Toby Camper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Toby Camper

Postby Dan Gary » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:25 pm

Funny, I’ve never named any of my vehicles, boats, motorcycles, RV or trucks by a personal name. So when I decided to build my own micro camper, I wondered again if I should name it? We have a miniature Morkie, a Maltese and Yorkie mix who travels with us. He’s 11 now and getting to be an old guy and he loves camping. We just came back from Utah and Colorado with him on our month long campout in our pop up. So, the idea of naming our new camper Toby is sounding good and he’ll love getting out with us again soon.

Toby will be a Grasshopper Square Drop 5x11 standee. I recently purchased a Dilly boat trailer (4” C channel) that I’m presently restoring (sanding & priming with Rustoleum rust primer). The frame will get squared off rectangular at the front with some welding modifications. Since I’m a carpenter and not a welder, this will be stick frame (2x2 & 2x3) construction with 1/4 inch or 1/8” exterior plywood/luan and 1/4 “ interior with block foam. Have’t decided yet whether it will have an aluminum skin or fiberglass and paint it.

I’ve been mulling over a rear kitchen galley and I realize we never cooked in our pop up camper, nor did we use the outside stove that hung on the wall. We prefer cooking with a 2 burner propane stove at a picnic table as well as washing dishes. We also use a 12x12 dining tent when there’s room at the campsite or cold wet weather is forecast. So, I realized we don’t need a rear outside kitchen galley and therefore could benefit with a more optimal rear entry design like a slide in truck bed camper. They’re designed with an inside galley on one side and a dinette on the other. Our real need for an inside galley would be for brushing our teeth, washing our hands and have a coffee pot. I’ve considered fold down seats and table for the dinette or make permanent benches with cushions 16x16 and storage and a table to drop down to bridge the other seats, add another cushion and have a mini couch. We’re working a Thetford cassette toilet in the build along with A/C. Come to Texas and you’ll know what I mean. The queen side bed will have storage drawers underneath and outside basement access.

Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Re: Toby Camper

Postby popper » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 am

What are you planning for the design of the front? I'm curious about sqared off fronts and possible interference issues with the tow vehicle. Majority of trailers I have seen, I feel they waste use able front space with a too cautious design. In something such as a mini trailer where every square foot counts, why not optimize it.

I think its more appropriate to name something you have built from scratch rather than with a production line vehicle where you have bought it already made. I'm right with you on the door placement and the rest of it!
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dan Gary » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:39 pm

popper wrote:What are you planning for the design of the front?

Hey Popper, a Grasshopper front end but a more radical slope off the first angle to the roof. Because this is the bed area we can cut out allot of wasted space and pick up a more aerodynamic front end. Designing the front angle at the bed bunk can utilize the angle to slide the mattress into and pick up an extra foot.
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan Gary » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:14 am

A rendering of the camper build. Deb and I talked about building in a mini dinette opposite the galley however we’d like to try this open floor design that could be utilized for dining/sitting with folding lawn chairs and folding table. While traveling, we could store our extra gear along the wall adjacent to the galley and still have room for camper access to the cooler, potty and perhaps bed for resting.167279
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan Gary » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 am

This is Toby, our 11 year old Morkie, whom the camper is named after. 167289
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan Gary » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:58 am

Rear door access (24x72). Left side galley (50”) and front queen bed.167292
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby popper » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:05 am

Good layout, liking the front overhang too. Not sure if a traditional V nose makes better use of space versus something like this. I feel like a wide trailer with a sideways bed may be better with this. And then the question of which is better aero..
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dan Gary » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 pm

popper wrote:Good layout, liking the front overhang too. Not sure if a traditional V nose makes better use of space versus something like this..

Did you mean a traditional grasshopper front end on a tear drop? Here’s an example of a grasshopper that slopes less steeply than mine to give the front good headroom for a lower teardrop. I think the 1 foot advantage at sliding the mattress in the crotch of the V increases the galley area by a foot. 167293
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby popper » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:33 pm

No I meant like a Vee nose cargo trailer type front shape. That style also offers a lot of extra space.

So its 5x11.. How much width overhang each side over the wheels, like 9"? Six and a half feet wide total? How long is your square portion of the trailer versus the length of your triangle portion?
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dan Gary » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:32 am

Popper, not building over wheels but up to them and have 60”. Where I square up the frame at the front relative to the top of the triangle is maybe 20”. No room for a tongue box but will have a huge basement storage and the battery will be under the bunk with outside access and near the axle. Cooler in galley will also be near the axle as my heaviest items will be more centered over the axle. The main reason I ditched the rear kitchen galley design was that I’d have needed to extend the rear of the trailer because of the door location at the side rear relative to the wheel. Extending the rear would have changed my 40/60 ratio and made it back heavy along with the dead load of the galley, cooler, water etc. so, being perched so far forward on the frame might give me a little more tongue weight which I hear isn’t bad. BTW, enjoying the chat and comparing notes. I’m very much the beginner here and have allot to learn.
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan Gary » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:17 am

A question regarding building an insulated floor to mount to my trailer frame. The frame measures 53 3/4” wide between the wheels. The frame is backset from the wheels about 3 1/2”. I’d like to build the floor out over the frame about 2 3/4” and obtain an overall exterior width of 59 1/4”. I considered using a 2x6 base plate to wrap around the perimeter in a plywood sandwiched insulated floor and bolt to the C channel. Does this structurally sound or should I weld outriggers and keep the floor system totally supported at the perimeter?167308167307
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby popper » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:49 am

I would try cantilevering the edges so they hang over myself. Even without getting into metal work. Probably I would hang over even more than you describe. But then I have zero experience at this type of thing so all I have to go by is gut feeling on materials strength. I guess it depends on how many two by's one uses in the end. And not just two by spacing but also ply thickness! One would need to take a weight hit and cost hit stepping up the base, but I think it shouldn't be too bad. I am still wrestling with these design choices myself.. no idea what I am doing. I'll be waiting in this thread to see some answers from those who have done it.

In listening to mini trailers owner reviews one of the top regrets that seems to keep coming up is "wish I went wider."
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dan Gary » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:38 pm

popper wrote:I would try cantilevering the edges so they hang over myself. Even without getting into metal work. Probably I would hang over even more than you describe. But then I have zero experience at this type of thing so all I have to go by is gut feeling on materials strength. I guess it depends on how many two by's one uses in the end. And not just two by spacing but also ply thickness! One would need to take a weight hit and cost hit stepping up the base, but I think it shouldn't be too bad. I am still wrestling with these design choices myself.. no idea what I am doing. I'll be waiting in this thread to see some answers from those who have done it.

In listening to mini trailers owner reviews one of the top regrets that seems to keep coming up is "wish I went wider."

Funny you say that regarding the top regret of not going wider. I’ve already challenged my original plan of building between the wheels but now am thinking about building over them and weld some outriggers at 72”.
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby popper » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:51 pm

Well cons are.. Wider is heavier, worse towing aero, and less cute. Personally I feel like the narrower widths suit shorter height designs better. How high are you planning on building it?

Nothing against a 4' or 5' wide, just as long as one knows going in, that is all one wants.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dan Gary » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:09 am

popper wrote: How high are you planning on building it?

Standing height at rear where you walk into the galley so about 6ft.
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals