to fill the tube/tank? How will you prevent from freezing?

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby droid_ca » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:43 am

M C Toyer wrote:
droid_ca wrote:So I did an experament today and the arch piece for my trailer is 3 lbs for a 10 foot chunk
it is a 10 foot long of 1 1/4 PVC pipe I'm going to not only use it for my water tank but I'm also going to use it for my roof trusses and what not

How do you plan to fill the tube/tank? How will you prevent from freezing?

M C

Good question M C Toyer, I'll be draining it when ever I move as it would make my trailer way to top heavy but when its parked at home I'm going to just connect the garden hose to it as that is how I'm thinking of filling it is with a garden hose attached to a 12 volt submersible pump so when I park attach a hose through it into the mountain stream and wait till its full I'll be using an Air Lock or a One Way trap valve and when they get full they close up preventing more water from running inside the system will be gravity fed as I'm thinking that will be best no pumps going off in the middle of the night waking other people I know there is a way to quiet them down but so far this is looking like the best plan I'll also have an electric heater inside the trailer when it is at home and when camping I'm going to have a wood stove so that should prevent any freezing that may occur...I hope I was able to answer your question
and thank you for following my build thread

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin porch light teaser

Postby droid_ca » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48 am

So this is just a teaser of what my porch light is starting to look like
Pleas don't mind the shot glass or the fingers as they wont be there when it gets assembles I'm going to be staining the wood an almost black dark brown in color and the bottle will have 2 led lights shining with in it I'm thinking of putting a dimmer on it encase it is too bright but that is just a teaser of what is to come...who knows Tom morrow I might be working on my door...

Thanks for following this thread until next time

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin (warning lots of pictures)

Postby droid_ca » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 pm

So somehow I majorly veered off course so now it looks like I'm going to be doing two builds hahahaha Oh well these things happen

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin (Sorry no pictures this time)

Postby droid_ca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:01 pm

So I have been going over my plans for how to build this trailer and keeping it light enough to row but insulated enough to stay warm in a Canadian winter with out using all of my power or propane. I have been emailing boat designers as well as engineers on light weight framing and materials So I think we have come up with an idea on how to assemble the walls so far they are going to be around 12 feet long the wheels are going to be inside the frame and we will be welding that up once can get the supplies...still need to mount my trailer hitch and order the tires and rims for the trailer I was going to go with the axle-less axles but they don't come in the wheel bolt pattern for the weight that I'd like so looks like I'll be calling the guys in Prince George sometime next week about getting an axle that is rated at 2000 lbs and has brakes as well as 5 on 5.5 hubs if there is an axle bar going across I'm sure I can live with it I need to start cutting down on some of my costs (this is supposed to be a fun little camper not a home my bigger trailer I'll be able to live in that one on a more regular basis but it wont go off road) as for the essentials while camping I have a few ideas on what I'm going to do I have my big cooler so a major fridge will not be needed maybe a small way to keep ice frozen but that's about it I have a 12 volt wine cooler that goes to 45 degrees so it keeps things chill so it will be good for some things just need to wire that in and mount it somewhere ( want to keep everything neat and tidy) The dogs will be needing there own space so I'll have to try and keep the floor as open as possible but I'd like to do a some what of a wall for the bed area just for when there are people sleeping and you want to get up and start breakfast no need to wake the beasts and now I might be getting another bird so it will need their own space at least it wont be a parrot that will chew on everything so I should be able to get away with having a small perch...Now I have another decision to make as I'd like to be able to wash up when I go on extended trips so a bath r a shower would be a nice option I have a super secret idea for that but I can't say at the moment need to make up my mind on wither I go bath tub or a shower...my friend is a wood carver so I'll be getting him to think of a design and he'll be doing some carved drawers and cupboards for me..I'm going with a tropical Hawaiian theme with a bit of pirate macabre twist thrown in. I'd like it to be functional and no setting up for those times where your on the road and are just pulling over to get some sleep but for the longer and extended trips there will be some setup required mainly exterior lighting and some window boxes I feel it would add to the Cabin feel of it all...I have a few big trips planned already that I want to do funny they are all within BC but some are fishing holes and hot-springs and just good places to go I'd like to be able to go off road with it that is one of the reasons that I'm going to go with matching tires on the trailer as well as tow vehicle...well thanks for following my rambling...Talk to you soon I got to get back to drawing this thing out some more before I make any mistakes

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:34 am

So I thought I'd give a quick update as to whats happening I just bought an old used camper in the next town over they would budge on the price any but did make me an offer that they would remove all the parts that I wanted...so when I get the parts I'll take some pictures as I'd like to repaint the stove it is a burnt orange color 3 burner stove with an oven that has never been used...I scored all kinds of goodies sink, propane 3 way fridge, a propane heater, propane water heater, holding tanks and pumps, the stove..and some camper jacks. I have figured out some good uses of space for bathroom facilities..I need to get some tiles for my counter top..I'd like to go with marble, but heard that it might crack easy...what do you think? and trying to decide on bathtub Vs shower what would be better...going to be ordering my rims ad tires next week so that Walter and I have them for working on my trailer frame to accurately measure out the wheel well cut out..I still have a few secret ideas that I'm oing to hang on to until I do them and if they work I'll show you and let you know what is happening...as always Thanks for following my build thread

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:36 am

biziedizie wrote:The marble won't crack if you put a Kerdi product under it and use mastic, also a good rubber membrane works well too. Calk you perimeter and use a mortified grout or better yet a silicone grout.

I heard of people using gorila glue to glue down tiles I was hoping that would work ...but your saying build shelf put down rubber mat then place tiles on that?? :thinking: cause I
d like it not to crack i'll get my friend with a tile saw to do my sink cur our as well as my hole for the tap set that I have. and then do a small back splash I'm thinking 10 tiles at the most for a 2 foot by 4 foot counter 12x12 tiles

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:49 am

oh ok I'll see what I can find

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:51 am

as much as I don't want too might have to go with the fake stuff

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 am

biziedizie wrote:Cultured marble suxs, go with the real stuff, it's bullet proof if installed right.

I'll see if Homehardware has it or can bring it in it would be nice to get it all in one piece but I'm thinking that might be a little out of my budget....Then Wednesday I'm going to be looking at some more wood to hopefully make dome shelves and another shelf...There is a guy in town here who is advertising some cedar tongue and groove for around 500 bucks I should be able to do the outside of my trailer

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:09 pm

There are guys who do tile but sadly it is bought at the store or a 3 hour drive away...slate on the other hand might be kinda nice would go good with my rustic theme

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:52 pm

I think I'll look into how to work with slate for a counter top I just don't want the weight to be too heavy I have to try and keep things light as possible

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:15 am

ok so tile it might be unless I can get thin marble tile that isn't too heavy

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs