THE Teardrop Explorer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: THE Teardrop Explorer

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 am

Hey, PubUltraStar. Glad to see you're back in action. I'm looking forward to more of your awesome build. :applause:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 am

capnTelescope wrote:Hey, PubUltraStar. Glad to see you're back in action. I'm looking forward to more of your awesome build. :applause:

+1. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lazyriverstudio » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:47 pm

Im new to the forum and researching like crazy. LOVE LOVE LOVE your build!

So when I was reading about your wood bending, I instantly thought of this documentary. Here is a short video of a craftsman in Siberia bending wood for skiis. Thought this would be of interest. Its a great watch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXdbqa65GhI

I plan on starting my woody in a couple weeks. I hope to also use solid cedar for exterior... "hope" is the keyword :)
Thanks much for posting your journal. Huge help for rookies like my myself
Scott
Scott, Lazy River Studio
www.lazyriverstudio.com
lazyriverstudio
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PubUltraStar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks for the link on woodbending. I got all of my information through the internet, and just jumped in head first! I spent some time in the garage yesterday cleaning, and getting organized after the winter. Finally some decent weather here in Wisconsin. I have some CNC work scheduled for next weekend, so I should ramp up the build in the next month.
There is always risk in being awesome!
http://www.diy-teardrop.com/
http://www.m2-photo.com
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby HarryL » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Not a poster but just a lurker! But, I've been wondering when you would be getting back to your Explorer build. Your floor system seem ingenious! Looking forward to your build progress.

I'll be starting my build within the next few weeks. Received my Dexter axle and picked up my steel for the trailer weld up. Now I'm just waiting for Spring to arrive so I don't freeze my as# off out in the shop.
HarryL
Teardrop Builder

Postby PubUltraStar » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:04 am

HarryL wrote:...I've been wondering when you would be getting back to your Explorer build. Your floor system seem ingenious!

I hope to get back to the build soon. Getting the garage organized was the first step. Waiting for warmer weather is the next. I really hope that the floor system works out well, as I can't really change it now. Kind of permanent. Unfortunately, the recovery from my back surgery last fall is taking a bit longer than anticipated, and I'll just need to take it slow. I plan on taking a week off from work in early May, to get some quality time on the teardrop.
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby PubUltraStar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:56 am

I pre-ordered the ClimateRight CR-5000 ACH combination Air Conditioner / Heater today. I've been waiting for them to announce this, since they've been advertising on their website for an extended period that their models would eventually add heat. I plan on installing this in the tongue box. Despite mixed reviews for the ClimateRight AC units, I have high hopes that this will work swimmingly in the teardrop.

PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby PubUltraStar » Wed May 21, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm starting to get motivated again now that the weather is finally warm out. I worked on the tongue box last night, and have a few pieces of bent lumber ready to install in the next few days. I should be able to test fit the ClimateRight AC unit when it arrives and post some shots. Looking to start bending wood again, but need to organize the garage a bit better. Also need to order some parts that has been on my list, like windows, hinges, latches, LED's, etc.
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Wed May 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Good to see you back at it Mike and that your back is healing!

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

2014 Progress

Postby PubUltraStar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:34 pm

I haven't posted in a while, as I've had a few life changing events prevent me from focusing on the build. Let's start with the health issues first. I had my second back surgery last fall in the attempts to alleviate some numbness in my toes, thus causing difficulty walking. Unfortunately, the surgery did not solve the issue, and it was worse that before. After attempting some unsuccessful physical therapy, I went to see a neurologist. Long story short, I have MS. Luckily, they have caught it early. Outside of having a limp, some numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes, and fatigue, I'm positive on the outlook. I've joined a drug study, and recently started my MS medication. Basically, this has been weighing heavily on me, and I just didn't spend much time on the teardrop. MS is something that millions of people around the world live with each day, and the advances of medications have helped many of those people live normal lives. Now, I was pretty active, and liked to do things like hiking, wakeboarding, snowboarding, kiteboarding, etc. I'm sure I'll have to scale back or eliminate some of those activities as I start figuring out my limits. I don't know any of you personally, yet, and I'm definitely not looking for sympathy, but sometimes it's nice to vent. I am very positive about my future, and It has reminded me that life is short, which may get me motivated to finish the teardrop build so I can have some new adventures.

Secondly, I have taken a new job. In addition to finalizing my exit path on my current position, I am working towards getting ready for my new position. This has taken up some time, and I have really put off any major work on the teardrop. Summer is always busy for me, and it seems like it's already half over. However, I spent some time in the garage this weekend getting the work area organized and cleaned up. I still have some CNC work that needs to be completed, and have just had some scheduling issues getting it done. I did some work on the tongue box, and coincidentally, the AC/Heater recently showed up on my doorstep. Here are some mock up images of the ClimateRight sitting in the unfinished tongue box.

To show sizing and space:

With the hoses attached, and potential battery location

I probably won't use the AC/Heater unit for a long time as I still have so much to do, but I did want to get the correct fit. I'll be adding a shelf above the AC unit to organize the incoming power and have some basic storage. The tongue box is definitely bigger than it needs to be. If you can envision the end product, it will also have a few hatches and air vents. The ClimateRight is controlled by remote, so there needs to be a line of sight to the control panel. Having this information will help me as I design and build the remainder of the box. I'm putting together a list of needed items for the build to proceed and will be ordering much of that in the next few weeks. Windows, door latches, Wheels, tires, etc.

I'm still looking to have the teardrop completed for use next summer. I have a lot of work to do to get there. :)
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby Chinookered » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 pm

I fist have to say that I've gotten caught up on your build and your attention to the details is astounding. When your tear is finished it will certainly be a prized jewel. I'm sorry to hear about the MS. I can hope and pray that the medication you are taking helps in many many ways.

After reading your last post about your AC unit needing line of sight for the remote a thought came to mind. Is it an IR remote? Why not use an IR repeater like some hidden AV components do? Here is a link to a 5V USB one. It would certainly be better than having a hole in a wall just for a remote. At least that's my two cents. Otherwise so far the build looks fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Remote-E ... r+repeater
If they don't find you handsome....
Chinookered
Teardrop Builder

Postby PubUltraStar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:34 am

Chinookered wrote:I'm sorry to hear about the MS. I can hope and pray that the medication you are taking helps in many many ways.

Thank you. I hope so too!

Chinookered wrote:After reading your last post about your AC unit needing line of sight for the remote a thought came to mind. Is it an IR remote? Why not use an IR repeater like some hidden AV components do?

Great idea, as I had already toyed with that same concept, mainly because I would want to make changes to the temperature from inside the teardrop without getting out. Inside the tongue box, I don't care what it looks like, but inside the cabin, I'd want it to be integrated into the design without looking out of place. Since it is IR, the repeater is really the only way to do it from inside the cabin. As far as a door, I planned on putting a hatch door anyway to provide visual to the display LED, as well as a bit more ventilation. There will be other vents on the sides, but want to keep it minimal. I think that opening up the lid might be the best way to ventilate while on-site.
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby Chinookered » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 am

PubUltraStar wrote:Great idea, as I had already toyed with that same concept, mainly because I would want to make changes to the temperature from inside the teardrop without getting out. Inside the tongue box, I don't care what it looks like, but inside the cabin, I'd want it to be integrated into the design without looking out of place.

I had thought about that too. I was planning in using the same AC/Heater in mine and like you, mount it in the front storage box. My tentative plan was to have the remote wall mounted, most likely in a vertical wooden slot that would leave the buttons free to press. (That way, I could still slide it out to change the battery once every 4 years when it needs it) My thinking was to then mount the IR receiver directly over the point in the ceiling so you wouldn't really see it unless you were looking for it and it wouldn't stand out) That way its an integrated system and looks like it belongs there.

PubUltraStar wrote: As far as a door, I planned on putting a hatch door anyway to provide visual to the display LED, as well as a bit more ventilation. There will be other vents on the sides, but want to keep it minimal. I think that opening up the lid might be the best way to ventilate while on-site.

I was planning on having a louvered style vent on the rear of my front storage box and leave about an inch or so in-between it and the the TD to allow for adequate ventilation, but your idea may be better for guaranteeing fresh air. Are you separately ducting the exhaust from the unit as well as the intake? Or just opening up the lid and hoping its a large enough flow of air to do both?

Also, if you keep your battery there, are you worried that someone may come along at night and remove items from your tongue box while the lid is open to ventilate?
If they don't find you handsome....
Chinookered
Teardrop Builder

Postby PubUltraStar » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Chinookered wrote:Are you separately ducting the exhaust from the unit as well as the intake? Or just opening up the lid and hoping its a large enough flow of air to do both? Also, if you keep your battery there, are you worried that someone may come along at night and remove items from your tongue box while the lid is open to ventilate?

The intake on the AC unit will be hooked up to the return that is run underneath the deck. I'm not sure how much heat this thing generates or what type of exhaust the unit generates, so hopefully the vents that I install will be sufficient, with opening the lid being a backup. I'm still not sure I'm putting the battery in the tongue box or in the cabin. The original design had it in the front storage area, but I added it to the above picture for scale and to see how it would fit.
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:53 pm

I too am glad to you see you back in action. Your positive outlook will greatly help you deal with health issues.

I have the first generation of the ClimateRight - the Petcool. Mine too is mounted in the tongue box. I was concerned about thermostatic control, and even bought a line voltage (120 VAC) thermostat to control the cooling, but found out it wasn't necessary. My initial low tech method - setting the manual thermostat to a comfortable temperature and using a Sharpie to mark the dial position - has worked well since day one. I've found thermostat control is not necessary. That said, I only using the cooling function and not the electric resistance heater. If you want to use the heater, you'll need two marks for the low tech method.

My tongue box is a lot smaller than yours. I have the PetCool "butted up" in the corner and have removable panels that are the same size as the intake and exhaust paths of the condensor cooling air flow. There is weatherstripping around the openings. I don't think you need both sides ducted, but I would duct one or the other so you don't have the intake and exhaust air mixing.

In your mockup, you show the supply air and return air next to each other. It is probably best to separate them or use a deflector on the supply side for best efficiency. If you don't the return air duct will be trying to suck in the conditioned air. My teardrop has a headboard cabinet. I ducted the conditioned air into a splitter and then to two automotive style vents mounted on the top of the headboard cabinet.

You have a fantastic build. I'm happy to see you back on your project.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals