Rob's Cabin (warning lots of pictures)

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Rob's Cabin (warning lots of pictures)

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Oh i contacted loveshack on facebook, passed a few messages back and forth....they said there is a new website coming soon with info about their first build and there new idea for their next build...i will keep you informed!
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby droid_ca » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks Deryk I had messaged them but got no answers
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:48 pm

So I came tyo a conclusion today I need to have some of what I want inside the cabin before I actually start putting walls up so I went for coffee with Walter Jervis today (I brought snacks) and we were discussing my trailer build and I asked if he had any slab logs low and behold he did this thing was heavy so after struggling to get it in my jeep I went home and thought about what I was going to do with it after discussing it with the dogs I decided (they will agree to almost anything) I was going to build a sink went over to my friend Al's place and his knows a lot about stuff hunting buddy is up so I asked Kurt if he could give me a hand cutting the piece of wood and making it flush on the back side I had gone to Home-Hardware and picked up the biggest mixing bowl $16.00 and the smallest mixing bowl $4.99 they had and an 1-1/4 drain went back to Al's and he was home from work so after a few beers we decided to cut the hole for the drain back to Home-Hardware to get a bi-metal 1-1/4 hole cutter mark out the place and fly at er and it didn't fit so out comes the dremal tool to adjust the hole some still didn't fit and again and again and then Kurt brought out the big snips and trimmed it manually Kurt is a very talented artist he has a carving at ground zero of an eagle rising out of the rubble plus I don't think he could handle any more noise of the dremal in a big mega phone of a mixing bowl (it was hard on the ears) so no picture of it yet will try and get some of that tomorrow I still need to take some of the mass out of the back to lighten it up a lot so after doing some shop clean up and a few more beers I remembered "Hey don't you have some butchers block kicking around" "Ya I think we do you want it" "Sure how much"so with the promise of a bottle of rum tomorrow it's mine...so what is the little bowl for well I'm going to mount that at the top of my sink for the bar of soap or wet rags to go into they both are stainless steel and I'm still trying to find a stove that I like to pit in it as well and then I'll have a rustic counter top to add a little flare to my cabin...I still can't believe I'm actually starting this thing so many previous ideas on what to do for my first publicized build..So the butchers block I'm thinking kitchen table that folds out have it a few inches from the wall lift it up and swing out a brace and tada a table either that or have it fold down from some where heck I might even do the Gypsy thing an have it slide out from under the bed.. decisions decisions ..So what do you think I should do fold up- fold down- slide out???? Was looking over some build this morning and was seeing how Steve did his previous build of the little gypsy and thought I should do a dropped floor I have the clearance for it so here is another question should I do a ledge like on a gypsy wagon??? and should I do a dropped floor???and if so how much?? and how wide??? Could really use your help on this..
So wish me luck on this counter top I' just hope that it works as a side note has anyone ever mounted their taps beside their sink instead of at the top?? had a crazy idea for doing it that way...ok until later Thanks for following

Sorry about the long post just Excited had a good day today

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 am

Thought I'd do a checklist of what I have already for my trailer

Igloo cooler Image
120 QUART POLAR™
The industry leader in Extended Cooling Performance!
Ultratherm® insulated cooler body and lid provides extended cooling, making Igloo MaxCold ice chests best for camping, long trips, all day at the ball park, or backyard and party fun.
Ultratherm™ insulated cooler body and lid - extended cooling
UV inhibitors in lid guard against sun damage
Stain- and odor-resistant liner
Threaded drain plug for hose hook up
Reinforced swing-up cooler handles with tie-down loop feature
Dual snap-fit latches secure lid closure
Snap-lock, child safety latch
5 day cooling

Wood slab counter top Sorry no pictures of that yet

Hide-a-bed couch mattress
Serta Perfect Sleeper sofa bed model
The local Sandman was getting rid of some stuff and as partial payment I took two of the Hide-A-Bed couches they had (nobody has ever used the mattresses) they were lounge couches that they had in storage and when the colors changed out they had to go so I had them for a few years and when it was time to turf them I removed the mattress out of one ad took the cushions so maybe I can use them for a dinette

Television
ok this is tricky I have a few of them but I'll post the two that I'm thinking of using and see what would be the better option
(1) Naxia flip down 22inch Image

(2) I have a wall mount that has a built in Dvd player Naxa 22 inch on an articulating arm Image
Both are reat TVs on has built in lights that could be usefull the other has built in tuner and dvd player
I know it's camping and I don't need a tv but it's nice to catch up on things ever once in a while or if the weather gets bad catch a movie

Playstaion3 Image I bought this cause it is an entertainment system holds my music and movies and even has a web browser (I'm not much into games) I did a hard drive up grade to 640 gigs so needless to say I have lots of movies and music. This system can be run of a small invertor that is made for it so power draw is not to bad

JVC El Kameleon head unit it has the back up camera feature so I was thinking of using that part for one of my dogs as she is being equipped with a video camera for doing search and rescue (thought that might be a nice thing to have)

Coleman lantern electric (mom bought it for me)
ImageFEATURES
Lifetime Bulb
175 lumens on high
Operates up to 10 hrs on low, 5 hrs on high
4-position switch - off/high/low/nightlight settings
Model No. 2000004499
SRP $79.99

Have all my cooking STUFF No picture needed

Bedding my nice old neighbor next door made me a blanket and pillow set little big for my mattress I'll just tuck it in (sorry that is in the wash at the moment)

I have access to plenty of wood for building my trailer (I live in BC the wood capital)

just ordered a chair for my trailer will post pictures when it arrives

Getting a electric heater from a piece of outdoor machinery for logging not shure what it's out of but it is supposed to make the cab nice and toasty warm (will post pictures when I pick it up)

For exterior lighting I have an under car lighting kit that I had kicking around was thinking that might be a nice option to use (got no other use for it)

Well that is about it for now still working on my second cup of coffee...What else do I need???

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 pm

so I had some errands I had to do today so not much time for building but I did get some work done
Here is Kurt and Al chiseling out the little squares from underneath my counter top I was taking the picture
ImageKurt ImageAl
Image The backside of my counter

We also cut down the butchers block for my table no pictures I'll get some of that later still needs a hinge and some finishing touches

until later Thanks for looking

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 pm

That's probably my fault I'll just post them bigger then anyways I went to the shop and checked up on my table as I had to go and my friend Kurt is good to his word there was one little piece that needed some fixing but it's not noticeable, we took out around 9 gallons of saw dust from the underside of this counter top carved out 1 1/4 inches but left around 2 inches on the fron and sides (just had to take some of the weight out of it as that is a concern on this build I figure I'll be around 1200 pounds when finished

Same counter just different angles
ImageImageImage

There is lots of work to be done on it still but a job worth doing correctly the first time I'm not going to rush this hopefully when done this will be a stand alone piece of furniture I still have my butcher block table to finish tomorrow and I'm trying to decide what I should do for the stove part as I don't want to cut too many holes in this counter top and thought maybe I should make another counter for the stove to be mounted into Oh and I think I finalized my layout I'll try and draw it up tonight and post it

Thanks for following me

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 am

I'm thinking I"ll use a two part epoxy called liquid glass and do at least 3 coats on it so it has a nice sheen to it

I also did up a rough draft of what I would like to do with my trailer I'm sure it will change again as I need to move my water source but this is it for now

ImageImage

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:13 pm

So had long day today so not much time for working on my trailer in the real world but I did make myself a graph to assist me with drawing up stuff..I like to use the paint program and it works for me but did some more reasearch on strange and bizzare ideas that I'd like to try really wish I had a two burner stove as I'd like to test out my idea for the stove table I was thinking of putting it in the big slab that I have been working on lately but I dont want to take away from the effect of it ???? What to do any suggestions?? I took my counter top home and I can work on it here for a while until I decide what I'm going to do but I do have a few goodies to show they are both works in progress
my butcher block table

and ever cabin needs to have a trophy fish on the wall

Thanks for following

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin

Postby droid_ca » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:51 pm

So I have been working on the piece of wood I'd like to use for a counter top been looking for a sink as I'm thinking the one that I made is going to be too big :( oh well such is life.. So while my glue is drying I thought I'd jump on here and give a quick update I might be putting an arched roof on my little trailer as I really like the looks of it if I don't do an arch roof then it will be a slight slope as in the picture of the vardo that I posted...I'm also thinking of doing a small slide out as then I'd have a better use of my floor space 3 dogs can take up a lot of space...So I ask you should it be a arched roof or a pitched roof I'll leave that for you guys to decide I think too much as is..hahahaha
Thanks for following

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:47 pm

So I have been playing around with some ideas

1 I was thinking of a possible hatch that could lead up to the roof

2 if I do the enclosed water tanks that I mentioned in another post as an interesting visual display as well as a guage I could do a clear piece of pipe and have it as a guage of sorts so you can see where exactly the water line is (might stick a light in it to give it a steampunk look)

3 as for my back wall I'd like to make it apeer as a set of floor to ceiling cupboards and have drawers on the bottom as well as cupboards at the very top the center row would actually be a bedroom door

so does it all make sense or is it sound to crazy

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi Droid,

I posted this in the Construction Tip area on your Door Size thread
there earlier tonight - don't know if you've seen it yet or not. It should
help with your last ? in this thread. The enclosed area under the
sleeping surface can be used for storage and any component mounting
- e.g. tanks etc.:

viewtopic.php?p=970761#p970761

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby droid_ca » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:51 pm

mezmo wrote:Hi Droid,

I posted this in the Construction Tip area on your Door Size thread
there earlier tonight - don't know if you've seen it yet or not. It should
help with your last ? in this thread. The enclosed area under the
sleeping surface can be used for storage and any component mounting
- e.g. tanks etc.:

viewtopic.php?p=970761#p970761

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

Yeah I saw and made some notes thanks again for explaining that too me I've seen them in the movies and read about them in books but didn't know what they were called I new there were some in japan as well....I like the idea of it beinging easier to heat....Thanks again for telling me what they are and thanks for following my build

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Irmo Atomics » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:02 am

Belgians are great aren't they?
I've had two and you couldn't find a better friend
The attachment Zak (464x640).jpg is no longer available

Trophy fish are great also, because they don't stink up the camper
Zak (464x640).jpg
Zak (464x640).jpg (250.32 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

Keep up the good work.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby droid_ca » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks Bob that is a beautiful dog...er um friend you have there...Mine is smart as a whip She has started her police training and is taking to it really well...just wants to serve and non stop
I like that fish there too mine is a crib board your right about them not stinking

So that leads me into another thing I'm trying to go with the attitude that what ever is inside of my trailer needs to serve more then one purpose or I don't need it...trying to keep the weight down and hoping that might be a good way to start
Thank s for following my build thread

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin

Postby droid_ca » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:31 am

So good news after a strange morning I got my tow package today for my Tracker super excited about that Just one more step closer to getting myself a trailer ...Now I might have to borrow a smaller trailer just for getting supplies and what not...Where to get one...Oh Walter you want to sell me that small one you got???
So just wondering if there is a way to connect a 4 way plug to a 7 way as I'd like to charge while towing if that's possible or is it better to just run a line that is a power source and do it that way??... And I'm coming to a decision on using PVC pipe for the arches of my trailer I found a few sites that give the weight loads that they can take and that should be no problem I'm thinking of making the bow shape and then also have the cross bars all out of PVC I'll wrap them up in a wood trim so they look like structured beams..now here is where I might have problems been thinking that if I fill it with foam that it would prevent the shifting that the pipes might do as well as add a bit more structure to the design the problem is if I have a water problem there is no way of getting to the pipes without tearing it all down...choices hmmm...Last night I worked on my porch light design as I want it to be totally unique and me and if anyone knows me I'm infatuated with pirates so I'm thinking I might do a bit of a pirate theme to my trailer I'll post pictures of the porch light when it is more done and half way assembled.....so that's my little update for today

Thanks for following my build

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs