Northwestern Build - Updated 7/4/2010 - Done!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby High Desert » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:32 am

wlivesey wrote:Ok folks (Wayne), it's 27 degrees outside and "feels like" 18 degrees. Despite the cold, despite my loathing for it, I'm heading out to garage to get some work done on my build. If you're reading this from inside your nice warm house, sipping coffee and enjoying the indoors on this bitter cold winter morning, just remember - i don't like you. Not today. Today, I don't like you very much at all.
:R

I'd better quit stalling and go fire up the heaters... :cry:

Scott, Tom, If you're going to heckle and drink beverages in my drive way, would you make 'em hot and bring me one???

Expect some updates this evening.

:lol: look forward to seeing your progress Bill :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:22 pm

:lol: You guys are a riot. You need to work on the small stuff inside the kitchen. :thumbsup: Or get to quilting! All of you are doing great!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby wlivesey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Just a quick status update... Right now at 3:30PM, it's 31 degrees and "feels like" 23. I'm not complaining... I'm just say'n...

After I gulp down some hot tea, I'm headed back out.

Strangely enough, Scott and Tom never showed up with the hot beverages.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Bill, I've been watching your build with high interest. However, unless I missed it somewhere, I can't figure out why you call it the Northwestern build? :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby wlivesey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Bill, I've been watching your build with high interest. However, unless I missed it somewhere, I can't figure out why you call it the Northwestern build? :thinking:

You're the first person to ask! We live in Texas, anytime we travel we head towards the Northwest. Before long we want to make it to Washington and ultimately, we want to experience the Alaska Highway.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:45 pm

wlivesey wrote:Just a quick status update... Right now at 3:30PM, it's 31 degrees and "feels like" 23. I'm not complaining... I'm just say'n...

After I gulp down some hot tea, I'm headed back out.

Strangely enough, Scott and Tom never showed up with the hot beverages.

Man - It's cold outside dude! if it means anything to ya', I'm thinking about you while enjoying a hot cup of Coco looking at the warm embers of a fire in fireplace while typing out this response ;) Real reason - wife is sick with the flu, had to take care of her since she is sooo wonderful to me when I'm sick
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby wlivesey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Here's my Saturday update: I worked all day but somehow it doesn't seem like I got much done. I think tomorrow will be a different story. Today I rough cut all of the exterior aluminum skins for the hatch. I also made two 8ft long pieces of trim and annealed them both. Annealing always seems to take forever.

First off, here's the completed rear of the trailer. I put a few extra finger prints on there for this shot.

Here's the hatch with the top skin and the base of the roof vent installed. You can also see one of the trim peices just sitting there for the photo.

Here are the rough cut sides of the hatch skin.

And last but not least, here is a close up shot of how I finished out the shelf area on which the hatch rests. I'm not thrilled with this, but it should work fine. You can see there are lots of screws holding the trim down firmly. Ideally, I would have welded the two peices of trim together to make a custom z-trim. This would have made the countersunk screws unnecessary. I'm not too worried about the appearance since it will be covered with weather stripping anyway. Maybe I'll weld the trim pieces together next year. Notice the inside trim, I had to run one leg of the 1in angle through my band saw to narrow it down. There is, of course, flashing and lots of butyl tape under the trim.

Tomorrow I hope to get started installing the skins.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Looking good!

All that drilling, countersinking, etc... is a lot of work. But you did a fine job on it.

It's also a good reason to have a straight edge on your hatch, rather than a curved one like I've been designing.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby wlivesey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:32 pm

mikeschn wrote:Looking good!

All that drilling, countersinking, etc... is a lot of work. But you did a fine job on it.

It's also a good reason to have a straight edge on your hatch, rather than a curved one like I've been designing.

Mike...

Thanks Mike... Yeah, it is a lot of work. The trim has been far more work than I anticipated.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:32 pm

Here's the hatch with top and side skins installed. I just have the back and bottom edges of the skin pinned in place with a few screws. Before I can go any further on the hatch trim, I need to get the hatch on the trailer so I can layout the interior aluminum pieces.

Here the hatch with the MaxxFan installed.

and with the MaxxFan opened up...
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby WayneFromMo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Who bent your trim? The front radius's.

Wayne
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Looks like you'll be towing that to Beavers bend for its inaugural run? :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby wlivesey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:41 pm

WayneFromMo wrote:Who bent your trim? The front radius's.

Wayne

I did it myself.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:57 pm

wlivesey wrote:Ok folks (Wayne), it's 27 degrees outside and "feels like" 18 degrees. Despite the cold, despite my loathing for it, I'm heading out to garage to get some work done on my build.

Scott, Tom, If you're going to heckle and drink beverages in my drive way, would you make 'em hot and bring me one???

Bill,
Your aluminum sheet metal work looks fantastic - especially considering the adverse conditions. :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

I would have stopped by, but I was right there with you in the cold :( doing a little teardrop construction.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby WayneFromMo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 pm

Did you have a Fab shop make the trim or did you by it?
If you purchased it where? I would like to add some trim to mine to reinforce the edge.

You used a torch to bend the trim?

Sorry for the 50000 question I've been trying to get a fab shop inthis area to roll me some and their idiots. I know they can because I used to own their shop.

Wayne
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals