Removable hard top for flatbed utility trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Removable hard top for flatbed utility trailer

Postby dhally » Thu May 16, 2024 2:01 pm

We got an Aluma flatbed utility trailer several years ago. We love it - it is lightweight, has suspension, and a nice long tongue. When we go RVing, we put motorcycles, bicycles, inflatable boats, and extra camping equipment in it. Now we're thinking it would be nice to have a hard cover, mainly for security if we leave it at a campsite or just for parking in a city etc. My idea is to build lightweight bolt-together panels. That way I could remove the cover to use the trailer open, and the removable parts would be easy to handle, and could stack up for easy storage as well. Instead of removing it all in one piece, which would require jacks and a large storage space. The trailer has stake sides, and I have already welded a 1.5x1.5 aluminum tube to the sides to stiffen them up for my MC tie downs.

Probably to biggest question will be whether to make it weather tight, and I'm thinking no. The panels would be waterproof, but it will be impractical to seal the joints. I'm hoping to tap the brain trust here for some ideas on construction methods and possible additional uses for the trailer while camping.

- What type of construction might work for the panels?
- The roof should be in at least 2 pieces for easy handling.
- Any ideas on what kind of rear door would work? I would like to keep the bifolding ramp/tailgate but don't want people to see inside.
- Another idea would be to mount solar panels on top to boost our electrical while camping. Any experience with roof solar mounting/dismounting?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Aluma 6380 flatbed
SE Washington State
dhally
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs