Tom & Shelly's build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tom & Shelly's build

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:14 pm

Just realized we hit a bit of a milestone last week--we exceeded 36 nights in our teardrop (happened to be in Sabago Lake in Maine when we did it)--so we've spent 10% of the year sleeping in the Cabin Fever!

We are now at 40 nights, and are planning a trip to Rhode Island and Connecticut next week. Hopefully, we'll get in another trip after that before the cold weather drives us back to New Mexico for the Winter.

So far no major problems (knock Baltic birch!)

Several times, hitting unexpected bumps, I've seen air under the tires in the rearview mirror. No damage noted :worship: .

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:42 pm

Just say the word if you need any advice on things to see and do in southeastern CT.

First couple of things that come to mind are Gillette's Castle and Mystic Seaport.

There are plenty if vineyards on "the wine trail", but to be honest, for regional wines I think upstate NY's are better than CT's.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:46 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Several times, hitting unexpected bumps, I've seen air under the tires in the rearview mirror.

Tom

My trailer recently weighed 505 kg loaded and ready to camp. The springs are rated at 600 kg. ALKO rate their springs at the weight required to cause 50mm / 2" of deflection.
So most of the time all I see in the rearview mirror is the very satisfying sight of the trailer riding level while the wheel moves up and down.
But every now and then, I too see air. Very disconcerting isn't it? Never seems to be any damage though. I always find everything right where I left it. :scratchthinking:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby bdosborn » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:14 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote: we've spent 10% of the year sleeping in the Cabin Fever!

Ahhh, life is good. :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:37 pm

... and Clyde's Cider Mill. Perfect thing to do in the fall when they are pressing. (Make sure to go around to the cellar at the side where they sell their hard cider.) ;) :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:04 am

KCStudly wrote:Just say the word if you need any advice on things to see and do in southeastern CT.

First couple of things that come to mind are Gillette's Castle and Mystic Seaport.

There are plenty if vineyards on "the wine trail", but to be honest, for regional wines I think upstate NY's are better than CT's.

Thank you KC. We are certainly interested in ideas.

My taste runs to a visit to the Submarine Force Museum, while the reason we are going to Connecticut this particular weekend is a doll house convention in Windsor*. We also plan on 2 days in and around Mystic, and another day to visit a doll house store somewhere in Mass. south of Boston.

Tom and Shelly

* As an aside: Most of the doll house interest is by Shelly, who likes building doll houses and furniture. However, I've (Tom) noticed there is a market for buying completed doll houses, sometimes in the 4 or even 5 digit range! May be worth investing a day or two to try and understand that market. I've long wanted to build a log cabin, but may never have that opportunity, and thought the next best thing would be a model, using some of the same techniques. (Real branches with taper and bends--not dowels like Lincoln logs!) Figured I could then sell it to the parents of a 4 year old Laura Ingalls for--say--$20. Shelly tells me I could aim much higher...
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:13 am

MickinOz wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:
Several times, hitting unexpected bumps, I've seen air under the tires in the rearview mirror.

Tom

My trailer recently weighed 505 kg loaded and ready to camp. The springs are rated at 600 kg. ALKO rate their springs at the weight required to cause 50mm / 2" of deflection.
So most of the time all I see in the rearview mirror is the very satisfying sight of the trailer riding level while the wheel moves up and down.
But every now and then, I too see air. Very disconcerting isn't it? Never seems to be any damage though. I always find everything right where I left it. :scratchthinking:

Extremely disconcerting! I'm afraid someday the tear will become unhitched on a fast and busy highway.

Far as stuff moving internally, we occasionally see the pots tipped a little, and once or twice a book bounced out of the case. Nothing to complain about there.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:28 am

I suggest calling ahead for particulars on the sub museum. I think they are closed on Tuesdays, and, technically, it is a government facility annexed to the SUBASE. Current protical for govt facilities is that you have to fill out an affidavit that you have been vaccinated (not sure if that applies to the museum... I suspect not, but best to call ahead).
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 am

KCStudly wrote:I suggest calling ahead for particulars on the sub museum. I think they are closed on Tuesdays, and, technically, it is a government facility annexed to the SUBASE. Current protical for govt facilities is that you have to fill out an affidavit that you have been vaccinated (not sure if that applies to the museum... I suspect not, but best to call ahead).

Thanks KC. We know about it being closed on Tuesdays. We have our vaccination cards if necessary. But we'll check with them before heading that way.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby rjgimp » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:10 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:so we've spent 10% of the year sleeping in the Cabin Fever!
Tom

I triple DOG dare you to make it to 25%!

:applause: :vroom:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Just realized we hit a bit of a milestone last week--we exceeded 36 nights in our teardrop (happened to be in Sabago Lake in Maine when we did it)--so we've spent 10% of the year sleeping in the Cabin Fever!

We are now at 40 nights,

WOW! Livin' my dream. Spending a month (or more) traveling out on the road. Sounds great Tom. Enjoy your adventures.
I used to live in "little rhody". Interesting areas there. Nice beaches. RISD Art Museum. College hill (Brown U) I'd encourage you to visit Cape Cod. Not too far away and a paradise, if you've never been.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:18 am

Thanks all! Don't think we'll make it to 25% nights in the tear this year--we'll try and start earlier next year.

We are almost at 25% of the states. But that statistic isn't fair, since we "piled on" with New England. (Of course, we won't get to 100% unless we do something very unusual regarding Hawaii.)

On our trip last week, we went to New Bedford MA (as well as eastern Connecticut and some of Rhode Island), but didn't make it to Cape Cod. Gives us something to go back for! Off hand, someday we also need to go further up the Maine coast, camp in the Pine Barrens in New Jersey, as well as along the NJ coast, back to see more in Philadelphia, and do a lot more camping in Western PA.

Then there is Eastern Canada (once this Covid thing is over), and the states we haven't been to yet, or merely passed through. Summers are too short!

Hopefully, we'll do some Winter camping in the Southwest as well.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby noseoil » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:24 am

The maritime provinces of Canada are great to travel in during the summer months. There is so much to see out there, looks like this was a great summer to start traveling & seeing the sights. Looking forward to more travel pictures & camping stuff.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 pm

We've now been using Cabin Fever since the end of April, including a trip to my Mom's house in Upstate NY with many trips from there to New England and the Mid- Atlantic. This is intended as a bit of a progress report on what has worked and what we need to fix and improve.

I figure we've spent 53 nights in the teardrop so far this year, almost 15% of a year. (But the year isn't over yet, and the clock only started the last week in April. We have some ideas for some Winter camping here in the relatively warm Southwest!) From Google Maps, I estimate we drove it about 9150 miles.

Less importantly for wear and tear, but for bragging rights, Cabin Fever has so far rolled over 21 states. (We left it in Pennsylvania when visiting the USS New Jersey in Camden.)

So far, we've seen temperatures down to the high 30's up to perhaps the high 80's at night, from single digit to nearly 100% humidity. We've had it in thunderstorms with strong cold rain and wind, and many nights with warm steady rain. Generally speaking, we had a comfortable dry sleeping compartment, much more so than our tent ever was.

After the first two trips, where we used a modified futon mattress, we took Tony's hint and bought a mattress from the Foam factory. I'm not sure Shelly would have divorced me if we didn't take that step, but she would have divorced the teardrop for sure. For my part, I slept better on that mattress than I did in the guest bed at Mom's house.

Our Climaterite has worked both as heater (1 night) and air conditioner (many nights). (Of course, we need shore power to use it.) One issue is that it drained not only out the drain hole but also onto the utility room floor. Not sure if that is because I buggered the hose when re-installing it at one point, or if the unit itself condenses water that doesn't get collected and sent to it's drain. Our jury rig solution was rags blocking the water from other items stored in the compartment, but our Winter fix will, I hope, involve a drip pan to contain the water wherever it came from, sending it down the drain hole in the floor.

Also, I mounted the Climatrite's control panel on the headboard bulkhead, down near the mattress. It's difficult to read, and the Climaterite's mode doesn't always sync with the indications on the remote, which also seemed to suffer from dead batteries on our last night. I think the solution will be to remount the control on a hinged panel, so we can fold it up to operate.

After some time in the humidity of the Northeast, the silverware drawer in the galley sticks. I think the problem is that the wood swelled to the point the edges scrape against the bottom of the counter. Now I know (I suspect) why most counters have the sides 1/8 - 1/4 inches below the top. I think I can figure out how to achieve that with our router and table.

The humidity also got to the moving parts on our bookcase. Not quite sure how I'll fix that. I thought that the wood would go back after we returned to dryer regions, but not so far. While the bookcase was working, with bookends sliding to pinch the books, they seemed to stay more or less in place, so I'll call that a success.

As time went on, we accumulated more and more stuff in the utility compartment. One of these is the wheel for the jack. We decided we like a metal pad better, so we bought one, but kept the wheel, which will now be put away in our garage. We need to clean out the compartment, and find better ways to store what we need. Clips to hold the crank for the legs out of the way, for example. Also, Shelly plans on making bags for things that get wet, like the shore power cord, and the mats we use under the cabin doors. The bags should contain some of the wet grass and dirt we can't get off when packing.

Incidentally, we found we like to deploy the four legs at night, when unhitched. Gives the tear more stability. Glad we included them.

Also in the utility compartment, I left the electrical connections to the USB ports in the headboard somewhat unprotected against rough handling when pulling out or putting away stuff. I plan to make some small wooden boxes to protect the backs of the USB ports.

Shelly made us a leveling step from Tony's plans, with two 2x planks that fit together using dowels. Worked great for us (aside from not having room to store them properly in the utility compartment, which we''ll work on) except the dowels swelled to the point it took a screwdriver to get them apart. We will drill out the holes a little larger.

The electrical stuff worked well. No blown fuses or mystery problems. In high humidity, when there was no shore power, we ran the overhead vent fan all night, which ran the battery down about 5%. That was our major draw, which implies we can spend about 10 nights at a campsite without recharging.

In the East, it's always cloudy, even when it isn't raining. Usually we were parked in a spot with thick trees. Solar panels there are not to be counted on. Our TV did a great job charging. A 5 hour drive would always at least give us back 10 to 15%. A dc-dc converter might help, but isn't a high priority given our needs.

Our Coleman propane stove is adequate, but not very adjustable. I want a Partner Steel Co. stove for Christmas! Although the green 1 lb propane tanks weren't much of a problem, mounting our 11 lb tank (currently unused) would be fun, and would save a few pennies.

We spent way too much on ice on these trips. I think I will experiment with building a cooler out of 2 inch foam insulation and fiber glass, with some space to keep sodas in ice, but easy to get to, and a rack to keep some foods above the ice and dry.

This comment is more of a reflection on the way we camped this year: We were there to sight-see, not to visit the wilderness. We didn't use our dutch ovens much, nor did we build many fires. We had a lot of easy to prepare meals, and often ate out. I believe our habits will change when our camping does.

We saw two types of rain. Colorado thunderstorms with cool horizontal rain, and east coast hot, humid, vertical rain with no wind. For the T-storms, we sometimes had to close the windows in the cabin doors, and even lower the roof vent for short periods, to prevent rain from blowing in. Right now, the windows can only be open full or closed. We need to modify them so we can crack them for sufficient ventilation. This would also help for Winter camping, when we want a warm cabin but still need some ventilation.

For the vertical rain, it would be nice to have some sort of protection just outside the cabin doors. Our Eazy-up filled the need adequately, but we also wanted it to supplement the hatch when cooking in the galley. I know there are many ideas for awnings for teardrops, and we need one. How about a couple of large umbrellas that clip to the tear near each door hinge? Gives us some protection as we take our shoes off before climbing in.

The Eazy-up fits over the hatch, but the seams leak. I discovered that as Shelly sat comfortably under the hatch, while I sat just beyond. Water ran down the frame and fell on me. Since Shelly refused to trade places, I think we need to waterproof the seams!

At some places back east, the mosquitoes were fierce! I know that isn't exclusive to that region, and our solution was a mosquito net under the Eazy-up, supplemented with a device that converts butane and poison into a pleasant smelling mist that kills the little buggers, while only increasing our cancer risk slightly. We need a place to store that thing in the tear galley. Also, the bottom of the net got dirty, and the openings had to be clipped shut with clothes-pins. Shelly will work on the latter, while I come up with a new organizer for the galley.

Instant coffee got to be a drag after the first day. Shelly bought a hand press that works well, but it too needs a permanent home in the galley. It is a bit labor intensive in the morning. Of course, when we are on shore power, a regular coffee maker would do, if we can find space for it. Considering 12 v days, I'm wondering if I couldn't convert one somehow to not heat the water (which takes a lot of power best supplied by propane), but pumps the water through the machine? I have a few old coffee makers in our junk collection to experiment on... :thinking:

We needed a place to air our dish rag. Shelly found a solution with a large handle in a thrift store in Ithaca NY. I borrowed Mom's tools and mounted it on the water drawer in the tear. (I'll take a picture one of these days.) Good enough for a permanent solution.

OK, that's our "to-do" list to make our tear even better. Sorry for all the writing without photos, but as we make the improvements, we'll take pictures and show them here. I hope this may be interesting to those, particularly, who are in the building stages now.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Instant coffee got to be a drag...

OUCH.

Instant? C'mon! :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member