...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: #4

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Spotman: Thanks for the thumbs!

I was in Dulce, New Mexico last week teaching "kids" old tricks. That's the prettiest chunk of that NM I've seen. Elky looking green meadows surrounded by junipers (they call 'em cedars) and big ponderosa pines.

Anyway, I'm home and cutting wood.

I thought I'd be rolling on the Monstaliner when I returned but while looking out the window of a 737, I accepted what the little man on my shoulder was whispering. "Face the music. Finish the doors." That little shat...

(Who's idea was it to roll my own, anyway? I almost think I'd be camping if it wasn't for that idea.) :oops:

Vintage doesn't sell a window trim ring compatible with 1 1/8" thick doors. So it was time to crank out trim shims. (Is there a better name for these?) I'm okay with it. It'll be a nice touch to the doors. I'll do the same for the fan opening.

I know. Butt-glued alder. How's that going to work? It was time to drag the miter spline jig out from under the table saw.

Here's one on the (finished?) door. I think the only thing it needs is the latch.

Note the rabbit cut inside the trim shim. Did I mention DIY doors are a lot of work?

But I'm cranking again. Good to be home and in the shop.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:42 am

Glad you saw a bit of NM on the trip, We were just a "few" miles east of there in Raton, maybe next time...

I had considered making the doors for mine, but when I looked at labor, hardware & time spent to get them right, I opted out & just used some "store-bought" doors. By the time you're done with the doors, you will have used every tool you own, and perhaps have bought another one or two along the way when the're finally swung & working.

I really like the "shims" (gaskets?) you made, very nice, clean & functional. Oh, they look good as well! Looks like it's coming together now & I think putting off the final finish was the right thing to do (deferred gratification's a real booger at times, isn't it?).
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:34 am

I think putting off the final finish was the right thing to do...

Dragging the doors on the bench, after the paint just wasn't going to have a happy ending. :frightened:

And that part of New Mex is indeed a fine place. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:56 pm

Final fitment of the door latches.

I've been thinking about how I was going to make this seal work since... I dunno, Christmas?

I'm pleased. :beer:

Tony

p.s I've noted that some manufacturers protect the seal where the latch engages it with a piece of (.040?) aluminum. I'll keep an eye on it and add as needed.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Anybody got a better idea on door bumpers?

I've got the same ones on our "old" 'drop but attached them to the Vintage Tech doors instead of the cabin. They work.

Thoughts? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:14 pm

I used these on mine & they work very well. Not sure about off-sets with your doors, but it's a good system. Got them from "Sheddie" in NZ & they're pretty good. This is the "female" side, the male side is just a nub that fits in the slot. Positive grab & keeps the door from banging around in the wind.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:53 pm

noseoil wrote:I used these on mine & they work very well. Not sure about off-sets with your doors, but it's a good system. Got them from "Sheddie" in NZ & they're pretty good. This is the "female" side, the male side is just a nub that fits in the slot. Positive grab & keeps the door from banging around in the wind.

I remember those and liked them. I wonder what they are used for in NZ?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby campbellinaz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:10 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:
campbellinaz wrote:Enjoying following your build Tony! I’m currently in the midst of a build and pricing out sheet aluminum in the Phoenix area is crazy expensive! I’m in need of 5x10 sheets which I’m told are only available in .063 and I’m seeing prices just shy of $300/sheet . So I’m looking at “liners” now as they are much less expensive. Although glass/epoxy is far more time consuming it can’t be as expensive as 3-4 sheets at $300 a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t go to IMS in PHX, I found a place and got .040 5X10 I think was $60 a sheet. Can’t remember the name right now. It was west of downtown.

Todd

Todd, I’m really interested if your able to figure out where you got the aluminum. I’m afraid the tariff saga has changed buying aluminum forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
campbellinaz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Fall is in the air. 'Musta got a frost last night.

HOLY-MOLY! :? I gotta get the diamond-plate chip guard ordered. Tone this thing down with some flash.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:38 pm

tony.latham wrote:Fall is in the air. 'Musta got a frost last night.

HOLY-MOLY! :? I gotta get the diamond-plate chip guard ordered. Tone this thing down with some flash.

Tony

You'll be able to find it when camping in thick juniper! :thumbsup:

Hard to tell from the picture, but I presume that's the Monstaliner? Are you happy with it so far?

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 pm

...but I presume that's the Monstaliner? Are you happy with it so far?

Yep and other than the price tag, I am. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Here's the action shot. Right out of Hollywood.

It's a five-minute job. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:47 pm

looks great :thumbsup:

1 coat 1 gallon?
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 pm

1 coat 1 gallon?

It's more like 5/8 gallon per coat. I did three coats and still have some cooking off in the can.

It's done and looks good close and far.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Started screwing things back on.

I modified the Fantastic fan with a flat-top lid and a 10-watt 4-ohm resistor** to slow it down. (I like the lower-profile.)

I tested the amp draw on the fan with the resistor and without. Here's the dope:

1- .86 / 1.25
2- .11 / 1.7
3- 1.3 / 2.5

That translates to .86 amps with the resistor and 1.25 without on the lowest setting. I think it cuts the speed about in half. I'll no longer feel like I'm in a wind tunnel.

A close-up of how I scooted the cables through the roof and into the galley:

My goal on the cable glands was a waterproof seal and something low profile. I got half of that done.

:frightened:

Tony

** Here's a link to the fan modification. https://us.v-cdn.net/5016350/uploads/FileUpload/b4/4f0e4f3074ab983d1ecbae2cdaf042.pdf
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals