Maybe ripping down an old trailer for tear

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Maybe ripping down an old trailer for tear

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:09 am

It looks like I will be getting an old trailer that has sat in my mother inlaws back yard for 20 years.

It is a 1971 Shasta Astrodome model 16-3c made in Northridge. the tag on the back issued by the California State Dev of housing #22901

It has a single axel is about 20' by 6'

The inside has wood ceiling over tung over head bed, sink, stove, jon, and storage.

I have not climbed under it to look at the frame but wonder if the axel would have to be totally replaced. and the cost of that might be more then just getting a Harbor freight frame. The difference would be having a small teardrop/ Tvan or a kampmaster.

Still thinking it through.

I tried emailing gage somewhere along the line to see what he did with the stuff he cut off his old trailer to make his tear. Keep it for collectors, does it go to the junk yard and howmuch do you pay them to take it?

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:50 am

It kind of depends what you want. Taking an old heap of a trailer and converting it might seem like a decent idea till you are faced with a mountain of trash to deal with, a lot of conversion work, etc.

The h/f trailer is $349 delivered. No rust (I recommend a coat of rustoleum over the cheap paint job, though), new bearings, tires, etc.

Point is, keep some reality in mind when you look at this 'freebie'. It might not seem so free.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Joseph » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:03 am

arnereil wrote:The h/f trailer is $349 delivered. No rust (I recommend a coat of rustoleum over the cheap paint job, though)

Actually, it's powder-coated and rustoleum doesn't stick to it very well - I painted mine silver to cover that God-awful Chinese red and I'm constantly having to touch-up.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Arne » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:50 am

Mine scratches pretty easy. I'm surprised it's powder coated, but if so, all the better.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:29 pm

Ron,

After just scrapping out an old pop-up for parts my advice if your getting the trailer for free is to sell it to someone who wants a project or a play house for the kids and buy a new trailer for the tear. Maybe advertise it in a barter column and try to trade it for a suitable used utility trailer that might be better suited for a Teardrop.

I finally pushed our trash man to the limit and he refused to take the last pile of junk I hauled to the curb. I’ll have to pay to leave it at the dump. The frame is of questionable construction and very rusty. The tires are done and the springs are soft from age. On the upside I do have an ugly harvest gold sink and ice box and a rusty two burner stove that I’ll probably toss in favor of a new Brinkman stainless camp stove and Colman stainless cooler.

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby Marck » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:46 pm

See here's where we differ.. I can burn any old wood in my outdoor fireplace, have a guy who will take ANY metal i am scrapping, and for what little is left... i get 3 large cans of garbage a week included with my lot rent.. and rarely ever fill even 2.

hehehe the situation you are in also can be a difference maker when looking at a "freebie"... wish i had that camper here :lol:

My one neighbor up the road is a junk dealer... he just "salvaged" 3 smaller old camper out of the river from the flood 2 weeks ago... trying my damnedest to talk him out of the 1950 something aluminium camper he got... OR any of the 3 of em.
Kinda want the aluminium one though because it is about 14' long, and I noticed that the aluminium roof is one continous piece... now the thing is almost 8 feet wide..sooo I could use that piece for the roof of my six-pack.. IF I can get it off without ruining it... looks like about 400 rivets holding it on.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:09 pm

of-thestorm wrote:Kinda want the aluminium one though because it is about 14' long, and I noticed that the aluminium roof is one continous piece... now the thing is almost 8 feet wide..sooo I could use that piece for the roof of my six-pack.. IF I can get it off without ruining it... looks like about 400 rivets holding it on.

What a joy to have a junk man down the road, I'd be there every weekend.

I found a site that might help with removing rivits other wise go to you search engine and enter in removing rivits.

I think I will post this answer on the tips one. Snece I have not figured if there is a way to post it in two place at once.

http://www.tabshred.com/moe/rvt-remo.htm

In my case it looks like I will be building one that I can fit into the back of the truck bed and then later find or build a trailer for it.

But I am going to talk with several people as to what if I ripped this one down.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs