First time teardrop builder - project on 4x8 HF

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First time teardrop builder - project on 4x8 HF

Postby txcamper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:29 am

We've made some progress since the last post.

We finished skinning the underside of the base with the peel and stick rolls. Figured out why it was taking me more, I mistakenly bought the 6" instead of the 9" wide rolls. I then flipped the base back over and used some simple 2x4 size insulation, put the floor back on.

txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 am

Next we cut the door in the first wall panel, then clamped it to another piece of plywood and traced and cut the second wall.

Finally we built a simple jig to mark the 3/8" cut for the hatch seal.

txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:41 am

Finally we mocked up the cabinets to help us decide on the set up we wanted.

That's all the pictures I took, but we ended up deciding on three even doors across the top galley cabinet and on the bottom it will be three matching doors but two openings - I'll get pictures up soon for this one.

Galley cabinets are ready (no doors yet), working on interior cabinets next. Then gluing sides, cabinets and spars in place. I found a local supplier for the 1/8" birch and I'm hoping to get that and my wiring supplies ordered next week.

We're having a blast and absolutely loving this project!! Starting to get to the point that we need to make decisions on the trim molding, lights, latches, sink, etc.
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:52 pm

We did another dry fit to figure out the layout we wanted for the galley cabinets.

We ended up with varying depths, drivers or street side for us will be spices over the sink, middle (I ran out of wood but can add later) is going to be almost 100% utilized for the Galley area for dish storage while the cabin side of the middle is going to be a flip down door with a small stop point on the end for placing portable dvd player for viewing, the passenger or curb side will be toiletries on the cabin side and cleaning supplies/small propane bottles, etc on the galley side.

Once everything was how we wanted it, we glued cabinets, walls and spars in place and parked it until next time.

txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:21 am

Txcamper,

You've got a nice build going there! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: And you're making amazing progress. I don't know how I missed your build before.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby txcamper » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks Tom, we're enjoying it and on a mission to have it completed before a memorial day trip...

We used a simple 20" wide roll of aluminum roof flashing for the galley counter top. First spread glue on the wood surface, laid down the aluminum and the put a bunch of heavy stuff on it (covered it in boards and then some 80lb quickrete bags on the boards). Let it dry for a day and then my wife found a tip online for bending this stuff around a corner by essentially using a body work hammer right at the corner and then working down to continue the bend. She did an awesome job and it's a much cleaner solution than the (cut and hide with trim) I probably would've done.

She then started painting the galley area while I was working on the hatch.

I was excited about this part - the first hatch framing test fit (it's not completed and I'm hoping the cross spars in the middle make a big difference on keeping this thing square in the corners).

That's all for now, If I can get out of work in time today, I'll have the 1/8" birch home in time for some work this weekend, because I won't have time to get it otherwise this week.
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:11 am

Quick update on my build.

Lesson learned - drill your wire routing holes in the spars before you glue them to the walls. I didn't have enough room between some of my spars for the drill so I had to use a 90 degree adapter for my drill.

They're all completed now though!

I test fit my vent fan and marked the wire placement there and drilled as well.

My headliner is cut to size and glued together - plan is to install this weekend and then start the wiring.

txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:21 am

Txcamper - BTW what's your first name - have no doubt that you'll be finished by Memorial day!

Great idea on using flashing for the galley counter! That's one of those "I'll file this idea for later use" details. Y'all need to make reservations for some of the South Central gatherings, especially the big daddy - LCG - in October.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby txcamper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks Tom! My name is Michael - guess I should've posted that by now... :beer:

I just noticed your sign in name, this trailer will be red, black and white with probably a couple double Ts on it, are we still invited? :) I'll go check out the event details and see if we can make it!
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 am

txcamper wrote:Thanks Tom! My name is Michael - guess I should've posted that by now... :beer:

I just noticed your sign in name, this trailer will be red, black and white with probably a couple double Ts on it, are we still invited? :) I'll go check out the event details and see if we can make it!

Michael,

The more the merrier. All types are welcome at teardrop gatherings, although some affiliations take a little bit more effort to be congenial. :lol: All kidding aside, we wish y'all would join us.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby txcamper » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Weekend progress update.

Welded in the trailer tongue extension enough to fit my trailer box using a 2" square tube that runs from front to back. (This one would've obviously been much easier to do before anything was attached to the frame)

Interior skin is in - this by far was the most difficult thing we've done on the project. I had a poor cut (1/8" too wide for about 4") that put the ceiling in a bind between the walls right at the front radius. It's in now though.

My measurements were slightly off the generic benroy plans because my walls are attached a couple inches higher on the sides (to clear the existing HF fenders). We ended up leaving the 'headliner' much longer than the plans, and after all others were completed we marked the location of the last spar and then attached it to the headliner. After drying overnight we then used a flush trim bit on my router to cut off the access headliner before installing the last spar to the walls. This worked great for me and prevented a mathematical error, I was worried about cutting too much off.

Cut in the opening for the vent fan, and had my quality control check approved by my little one. :)

We're hoping to complete hatch assembly, wiring, cabinet separator for the middle cabinet and cabinet doors this week. Maybe finish interior staining, painting and installing floors as well.

I've sent my request for an estimate in to Grant at lil' bear tag alongs for the hatch hinge, windows, door hinges, trim moldings, handles/latches, etc. Hope it matches my guesstimate in the budget. :)
Last edited by txcamper on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Koko65 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Nice build so far, keep up the good work.
Onno
Okanagan Valley, BC.

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=46312
Koko65
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Many thanks and yours is amazing! I was looking at your stereo install last week and think I'm going to steal your idea for the deck mounting using a kit mount with the pocket.
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Koko65 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Using the pre-made housing made it much easier to get the fit right. There were many different styles to accommodate different vehicles, and at $17 it didn't break the bank either.

Cheers
Onno
Okanagan Valley, BC.

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=46312
Koko65
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 am

Did a budget check and we're going to have to get creative next week - will be making our own windows and door handles and latches, Amazon saved on some of the trim and we decided to go with the 'harsh environment plastic hinge'. I'll post of up pics of my solutions as I get them done.

For now, here are the updates from this weekend.

Cabinet doors are assembled, and either painted or stained. We had not even hung a cabinet door before this weekend so it was a little challenging to make the doors and hang them but so glad this job is done now! Well almost done, we still need to add the 'false cabinet divider' to one of the lower doors on the double wide opening and probably add another coat of paint and stain (we're sealing all the stain at once after it's all on).

Started on the electrical as well (you can see the plugs in the above picture - 1 110v and 2 12v in the galley on the right.)

We decided to cut our stereo mount into the raceway, the middle 1' is locked in place to house stereo and 2 12v plugs, while the outside 2 foot sections will be removable for maintenance as needed. I plan on running 2 batteries down the road (1 accessory [stereo, 1 12v plug in cabin and 1 in galley], 1 trailer functions [lights, water pump, fan, etc]).

I butchered the cut for the conduit, really glad this is hidden in a small cabinet. I've purchased new hole saws now and will attempt the light mounts in the ceiling at some point this week.

I didn't get a picture of this one, but my hatch is also fully glued and awaiting skin and hinge.

Plan for the week is to make and install our windows, finish wiring, prep doors.... and more. (Hopefully)
txcamper
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals