Saw something unusual!

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Saw something unusual!

Postby Bigwoods » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:02 pm

On the way to work today I saw what appeared to be the last 6" of an older Dodge Caravan converted to a trailer. It must have been a camper of some sort as it had a roof vent. Only saw the back quarter and back door, so I couldn't figure how he filled in the front. Unusual anyway.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby RC » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:33 pm

6 inches???
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Sorry About That

Postby Bigwoods » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:40 am

I meant the back 6 feet. Don't know how he did the front or the side dooor, but it was different. Strange thinks are done in North Dakota. It was 43 degress last night and we are tent camping tonight. My wife is going to fuss.

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby tdhombre » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:40 pm

You need to build yourself (and your wife) a teardrop. In comparison to tent camping, your will think your are at the Waldorf Astoria when camping and sleeping in a teardrop - don'tcha know, you betcha.

:D :D
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

About Ready

Postby Bigwoods » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:14 pm

Getting things lined up to do just that. I have some Model A fenders and wheels, just bought a used welder, and have an experienced craftsman to help me build the frame. This is a terrific place to formulate your ideas.

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby Marck » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:50 pm

a few years ago, I had a 96 Dodge Gran Caravan, I had some tranny problems, and got ahold of a cargo version Caravan for $500 bucks that had a good tranny, but a cracked head.
after pulling the tranny, and installing it in the good van, I pushed the "donor" van behind the house, right next to an old boat trailer. it sat there quite a while, and one day I was in the yard, and glanced back towards the van & trailer. For the point of view I was at, it looked like a trailer, with the boat trailer's tongue sticking out behind the van. Got me in motion.
Within 2 days I had cut the entire nose off the van from right at the rear of the front doors to the nose was gone. I used some 3" tubuler I had around to fashion a "V" tongue and welded it to the vans frame. I then had the task of putting a front on the thing. that was solved when the owner of a local junkyard came by to pick up the nose I had cut off. he mentioned that he had a Plymouth voyager in his junkyard with the entire front and most of the left side totalled. He liked my "van/trailer" so much he offered to cut the rear end off the one he had, right in front of where the rear hatch is. with some welding, alot of sanding, and some paint, I ended up with a trailer that perfectly matched my caravan, AND had both a front and rear opening hatch.

When we decided to sell that Caravan, the purchaser liked the trailer so much he gave us $1500 to throw it in with the van. I had never even gotten around to doing anything with the inside. I see him with it from time to time, he sells computers at those "shows" that go from town to town, and uses it to haul his stock.

anyway, your post got me remembering it. Now that we have a different Plymouth Voyager.. maybe it's time to build another to match it.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:48 pm

I always thought that would be more fun to do with an old VW westfolia camper van. A tent trailer with more bang for the buck. But it would be heavy the engine compartment could be filled with a gerator.

hmm ... how about a Tvan, Westy, Kamp Master teardrop with a slide out kitchen.

With all the tents out it would look like a Road Toad in heat.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs