Looking for something "different" ion a tear

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Looking for something "different" ion a tear

Postby Marck » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:15 pm

I have spent the last few weeks searching the web for teardrop plans, ideas, etc. I know it's cliche, but I got interested by watching that same show on the Travel channel that everyone seems to have seen.

Anyway, I really want to build one, BUT, my wife and I have 4 children, plus I have 2 daughters from a previous marriage, who spend alot of time with us. I'd like to build one in some way that at least 6 of us could get into. I found plans for a tear with an upper and lower bunk. and had some ideas floating around in my head of maybe designing one where one side would "slide out" expanding the trailer to almost twice it's width. If anyone knows of any "strange" plans like this out there, help finding them would be great.

8)
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Rick R » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:42 am

You want to get 6 kids and two adults in one camper? You are a better man than I, Gunga Din!

Seriously tho, if you want to stay away from conventional campers, then you might want to consider a pickup with a camper slide-in for a tow vehical, plus something like a "canned ham". If you build them yourself, you could even build them to match each other. This would give you the bed space you need, plus the indoor space for everyone when the weather gets bad. And both would be projects that a home builder can do.
Rick R
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:05 am

Seems to me back in the old day, folks used the tear for hauling equipment. Once at camp, they would unload all the equipment and set up the tent, and that's where the kids would sleep.

The adults got the benefit of the mattress in the teardrop.

You're going to have a hard time fitting 6 people into a 2 man teardrop...

It could be done, but the size is going to be stretching it a bit... it'll be more like a tiny travel trailer.

One thing you can do is put a double width bunk across the front, and an double width bunk across the back. Then on the floor level you can have a queen sized bed. That would work as long as your 4 kids don't need a bed longer than 60".

I do like Rick R's thoughts on the matching camper and canned ham.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:32 am

Hi,

If your going to build a tear capable of sleeping 6-8 your going to need a substantially larger camper and tow vehicle than what is traditionally defined a s a Teardrop. That being said, there is no reason why you couldn’t build a small travel trailer with teardrop features; i.e.; outside galley, rounded front and slopped back.

If going camping is your prime goal then you’d be better off to buy a used pop-up and hit the road. You could do like chip and I have done and buy a derelict camper cheep and recycle all the components as a camper of your own design and save a bundle too.

Try this link for ideas, http://www.glen-l.com/campers/glenlrv.html

Regards, Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Re: Looking for something "different" ion a tear

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:22 pm

Marck wrote:I

Anyway, I really want to build one, BUT, my wife and I have 4 children, plus I have 2 daughters from a previous marriage, who spend alot of time with us. I'd like to build one in some way that at least 6 of us could get into. I found plans for a tear with an upper and lower bunk. and had some ideas floating around in my head of maybe designing one where one side would "slide out" expanding the trailer to almost twice it's width. If anyone knows of any "strange" plans like this out there, help finding them would be great.

8)

Marck,

What do you have now to pull one with there are thing one can add to cars vans, suv's and trucks so you can sleep more people.

what have you looked at so far that has caught your interest.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs