Rob's Cabin (warning lots of pictures)

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Rob's Cabin (warning lots of pictures)

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 pm

I have glass mosaic tile on my galley counter. The tile is installed over 1/2" ply using PL Premium. The joints are filled with epoxy grout. I've not had any cracking of the joints or tile.

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 pm

aggie79 wrote:I have glass mosaic tile on my galley counter. The tile is installed over 1/2" ply using PL Premium. The joints are filled with epoxy grout. I've not had any cracking of the joints or tile.

Thanks that helps a lot...great pictures by the way I wonder if the PL Premium would work for marble tile with no grout lines as I'd like to have it butted up together.....
Thanks for following my build
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 pm

droid_ca wrote:Thanks that helps a lot...great pictures by the way I wonder if the PL Premium would work for marble tile with no grout lines as I'd like to have it butted up together.....
Thanks for following my build

I don't see why PL Premium would not work. You would need to make sure your marble is clean. (Often there is stone dust from the sawing/polishing operation in cutting stone.) Also, like I did with the glass tile, I suggest using a throwaway plastic notched trowel to spread the PL Premium before setting the tiles.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 pm

aggie79 wrote:I don't see why PL Premium would not work. You would need to make sure your marble is clean. (Often there is stone dust from the sawing/polishing operation in cutting stone.) Also, like I did with the glass tile, I suggest using a throwaway plastic notched trowel to spread the PL Premium before setting the tiles.

I'm also going to have some wood trim to help hold it in place so I'm hoping a combination of a bunch of little things should work

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 am

So it has been a while since I gave an actual update so I worked a bit more on my dinning area tonight we actually worked on it the other night but I was letting glue cure so today scraped off the exes glue and did some more sanding Wow this table seems to get lighter a bit more every day :D here is an updated picture of it
and I went to the hardware store today as I had an idea for some shelves that might give it a nice little touch so I'll be building a little shelf that goes under my table as it is approximately 4 feet wide and and varies in depth but is around 19-23 inches wide and I didn't want to do a hinged drawer as I feel it would take away from the beauty of the wood that I'm working with so for drawers I'm going to do these
still need to figure out a way to keep them in place while moving but I might just have a bungee cord that goes across ;) and then just do a little :worship: :worship: :worship: praying that they don't break free and for another feature as it is sorta pirate themed trailer I needed to add some more touches so I'm making a bathroom mirror of sorts it is in the beginning stages but you'll get the idea
Image I just need to cut some mirrors that I have and attach it to the back of this I'll be hinging the top in order to help it stay down but it is about 16 inches ta;; so I should be able to fit some stuff in behind it (razor shampoo toothbrush ect ect...) go my stool in today for me to sit at I didn't want something too comfy as then you might not want to get out of it 8) I'm sure we all have had a few of those days ;) so here is the stool that I got
The body of the stoolImage
The top of the stoolImage
So tomorrow I have an appointment to go look at some more wood, I'll be cutting up some other wood for cabinet doors possibly making a scaled down Grand father clock and staining it the same color as my mirror and if I have time I'll try and get started on building my bathroom as well as picking up my camper parts from 2 towns over so super busy day ahead, I'm starting to get really excited about this build
Well thanks for following I hope you enjoy my pictures and ideas :beer:

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 am

Man Rob, you have burnt up as many brain cells as I have planning and plotting your build(s).
I thought I was the only crazy man working on 2 builds at a time. ( Note: I am down to one project now ) I read the entire 5 pages of posts this morning I don't know how I had missed it. Lots of good ideas. I truly fell in love with your log counter that thing is awsome. If the log was somewhat green you may want to simply oil it for the 1st year of it's life so it won't grain release and crack. The oil will slow down the drying process and may help to avoid this problem. Simple vegatable oil toweled on ALL OVER top, bottom, back ,sides ,yep all over! If you want to darken it just use some very very strong coffee then oil it down.

Looks like you are making progress keep us posted !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby droid_ca » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:12 am

bobhenry wrote:Man Rob, you have burnt up as many brain cells as I have planning and plotting your build(s).
I thought I was the only crazy man working on 2 builds at a time. ( Note: I am down to one project now ) I read the entire 5 pages of posts this morning I don't know how I had missed it. Lots of good ideas. I truly fell in love with your log counter that thing is awsome. If the log was somewhat green you may want to simply oil it for the 1st year of it's life so it won't grain release and crack. The oil will slow down the drying process and may help to avoid this problem. Simple vegatable oil toweled on ALL OVER top, bottom, back ,sides ,yep all over! If you want to darken it just use some very very strong coffee then oil it down.

Looks like you are making progress keep us posted !

Thanks BobHenry the log in question has been cut some 40 years or more ago but I'll keep that in mind as I'm going to be looking at some more wood today hopefully I find some treasures your builds have been very inspiring for me as I like to see what creative ideas you come up with that I may borrow or alter to suite my own needs..yes having more then one build on the go can get confusing but I'm mainly focusing on this one at the moment it has gone through a few changes but nothing to drastic I hope.....Thank you for following my build progress and please keep the tips coming

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:02 am

So not much done today...but I did get a good score on some lumber got about 18 sticks of birch that has been dried for 5 bucks I plan on using it for some shelving as well as the skeletal framing of some of my cabinetry and possibly as some trim here and there...I have been thinking of my ideas and how to make the most out of my space...I'm still not sure of the loft thing but having upstairs storage might be handy to have...Does anyone else have storage above their trailer with the exception of externally mounted boxes and racks ...The roads were still bad and couldn't get my camper parts I'm hoping for tomorrow but who knows from the sounds of things the highway might get closed again..
Thank you all that are following my thread and if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to have an answer for you

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:53 am

OK you all know me nothing funnier than gasoline on a campfire :lol:

Rob here ya go.....

http://www.campertrailers.org/ians_kitchen.htm

Your trailer will be wide enough for bed across the front ( I think ). The dogs need a place to sleep. You need a kitchen (galley) so here is the mind blower.

Remember the Aussie full length pull out kitchens Build it to pull out the side at the front. When collapsed inside it will occupy the dogs sleeping area. Your bed will be mounted across the front above this area. A couple extra recievers frame mounted at the sides can act as supports for the extended galley. Might even get to use that skate board truck I was talking about as rollers. You may need a gazebo style popup or a tent for bad weather but the cooking and galley smells are outside of the tiny trailer. If you opted for a side door you could place it in other positions for rear extending to the side or rear extending to the rear.

My little Scottie seem to love to sleep under the pull out couch to bed in the barn build to be near me. (She has a great deal of courage or real respect for my tendancy to overbuild, as we all know she would be a greasy spot if the bed collapsed)

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby droid_ca » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks BobHenry that has been a considered idea as there was a trailer that had a side galley that I liked that was on the forum but my design has me cooking inside of my trailer ...One of the things I want to do is make Meals in a Bag (take leftovers and vacuum seal them and save for another day) so the cooking should be pretty easy....As for the bed I'm thinking I could probably get by with a futon couch...I'd still like to have some way of getting clean and a sponge and a bucket are out of the question I'd like a real bathing station (I have a few different ideas in mind for that)clothing can be just a suitcase that slides under the couch if done right all your cooking appliances can be also used as decorations We all have seen the cast iron fry pans hanging on the wall I'd do the same for maybe a fishing rod or two as well as some archery equipment I believe it could be tastefully done..as for the bathroom I'm thinking a sawdust toilette and have it in a corner out of the way I'd like to do a tri-fold door so when not in use it takes up very little space

Thanks again everyone for following my build

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin (Got Some Parts)

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:49 pm

So today was a good day y vehicle wouldn't start but Walter came and picked me up we drove 2 towns away and got my camper parts I know , NO :pictures: 's It Didn't Happen.... So here are some pictures
this is 2 of the sinks that I got today the double was in the camper but I grabbed the other one thinking I might need it as well....So what one would you use 2x9.5w-14.5l4.5d or9w12l6d
Hot water heater there is a little more too it but it's all buried right now
Propane heater, water tank and some other vents and what not
This is the door to the 3-way fridge it has some ugly looking wall paper on it so I'm thinking of doing a wooden insert maybe so that it can match the cupboards
[img][http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=284&image_id=99986/img]
This is the stove that needs to be repainted Bad picture I know no lights on in the garage and done with a cell phone...But I want to repaint the stove a different color ..I'm open to suggestions

Thanks for following my build as it slowly comes along

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin (Interesting electric goodies)

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:21 pm

As I'm like a kid in a candy store tonight I'm going through all my goodies and wanted to share 2 things
I got this light that came out of the bathroom of the camper it has a power point plug on it I know its not the prettiest of lights but I'm thinking maybe putting it under a cuboid or something so that it can shine on the counter top switch out the bulb for some LEDs
Then there is a fuse box it looks to be good I think I might get some more fuses for it so that I can use it in my trailer as well there are a total of 4 openings there is only a fuse in one of them so I'm thinking I could do something with the other three spaces....Any ideas as to what I could put on them???

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: Rob's Cabin (Interesting electric goodies)

Postby H.A. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:12 am

Then there is a fuse box it looks to be good I think I might get some more fuses for it so that I can use it in my trailer as well there are a total of 4 openings there is only a fuse in one of them so I'm thinking I could do something with the other three spaces....Any ideas as to what I could put on them???[/quote]

You might want to research Federal Pacific Electric circuit breakers before you commit to using the panel shown in your picture.
FPE is now out of business partly because of a claimed faulty design of breakers dont reliably trip when overloaded resulting several reported fires etc. Aftermarket FPE compatible breakers are expensive compared to other currently produced brands.
I have seen one twin 40 that failed to trip, In all fairness, that one was rather old and coastal enviroment deteriorated somewhat...

With that said, Far as I know there have never been any "official" recall of FPE products, Just they recieved so much bad press from the electrical trade and real estate business over the past years.
I dont have a problem with the FPE in my workshop, But I am more so aware of my electrical operations and loadtest the breakers every so often.
Bottom line... its up to you of course to use it or not, But just pointing out you might want to do some homework first.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby droid_ca » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks H.A. I never thought of that I think now I'll do some research on all of the parts that I got...is there any way to test this breaker or too do an upgrade on it?
Thanks for following my build thread and pointing out a potential hazard

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:01 am

biziedizie wrote:Rob, pick up a CSA approved breaker and your good to go. Get a GFC if you have the bucks, will save your live around dampness.

now can I use the same box or is it a different box?

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs