Don't have a name, pop-up toy hauler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Dmanrick » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:13 pm

Well I got a little more done the last couple of evening.

I got the 2 gates covered as well as some of the other siding on.

I insulated the things and bent a piece on either side for the inside. Then I broke a piece for the outside so it would overlap the inside pieces on the edges.

Here is an example of one of the gates.

I also got some of the siding on but haven't gotten any pics of that.

It's going to look like a big white box. :)
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dmanrick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 am

This weekend I spent saturday finishing up the siding, installing the steps and trimming out the wheel wells. Sunday I spent all day making the walk through door and getting a rough idea on the canvas measurements. I need one more day to tweak the doors, put the seals on them and do all the caulking and it will be dried in. At least when the top is down. :)

Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:26 am

You're right. It is looking great! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ScouterMom » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 pm

Wow!

That was (or IS) depending on your point of view - my current pop-up camper!

I have a 1973 Starcraft Starmaster 6 I've been refurbishing for the past couple of years (very slowly, as time and $ allow)

It was kinda weird seeing what appeared to be 'my camper' demolished :cry: but you're doing such a great job that I got over it quickly! :lol:

I LOVE the plastic corners on the roof! that is a huge issue for old Pop-up owners like me, as many of those old starcrafts have rotted roof boards and need total rebuilds. Where did you get the plastic material to make the corners? is it available commercially? was it already in an 'L' shaped bar of material? or did you start with flat plastic and have to form that corner, too?

How are you planning to seal the top to the bottom, so it doesn't leak, esp on the road? just rubber weatherstripping? or are you going to re-use any of the channel / alum from the original camper?

As for the walls - why can't you just make them canvas? they are actually making some Pop-ups now with only ONE bunk end, and the other end is a flat wall of canvas/window - just like the sidewalls. While the original canvas may not be salvegable , you may be able to use it as a start for a pattern to just make four straight walls. The original corner Zippers might be useable - they are pretty tough, unless someone let them rust. The special track that holds the canvas up on the inside of the original roof is probably ok to re-use, and a decent boat cover/canvas repair place, or one of the known pop-up canvas replacement shops should be able to make you new canvas to fit.

I have heard some good feedback from this company - though I haven't used them personally.....

http://www.canvasreplacements.com/our_history.php

For the person who asked about the lift system - I have a detailed, manual of the original lift system for 1982 and older vintage starcrafts like this one. The manual is about 16 (?) pages & has detailed instructions and diagrams of everything. I have owned two of these 70's PUP's, and this type of lift system ( Called the Goshen system) is the easiest I've seen to maintain and repair. If anyone would like a copy of the manual (in adobe acrobat format) please e-mail me at LauraT7 at SBCglobal dot net - I'd be happy to share it with anyone who is working on one.

Laura
ScouterMom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dmanrick » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks for the comments. The plastic corners are abs plastic that I buy in sheets for another hobby. It is very easy to work with by hand with only a heat gun, clamps and gloves. Just figure out what you want, heat it up and bend it around into the shape you like. :)

Unfortunately I scrapped this idea and tore the thing apart for another build in the topic below. It will get way more use.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43328
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby vtx1029 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Dmanrick wrote:Thanks for the comments. The plastic corners are abs plastic that I buy in sheets for another hobby. It is very easy to work with by hand with only a heat gun, clamps and gloves. Just figure out what you want, heat it up and bend it around into the shape you like. :)

Unfortunately I scrapped this idea and tore the thing apart for another build in the topic below. It will get way more use.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43328

No way really :cry: I was digging that build, but I do like the new one too.
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals