MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Sharon your build looks beeeuuutiful. :applause: :applause: Trim work my lord that looks sweet. Now when you get dunn there you can come and do the trim work on our Kits ok?

Room and board included :lol: ;) :thumbsup: Keep up the nice work. :)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby YuGun » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:41 am

wow,
:thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
Ä°t looks very good, You are amazingly good builder.
YuGun
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Thank you, Yugun. :)

Classic Finn wrote:
Now when you get dunn there you can come and do the trim work on our Kits ok?

:lol: Thanks for that. Because the trim is a different, whiter wood than the maple walls, it became very yellow when I applied the spar varnish to a test piece. So, I stained the trim with a mixture of 1 part Minwax Wood Finish golden pecan stain to 2 parts MWF natural stain and then applied the spar varnish over top of that, once the stain had dried. This allowed the two woods to blend well. So, now you know my 'secret'.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fromeo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Sharon,

It really looks great. I love the color of the interior and just might have to go that way next time.

Don't sweat the mistake too much. With projects as big as campers, something is bound to go wrong. You've done good, real good!

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks, Frank (fromeo). You, yourself, have done good, Good, GOOD! :D

And, it looks like yours is almost done!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Yota Bill » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:37 am

S. Heisley wrote: I’m leaving the painters tape on the trailer for now because I already know I have some touch-up painting to do where I’ve inadvertently scraped or jabbed it, etc. I will probably be bumping and nicking it some more as I make the necessary modifications.

just an FYI, leaving tape on too long can create a problem. With changes in temperature and humidity, the bond of the glue can actually increase, while the strangth of the paper part of the tape can decrease. Leave it long anough, and you could have a problem where the paper part of the tape breaks apart rather then peeling off, and the glue remains stuck in place.

It could also come off on its own in places, leaving unprotected areas when you try to paint again.

The tape is much cheaper then the labor (your time). I would peel it off, and reapply new tape when you are ready to paint again.
Yota Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks, Yota Bill. The old fashioned masking tape was famous for that. Luckily, this is the newer Painter's tape. This is the type tends to come loose in places. I do check for that and have already had to replace the tape once. (I did miss one small loose spot and will have to 'pay' for that with a little extra effort, later.) If any residue is left from the glue, a quick wipe with a product called Goo Gone takes care of that; but, so far, I haven't had any major problem. Also, this is one instance where cold weather seems to be my friend. Warm weather might cause many more problems with that tape.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby grant whipp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi, Sharon!

I just checked in on your progress (I don't get over to this side of the forum much, anymore), and it's looking really great ... :thumbsup: ...!
Looking forward to seeing it in person at the Dam Gathering!
Keep up the fabulous work, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 am

Hi, Grant:

When you see it up close, you can tell that a rookie built it, especially the outside. I just couldn't get it smooth enough to look "professional" and finally decided (like so many others) that it was more important to be able to use it. However, it's not the worst I've ever seen. Most the people who have seen it give me a thumb up on it.

As I told Kayperkay, I'm not going to jinx it by saying when it will be done but....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Just wanted to say hello, Sharon. I just finished reading all 30 pages of your build and all I can say is WOW! I hope to build a Comact III based camper myself someday. You have set the bar high for all of the other first time builders out there. I'll have to show your floor to my wife. It is right up her ally. Maybe that would get her onboard for a build. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see the picture of it hooked up and pulling out of the driveway for the first camp.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks, Bill. I expect to have another update in a day or two. (I am waiting for a couple parts that are on order.) :delivery:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby LDK » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Sharon

That is an impressive build you have goin on. Can't wait to see the finished product. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks for your comments, Larry. :)

We're currently having a cold spell and I'm a big :baby: about the weather. Hopefully, I'll have some sort of an update ready sometime next week, though. However, it may have to be something inside....Rain, rain, and more rain is predicted. (Doors and weather stripping aren't on yet.) :rainy:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ageless » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Yea, cold here too (and I don't do cold well). Talking about snow (maybe) later this week. For now it's detail work on Amber Rose then go like the devil when it warms.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 am

S. Heisley wrote:Thanks for your comments, Larry. :)

We're currently having a cold spell and I'm a big :baby: about the weather. Hopefully, I'll have some sort of an update ready sometime next week, though. However, it may have to be something inside....Rain, rain, and more rain is predicted. (Doors and weather stripping aren't on yet.) :rainy:

This time of year brings out the weather :baby: 's everywhere Sharon, even down here in the sunshine state. Both my builds stopped for January cold weather. Sorry folks, after a few years in the sub-tropics the and the lack of winter clothing 40's is uncomfortably cold.

Sharon, Hope your indoor work goes well, looking forward to the next update.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals