Vardo build 1st build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Vardo build 1st build

Postby stonykill » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:11 am

rebapuck wrote:Detailed or not....remember to have fun. No one is grading you on this.

by detailed I simply mean lots of small parts and a lot of cutting and thinking. The interior at least for now is going to be pretty basic stuff. A bed and walls. With some storage under the bed.
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby Guntr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Wow! Looking great! Your trailer frame looks a lot like mine, but I guess most bolt together frames look the alike.

I have one issue with your build... Slow down, you're making me look bad. :oops:
Not so tiny, but a lot of work: http://mytraveltrailerrestoration.blogspot.com/
Guntr
Teardrop Builder

Postby stonykill » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:40 pm

didn't get a lot done today. Fit the windows , did some insulating and insulated and put up some ply around the door opening. So I can bend a piece to wrap the layered opening.

stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Guntr wrote:Wow! Looking great! Your trailer frame looks a lot like mine, but I guess most bolt together frames look the alike.

I have one issue with your build... Slow down, you're making me look bad. :oops:

:lol:
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Tom,

Just wanted you to know I was watching 8)

Hoping to learn something for next time. :pipe:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby stonykill » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Hi Tom,

Just wanted you to know I was watching 8)

Hoping to learn something for next time. :pipe:

your a funny guy :lol: . Thanks for the inspiration. My wife and I both loved the style and are putting our own spin on it. Having tons of fun :thumbsup: . Can't wait to camp in it. :D
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:00 pm

finished insulating the walls today. Then did a bunch of stuff that kinda goes unnoticed. Countersinking screws, seam sealing, finished framing the door, mounting taillight mounting pads selected some nice ash for the door and some nice oak for the frame. I'll spend part of my holiday tomorrow making the door frame and the door. The wood is still rough cut. Time to fire up the 20 inch planer and the unisaw and get building. 8)
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:45 pm

we ready to camp yet?

:lol:
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:35 pm

went through my rough cut lumber pile today. Found some mildly spalted birch. So I planed and ripped to make the trim pieces.

also made the door opening mouldings and test fit one of the corner mouldings.

in other news my best broody Sumatra is mid hatch. She raised 10 a few months ago and is currently hatching more today.

stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Sumatra is a beautiful bird. The name is perfect for her coloring.

Your build is coming along beautifully, too. I saw the picture of your wife, sitting on the ledge and it made me wonder....What is the purpose of that ledge that goes almost all the way around the bottom portion of the cabin? It's obvious that you added that intentionally as the wheels already had wells built around them. :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby stonykill » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:58 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Sumatra is a beautiful bird. The name is perfect for her coloring.

Your build is coming along beautifully, too. I saw the picture of your wife, sitting on the ledge and it made me wonder....What is the purpose of that ledge that goes almost all the way around the bottom portion of the cabin? It's obvious that you added that intentionally as the wheels already had wells built around them. :thinking:

her name is Mama. She broods 3 to 4 times a year. She loves raising babies

Look at the picture of the outside and you will see what the ledge is. Added space. I added the corbels to the outside which added 6 inches of living space on 2 sides. The added foot width allowed us to be able to sleep across the width rather than sleeping lengthwise. Giving us more usable living space. Inother words without the ledge the width is just over 5 feet inside wall to finished wall. With the ledge it is 74-1/2 inches finished interior wall to finished interior wall. I'm 72 inches tall. Perfect. :D

And thank you. I'm enjoying my build. I need to get it campable over the next few weeks.
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:22 pm

:oops: Sorry. I don't know my birds.

Your explanation of the ledge now makes it perfectly clear...don't know why I didn't figure that out on my own! Good idea! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby stonykill » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:10 pm

S. Heisley wrote::oops: Sorry. I don't know my birds.

Your explanation of the ledge now makes it perfectly clear...don't know why I didn't figure that out on my own! Good idea! :thumbsup:

lol Sumatra is her breed. Mama is a Blue Sumatra.

My wife saw Steve Cox's build and we measured up, and sure enough we could turn the bed sideways. ;)
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:54 pm

stonykill wrote:
S. Heisley wrote::oops: Sorry. I don't know my birds.

lol Sumatra is her breed. Mama is a Blue Sumatra.

My wife saw Steve Cox's build and we measured up, and sure enough we could turn the bed sideways. ;)

Just so you will know. I built so a regular length mattress would fit sideways too. It was nice to sleep on a real bed when camping.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby stonykill » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:30 pm

spent a couple of hours on the Vardo today. The door is cut out, sanded and hung. Bondo'd up a ton of screw holes and seams as well.

it was hot and the baby ducklings (who were raised by a chicken) decided a nap in the pool was a good idea.

stonykill
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals