go ahead, call me crazy !

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: go ahead, call me crazy !

Postby felixx » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:23 pm

I just discovered this thread and wow oh wow
felixx
Donating Member

Postby dave campbell » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:30 pm

felixx wrote:I just discovered this thread and wow oh wow

wow thanks felixx ! just making it up as i go. haven't derailed yet :R

today's update---still chuggin' along with the sticks----popping in steel when i think i need it. for instance---- ceiling backing over the doors. had to zap in some straps. nearly completed the interior studs now. tomorrow (sunday) i will put in some more wee angle tabs to help secure the flooring, and start gutting the cargo trailer. having a party here on the 12th----a perfect time to get help lifting thunderdome onto its new platform !!

pl fest.JPG
pl fest.JPG (28.65 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

below--- just over one of the doors
centre ceiling.JPG
centre ceiling.JPG (26.74 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

this is just over the front windows
over the front window.JPG
over the front window.JPG (25.67 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

cheers all and thanks for looking ! i haven't been commenting but i have been lurking around and enjoying the cool builds !! :beer:
renaissance man-----MUST....MAKE......EVERYTHING !! (wife interjects here---"EXCEPT MONEY !")
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby lincolnlerner » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:46 pm

dirtsailor2003 wrote:My two cents, on insulation, boat building and weird shapes, and things. I'd skin this frame on the outside. Run all my wiring , pipes, etc, needed in conduit. Then have the insulation shot on from the interior.. Closed cell, which doesn't transfer condensation. Then skin the interior. Expensive, yes. But when you're already doing the job you're doing on this build its well worth it.

While I have not run through this idea completely, it does seem to cover some of the comprehensive technical difficulties.
Could a "rubber swim cap" over the frame then the "one-piece" be placed?

Have a lot of unknown territory here. But have to say this is a great build. Wish I was "hand-on" with this build. Course I probably would of messed something up. Post some pics when you can. Thanks! Love the build.
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:36 pm

A rubber membrane would make a more faceted surface than the aluminum scales. The difference wouldn't be much, but it would still leave voids between the two. Just saying, moisture buildup or space for condensation might be a concern. The advantage of the commercial spray foam option would not be fully realized unless it completely backs up the outer skin, at least IMO.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dave campbell » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:32 am

hey all-----still plugging away here. not posting everyday because it's the grubby part of the build---boring and uncreative but necessary.

possibly one of the dumbest things i've done !! a little dude on my shoulder is saying "you idiot--should'a sold it !"
ah well-- live and not learn. it will make a most excellent motorcycle garage ;)
holy ____ that was a noisy operation. i stood inside, set my eye on the horizon, and lay waste to the four directions with a sawzall !
vladimir traileroff.JPG
vladimir traileroff.JPG (21.88 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

zipped all the crud off and wire brushed and methyl hydrated and painted with tremclad. i'll be replacing the back end after the new buggy goes on top....
topside prepped.JPG
topside prepped.JPG (72.88 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

cheers ! :beer:
renaissance man-----MUST....MAKE......EVERYTHING !! (wife interjects here---"EXCEPT MONEY !")
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:44 am

after much contemplation i will be avoiding the foam layer under the aluminum. it has been suggested that i attach the aluminum directly to the cage, by several people, and that is what my plan is now. makes perfect sense to do it that way. i will do my best to eliminate galvinic corrosion and ghosting of the cage through to the surface by using foam shims, then insulate from the inside. .

cut a few dozen tabs today to help hold the floor down----
tabs tabs tabs.JPG
tabs tabs tabs.JPG (92.72 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

i plan on about 6 pieces of flooring so i can recycle that sacrificial bulkhead plywood from earlier in the build
so these tabs will come in handy. in the case of floor rot it MAY be less work later if i have more pieces of floor ?----
tabs tabs tabs2.JPG
tabs tabs tabs2.JPG (71 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

:beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:54 am

because i had to wait for the neighbour to go out before i could make my noise this morning---i thought i would give a stab at the wee 4" portal windows that we want along the roof.
they will be aluminum, and rife with personality (imperfections)

step 1 : plexi and placement
lightwell1.JPG
lightwell1.JPG (58.52 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

step 2 : foam porthole mock-up
foam porthole mockup.JPG
foam porthole mockup.JPG (66.28 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

step 3: silicone mold. darn foam is all floaty !
silicone mold.JPG
silicone mold.JPG (78.39 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:02 am

porthole continued-----

step 4 : hot wax
hot wax.JPG
hot wax.JPG (54.67 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

step 5 : whole lotta love
shaverman.JPG
shaverman.JPG (53.06 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

step 6: ready for the sand mold soon (maybe some rivet detail ?)
the four tabs are there so i can bolt these on from the inside....
wax porthole.JPG
wax porthole.JPG (63.42 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby Caveman1970 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 am

WOW!
Pouring your own porthole...I wish you were my neighbor! :FNP
"If at first you don't succeed....Caulk it!... A-lot!"
Caveman1970
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kudzu » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:50 am

This build is going to be amazing. Love the shape.

Caveman1970 wrote:...I wish you were my neighbor! :FNP

Does anyone else hear Mr Rogers singing? :R
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:40 pm

dave campbell wrote:.... i will do my best to eliminate galvinic corrosion and ghosting of the cage through to the surface by using foam shims, then insulate from the inside....

There is a lot of information available on how to prevent galvanic corrosion and it is achievable when knowledge is on our side.

To start and get some ideas I looked at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion and https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article%20-%20Corrosion.pdf

Other people on this forum may have an expert knowledge of the subject and hopefully will chime in to help.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dave campbell » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:02 pm

hey thank you OP827 i shall be sure to look that up ! :beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:12 pm

kudzu and caveman1970 thanks for the kind words :)

latest update from campbell's machine shop----removed the axle and springs yesterday, so this afternoon i took the angle grinders and brushes to them. also yesterday i zapped on the rearmost bar of the chassis, and painted it today along with a couple nice coats of tremclad gloss black rust paint. methyl hydrate to everything before paint.
new bolts to hold the leaf springs to the chassis---as the old ones were in rough shape. i actually sheared the threaded section of one of them right off. all others i restored---wire wheel, re-tapped etc....

here's the pics-----

axel and leaf.JPG
axel and leaf.JPG (32.28 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

silver springs.JPG
silver springs.JPG (59.03 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

black axel.JPG
black axel.JPG (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

cheer s all :beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:31 pm

a few more shots---

the base of the new unit was supposed to have one of the cross-bars sitting on the rearmost bar of the donor chassis (which was 5" front to back, 60 side to side) but that bar was rotten and (not thinking) i replaced it with 2X3 stock---to match the rest of the chassis.
thus the extra tabs on the back
new rear bar.JPG
new rear bar.JPG (61.37 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

tried lube, heat and brute force. triple trouble
man of steel.JPG
man of steel.JPG (52.9 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

these bolts were 3.50 apiece--- and the girl at the desk was also going to charge me 3.50 each for the nuts as well ! i saw her write it down and total it so....
me------"i'll just by those elsewhere thanks. they should be 50, MAYBE 85 cents at the most "
her----"well that's what it says on the box...."
me (goes to look) "holy cr__ they ARE 3.50 each for a friggin' nut..."
other girl-----"i'll go ask the boss because that seems weird (exits room)

and so on this goes between 3 of us and the mystery boss for a few minutes until the second girl comes back and says----"hey says to give them to you as a combo for 3.75 for a nut and bolt"

meanwhile i had already paid for the other stuff and the first girl wasn't interested in another transaction so i got them for free !
new gear.JPG
new gear.JPG (59.04 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Electric brakes are a good thing especially when the trailer is a little heavier..
Just a thought, do you plan to have them?
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals