A Minnesota Build - The Lily Pad

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby electronicx » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Your build is looking close to the finish. :thumbsup: I should start a build journal on mine. Ive been looking at yours thinking Ill see it one of these days driving around Perham. My parents have a place on Boedigheimer Lake, one of the ones that lost all the trees in the storm. The cleanup of that mess slowed down my build. But I think I can get it done for Labor day.
electronicx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Aligator944 wrote:Image

Very nice! You have a lucky son! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 am

Hey everybody,
Thanks so much for all your comments!! Your words keep me motivated! And I KNEW there were other Doctor Who fan-atics out there!

Have been gone since early Friday to Colorado until late last night for a memorial for my father-in-law and his wife. Such beautiful country out there. Only saw one TTT - a T@b driving through Fairplay.

electronicx - Yeah, I'm hoping to get my teardrop done this fall. I have a 25-mile bike tour through Itasca State Park this weekend and another birthday celebration to go to in Vancouver BC over Labor Day weekend so my build time is limited. Would love to see some pics of your build. Start a build journal..you know we all love :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:

Aligator944 - Welcome to the forum! I'm glad I was able to motivate someone to get on the teardrop bandwagon. LOVE the cardboard Tardis! It looks very real.
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:44 am

I love Dr. Who, but my wife does not, so I watch them streamed from Netflix when she's not home. :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby GuyllFyre » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:55 am

I'm a 4th Doctor fan (Tom Baker) and my daughter is a 10th Doctor (David Tennant) fan
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am

Me too. I can never find it on the syfy channel. I seem to be the only one in my family as well that loves it. I just can't understand why. All my boys LOVE Monty Python. 8) :lol: 8)
Made it through most of the David Tennant series. Haven't seen the transformation to Matt Smith yet. I guess I watch it more when the cold and snow appear around here. Less to do outside. No warm space to work on the teardrop. ;)
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aligator944 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:08 pm

I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor, he was always my favorite, then the guy from All Creatures Great and Small. Then I kind of drifted away from it for a while. My 10 year old son loves the current Doctor, Matt Smith, and also his main side kick, Amy Pond (I don't think he is infatuated with her - he is only 10 and girls are still icky!). I also stream the series through Netflix. They have all of the episodes from the last 3 Doctors and quite a few of the older ones as well, going back to Tom Baker, that you can stream as well. I must say though, that the old ones were so cheesy with the effects. (I am not quite as scared of that green bubble wrap as I used to be!)
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gary and Cheri » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:49 pm

While I have liked all the doctors, some better than others, the reason I started to watch the show was Billie Paul Piper as Rose Tyler. I'm still going thru withdrawal symptoms. 8)

Gary
Last edited by Gary and Cheri on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Lil,

That camper is beautiful. You definitly "got skills".
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Gary and Cheri wrote:While I have liked all the docotors, some better than others, the reason I started to watch the show was Billie Paul Piper as Rose Tyler. I'm still going thru withdrawal symptoms. 8)

Gary

Does Cheri know? ;) :lol:

Woodstramp...thank you. Doors and hatch yet to come. :NC
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:57 pm

GuyllFyre wrote:I'm a 4th Doctor fan (Tom Baker) and my daughter is a 10th Doctor (David Tennant) fan

Tom Baker was my favorite too, but David Tennant kinda grew on me. I also started streaming the Torchwood series with Captain Jack Harkness, a character that spun off from DW. It gets kinda gory sometimes tho.
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby copout » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:39 am

GuyllFyre wrote:I'm a 4th Doctor fan (Tom Baker) and my daughter is a 10th Doctor (David Tennant) fan

John Pertwee for me, although Tom Baker and David Tennant were pretty good. I think it probably relates to who was who when you first started watching who!

Great build btw Lily :applause:
Veni Vidi Vici
copout
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mcspin50 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Well I haven't worked on the Lily Pad for ages. I did take some pics of what little progress I made this past September, but then shop events and weekends camping took up some time. Then I got sidetracked by a small (13') purchase which I'll take camping this weekend.

Ain't it cute??

So now I have to find TWO winter homes..one for The Lily Pad and one for the '84 Scamp. The Scamp will probably go to a new owner once I finish the Lily Pad.

Anyway, here's some pics of what I've accomplished so far. I'm kinda stumped on the electrical, waiting for an electrician friend of No. 3 Son to have some time to come over and help me get started. I don't want to go up in flames the first night I sleep in the Lily Pad. I'd like to sleep in comfort with peace of mind knowing it's been done right.

Here's the WFCO 8725 actually screwed into its final place in the galley.

And with the cover installed. There'll be a 110 GFCI outlet to the left and a 12v to the right of it.

Then I built a frame to hold the face of the inside cabinets. You can see the backside of the WFCO. That area behind the WFCO will give plenty of space for ventilation and hide most of the wiring (I hope!)

Then I cut some 1/4 inch birch plywood for the face of the inside cabinets. Once again my cutting skills proved lacking. I'll use sisal rope to trim out the DVD player opening. The radio and TV should be OK. They'll be mounted above the DVD player.

Door openings are small to allow for the radio speakers in the upper corners. That upper space is kinda wasted. Anybody have suggestions? I still have enough to cut another face, maybe do the doors skinny and tall instead of low and wide.

The doors will be made out of some leftover pieces of the 3/4" natural birch used for the walls and galley countertop...beautiful grain. Everyone will be so dazzled with them that they won't notice the wonky cuts, right??

Put in a layer of insulation...

Here are some parts waiting for someone who knows what they're doing to install them.

So if I have a 20amp breaker, should I install a 20amp GFCI outlet or will the 15amp one I bought work? I was thinking that my espresso machine might come camping with me a few times and it might need the bigger circuit. :coffee: And, if I have the 15amp power inlet, how can I have a 20amp breaker? This is the kind of stuff that stumps me when I start to think about the wiring.

That's all for now. Time for a little break...

Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Hello Lil: I like your Scamper... It is very nice and I would agree it is cute. I really like the lighting in your garage too. It looks like it is easy to hook up your TTT to your TV with all that light. LOL

Your "Pad" is turning out very nicely as well. You should be proud of how it is turning out. I am proud of you exceptional work on the "Lilly Pad". Don't worry about rushing it to completion now that you have the Scamp. Go camping in the Scamper to help clear your mind and have a great relaxing time. I still have a lot of things to do on the "Silver Nugget" but I can do them when I have the time to between work, winter and camping in it. Terry and I love it (our TD) but I really like to stand up when putting on my pants. We have been looking for a small TT for next summer. I will not sell the TD, but the TT will be for close to home camping. The TD would be great for long distance travels over a couple days or a week or two.

A 15 amp inlet equals a 15 amp breaker as well.

I have to ask you where you got your faucet at? I like the fact it is a low rise faucet. That would work nicely in my TD.

Great job you are doing. :thumbsup: :applause: ;)
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:39 pm

down under tech wrote:Hello Lil: I like your Scamper... It is very nice and I would agree it is cute. I really like the lighting in your garage too. It looks like it is easy to hook up your TTT to your TV with all that light. LOL

Yes, and all the gas I can pay for! :lol:

I have to ask you where you got your faucet at? I like the fact it is a low rise faucet. That would work nicely in my TD.

Great job you are doing. :thumbsup: :applause: ;)

Hey JohnnyD...Thanks! I bought the pump and faucet for $40 from another forum member who had it left over from a build. He had it listed on ebay. It's a Jabsco Faucet and Pump 42530-0000 (I believe you can buy them separately). I did a search and found both the directions and some sources. Check ebay as well. I haven't had mine hooked up yet. It's just sitting there looking pretty. When I get my son's electrician friend over to help me out, then I'll be able to test it.
Best of luck on finding a TTT (I stumbled across mine here). But be careful! Those little Scamps are hard to resist! :vroom:
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals