The Box

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

The Box

Postby DavidMcC » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:41 am

Ok, plans didn't work out the way I wanted on my last trailer. I used PVC pipe and approx. 1/8" ply and it met my needs...it was light, it was good size I could stand in it, I actually kind of liked the way it looks. Its bolted together and can be taken down therein lies the problem....Its a PITA to take down and I will get hurt if doing it myself.
So onto project number two....I am dubbing this one "The Box"
I have a lowes trailer 5x8 walk on. My thoughts are make a box that will be 5x8, I am thinking 2x4s at the four corners on both the walls and the ends and then I can bolt the walls and ends together using L brackets. and no top yet. I will be using some 15/32 inch plywood that I have and can get more of from Lowes relatively cheap (notice the word cheap and light that's what I'm after) At the back (where the gate is) I will cut a section approx. 3 feet wide out and this will be the door. Next my thought is run some 2x2 around the inside at the top and then add another 2 foot section all the way around that is hinged so when erect the box will become 6 foot tall.

I have played with the idea of adding a room off to the side that would be just a bunk...and if I do that I am toying with the idea of making the walls out of 2" foam and some thin cheap (there it is again cheap lol) plywood as a skin. and then in the side of the Box just put a hole about 3x3 in the wall and some how mount the bunk unit at the campsite right up using bolts or something like that. The bunk could be held up by four 2x4s or the metal bars that adjust for a truckbed. the bunk is a nessisaty just a thought.

The other thought I have been looking at the "foamy" ideas and that's a thought, but it also sounds like a lot of work.

My real concern is driving down the road and having this thing blow apart....imagine that I want light cheap AND now I don't want it to blow apart...I'm pretty demanding eh?

The top I forgot to mention at the moment I'm thinking will be a tarp I have the top that I did for the PVC frame and I actually really like it.
Weather....I camp in the summer not too concerned about rain
Its home is in my garage so not out in the elements.
Another question for you...stabalizers. I have seen those types that fold down and I really like those. but what about jack stands? would that be a bad idea? If its attached to the car not a big issue but if its not attached to the car....I have already gone for a ride while working on the the first go around lol not much fun. I'm sure I will have more questions but for now I just wanted to get your thoughts. Thank You
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Box

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:27 am

Interesting design.

Some observations:

First, there is no need for insulation in the walls if there is no or only a tarp roof.

Second, there is going to be a lot of air flow in the box while traveling. I suppose this is a lot like the open bed of a truck or a towed boat. Really cannot store anything in the Box unless it is very heavy eg 30+ lbs or tied down. Obviously, rain/wet roads could be an issue.

Third, you will have to think about where to put the fold up walls. Experiment with a cardboard box. Folding them in means front and back walls will contact the side walls. The side walls might contact each other. Folding them out means they cannot be any taller than the walls they are sitting on. And remember the wheels/fenders. Do you need hinges that turn through over 180 degrees to make it work?

Similarly, wood changes dimensions. Bolt holes might be hard to align. Spring loaded tension clasps or the like might be more appropriate.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Re: The Box

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:15 pm

Another question for you...stabalizers. I have seen those types that fold down and I really like those. but what about jack stands? would that be a bad idea? If its attached to the car not a big issue but if its not attached to the car....I have already gone for a ride while working on the the first go around lol not much fun. I'm sure I will have more questions but for now I just wanted to get your thoughts.

Jack stands can work and some people have done that. The problem is that it's one more thing to lug along and put in place each time. If the trailer chassis has stabilizers attached, all you have to do is pull them down and adjust the height. Easy.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs