Gypsy Caravan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Rae » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:07 am

Nice seeing you again.
Thanks. Life has been smacking us around lately, so I hadn't thought to check in. I took the time to read the entire thread start-to-finish, to make sure I didn't miss any details. It really is a fantastic piece! I love how you did the kitchen.

So, how has it been camping in the trailer? Are you enjoying the novelty of the vardo look? I'm betting you get plenty of comments during travel. We usually get checked out and questioned by at least one person at every single rest stop--and I get a kick out of how people will speed up to pass us, so they can look in our truck windows to see what kind of weirdos are driving. We just wave and smile and let them think whatever they want. After all--I suppose we ARE weirdos...

:chicken: :crazy: :dancing :laughter:

The webpage hasn't manifested itself so a link to this thread might be a good idea. It would be a nice way to expose more people to Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers too. Thanks in advance for the link.
No problem. I really like to show this hobby in all its varieties, and yours is definitely unique. Mike, is the forum public, even if you're not a signed in member? If I do a link, could any Joe pop in to read the thread without difficulty?
:--)

Rae

My nose is so big, it doesn't return Spielberg's calls.
Rae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:00 am

Rae wrote:So, how has it been camping in the trailer? Are you enjoying the novelty of the vardo look?........After all--I suppose we ARE weirdos...

I really like to show this hobby in all its varieties, and yours is definitely unique. Mike, is the forum public, even if you're not a signed in member? If I do a link, could any Joe pop in to read the thread without difficulty?

Thank you Rachel the Goatwoman 8)

We do enjoy the Vardo camping style, showing people the trailer and plan to continue it.There is another thread about "non-traditional water camper" that is in the future plans and was inspired by the vardo . Also another gypsy trailer is planned in the future.

I will answer for Mike, and he can amend the answer if needed. As far as the linking to the forum, it is public and many people lurk here, and all are welcome to join if they want, Some photos will only show up as a red dot if you aren't signed in, but most will show.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Rae » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:42 am

Yeah, it finally dawned on me to just sign out and see if I could read it. As you've noticed, I figured it out and added your link. I'm such a space case sometimes.

:?

I'm glad you're enjoying the vardo. It's definitely different to haul one of those things down the highway! I get a kick out of some of the theories I get as to what it's for. My old one had goats painted on it. Since it was so short, a lot of people thought I kept goats inside. (NOT the reason I'm called "Goatwoman." That's a much goofier story.)

I meant to mention this the other day. There's a chat list for people who have built, are building, or want to build, caravan-style trailers like ours. There are a lot of takes on the concept, and it's usually pretty interesting to hear what people are planning. Your thread was even posted recently--which probably should have tipped me off that it was viewable...

Anyway, I wanted to invite you to join. Anyone is welcome actually, but be aware that the focus is gypsy vardos. It's mostly trailer chat, but the subject matter trends toward gypsy styling. One recent conversation was about the various fruits carved into the traditional wagons, and what each represented. If that sounds interesting to you, please feel free to check it out. We'd love to have you. :)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vardoshavora/
:--)

Rae

My nose is so big, it doesn't return Spielberg's calls.
Rae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Rae,

Thanks for the invitation, will have to get a Yahoo ID first I guess.

I just want people to know how much of an inspiration you have been for my gypsy trailer build, you're the greatest :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Catoosa Grani » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to tell you I love your creation! It is beautiful and makes me want one even more than I did before. You did a fabulous job on it!!!!! I just hope to be able to see it in person some day. I also love the yellow on it. You guys enjoy your adventures and keep us posted with lots of pics. We can live your adventures with you with pics.

Grani (Betty)

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Changer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:17 am

Just checking back in on this forum and yay, more vardos!

Mine is still very much in the planning stages - at this point, I'm thinking about building something that has solid ends and a doped canvas roof to keep the weight down, that can be dropped ot cut wind resistance. Styling is going to be more Victorian Romance with a hint of Renn Fair than Romany. :P

So yay for more vardos!
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:38 am

Catoosa Grani wrote:Hi Steve,

Just wanted to tell you I love your creation! It is beautiful and makes me want one even more than I did before. You did a fabulous job on it!!!!! I just hope to be able to see it in person some day. I also love the yellow on it. You guys enjoy your adventures and keep us posted with lots of pics. We can live your adventures with you with pics.

Grani (Betty)

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thanks Betty,

It's pretty comfortable camping in it too. I think I like the building part as much as the finished trailer, been thinking about building another one.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:46 am

Changer wrote:Just checking back in on this forum and yay, more vardos!

Mine is still very much in the planning stages - at this point, I'm thinking about building something that has solid ends and a doped canvas roof to keep the weight down, that can be dropped ot cut wind resistance. Styling is going to be more Victorian Romance with a hint of Renn Fair than Romany. :P

So yay for more vardos!

Hi Cait, where ya been hiding? :D

You've been planning a long time from what I saw in your album, time to "Get-R-Done".

You might think about using commercial spandex coated with epoxy and paint. Canvas when wetted out has a tendency to stretch and sag, then the dope cures leaving the sags permanently set. Spandex comes in a variety of colors widths and lengths and is sold by theatrical supply houses, it's used in movie sets etc.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

tears to my Eye

Postby the pvc bike guy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:32 pm

If I lived by you I'd probable, OK I'd drive you crazy getting you to help me it's due to crafts men like you that the USA will come back.
Smile all the time and thy will leave you alone.

More Bicycle Photos
http://push.pickensplan.com/photo/photo ... ulffolmhpk
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Changer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:32 am

Steve_Cox wrote:

Hi Cait, where ya been hiding? :D

You've been planning a long time from what I saw in your album, time to "Get-R-Done".

You might think about using commercial spandex coated with epoxy and paint. Canvas when wetted out has a tendency to stretch and sag, then the dope cures leaving the sags permanently set. Spandex comes in a variety of colors widths and lengths and is sold by theatrical supply houses, it's used in movie sets etc.

Yeah, I know! :P Those drawings that are in my album were created in POV-Ray with the help of some folks from my local SCA group when I lived in the East. :P Four moves and two states laterhe problem is that I keep finding new techniques that look interesting! :P
, I'm finally in a place where I've got room to do the darn thing. Part of t
Going to look at a dead popup camper at noon today- if it's as sound as it is advertised, it will be coming home with me for deconstruction and we'll go from there. I'm going to spend the rest of the summer on that and on getting materials collected, and hope to start building as soon as it begins to cool off.

The big thing at this point is that I want a TTT, very lightweight, that can fit two adult humans who don't want to share a bed, a toddler belonging to one of the adults, and 3 dogs. :P
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Little Gypsy spotted on Webshots

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:19 pm

A fellow on the vardo forum came across a picture of "Little Gypsy" on the Webshots site and sent me a link. I left the poster a comment directing anyone interested to this thread on the forum.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2739352090044062658bTMwOM

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: Little Gypsy spotted on Webshots

Postby planovet » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:16 am

Steve_Cox wrote:Image

Hey, your shirt matches the Little Gypsy :thumbsup: :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby SuperTroll » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Keep thinking outside the box and all manner of ideas will become reality......

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... Ul?start=0
SuperTroll
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey! lots of teardrops on that site too. If you follow the link you can post a picture of your trailer and vote for your favorite trailers. I wish I had added a link to the forum when I posted my trailer picture.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby BobR » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:12 am

Here's the link to post up your trailer. I would do it but I don't have a trailer right now

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31510642/
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals