Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build (Completed: 6/22/2013)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build (Completed: 6/22/2013)

Postby Doobby » Fri May 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Not sure if you still reply to this thread, but I have a question regarding the long term durability of one of the parts.

You rear hatch overhangs the side with the outer skin. This skin is 1/8", if I understand the drawings correctly. Has this 1/8"" thick material held up well in the overhang area? It seems a little thin to me because the weather seal material has to compress agains the top of the sidewall and the bottom of the hatch overhang (the 1/8" think material).

Please do not think that I'm knocking your design. I'm very impressed with your teardrop. I only ask to see if it's held up well.

Are there any other modifications from the original design in the area of the rear hatch seal that you've made over time?

Thanks in advance.
Doobby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby _Ryan_ » Tue May 17, 2016 8:18 am

Yep I'm still around! Good question.

Doobby wrote:Not sure if you still reply to this thread, but I have a question regarding the long term durability of one of the parts.

You rear hatch overhangs the side with the outer skin. This skin is 1/8", if I understand the drawings correctly. Has this 1/8"" thick material held up well in the overhang area? It seems a little thin to me because the weather seal material has to compress agains the top of the sidewall and the bottom of the hatch overhang (the 1/8" think material).

You are correct in your understanding, and the hatch has held up great over the last 3 years. The 1/8" material is more than strong enough, and paired with the epoxy coating it becomes even stronger. The weather seal is remarkably pliable and compresses rather easily, so there aren't any pressure concerns with the hatch skin.

Doobby wrote:Are there any other modifications from the original design in the area of the rear hatch seal that you've made over time?

Not a single one surprisingly. We have had no issues ever with water intrusion.
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby WitsRUs » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:41 pm

Ryan, here are a few pics of my finished product on a trip to northern NM.

Thanks for all the help and guidance. --- Bob
WitsRUs
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:27 am

Wow, great location!

Thanks for the inspirational pics. Nice. :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:10 pm

Wow!!! :o Super Job Bob!!! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby _Ryan_ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:38 pm

WitsRUs wrote:Ryan, here are a few pics of my finished product on a trip to northern NM.

Thanks for all the help and guidance. --- Bob

My pleasure Bob! I'm excited to see you are out enjoying it! I love to see these things come together so beautifully! Enjoy your hard work! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Ryan
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby _Ryan_ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:13 pm

So it has been 3 years and I thought it was time for an update. The Wyoming Woody has now explored over 6,000 miles and we have enjoyed some 30 odd nights with it in campsites, RV parks, and of course the wild.

For those of you who are curious about the long term durability and quality issues there have amazingly been NONE (knock on wood :D ). No leaks, loose bolts, or wiring issues besides going through 3 trailer light converter boxes! The finish still looks like new, of course I have kept it garaged between trips which makes a huge difference. Next year I plan to add some aluminum wheels and add some more coats of spar varnish to try to get out those last few imperfections. :D

On a personal note due to work we have moved to northern Virginia which has led us to do some camping on the beaches of Virginia and North Carolina which is a fun new experience after having it in the mountains. During the move we sent our stuff by truck and we took our time and camped our way across the country in the teardrop, serious fun! Wyoming Woody now in Virginia, go figure! I am looking for some gatherings out here, so if anyone has some suggestions or is near by I would love to hear your suggestions.

My plans for the Wyoming Woody on my blog have been received better than I ever expected and I have been contacted by at least a dozen builders who are building one or at least using them as a starting point for their own builds. I had such a great time designing and building it and I love to see others enjoying the same process and help out when I can. There have been a lot of good and creative modifications to by original plans that I get a kick out of following. Thanks again for all the great feedback, comments, and help over the years!

Here is are a few pictures of our adventures! Hope to see you out there!

Cheers,
Ryan

_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby 3GKnight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Nice. Thanks for the update!

For a second there, I thought that was a nekkid guy standing in the background of the 2nd to last pic. lol. On second look, it's a kid in a pink shirt standing in front of said guy.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:16 pm

So I have loved your design and look but opted to go for the more angular weekender profile. I just got done with the epoxy on the sidewalls (winter is coming) and have to ask for sanity purposes. Close up is your finish as clean as it looks from a far? I am finding it damn near impossible to keep from looking at each every dust particle drying in my epoxy.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dakippen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Ryan - I have gone through your build and downloaded your plans and will hopefully incorporate what you've done into what I'm thinking. Is it possible to raise the bottom about 6" to add some type of storage space?

Debbie
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67862

Doing at almost 60 what I should have done at 20....
dakippen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I saw you heading West bound on I-84 early last week as we where heading East from Oregon? :thinking:
Still looks great! :thumbsup:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Longn46 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:12 pm

Hello!

I'm trying to download the CNC file off the main website but the link to the file seems to be broken. Would anyone happen to have a copy of it? Thanks!
Longn46
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WhitneyK » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Update: 9/28/21
I went to the website below and requested the file. He emailed it to me the next day.

Try his website: http://teardropbuilder.com/plans-design-documents/wyoming-woody-teardrop-plans
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby kevinwdavies » Wed May 11, 2022 3:55 am

Hi, I'm in the middle of my build using the plans Ryan posted, and I'm trying to figure out the size of that skylight. I see in the plans that the frame spacing is 40 x 12-3/16", but I'm not used to translating framing dimensions to window dimensions, and I haven't spotted anywhere where some has listed the window size. The closest that I've seen are posts about Vintage Technologies having a 9x40 skylight, but I don't see that in their listings any longer. If anyone knows the size, or recommends a slightly different size, I'd appreciate it - I'm not quite to the point of framing the roof yet, so I can still make tweaks in the spacing if I have to!
Thanks! Kevin
kevinwdavies
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wynsome » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:04 pm

Hi Thanks for the photos. I am visual, and this is going to help us as we start our build.
Wynsome
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals