Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop - Update 4/11 pg 35

Postby DMcCam » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 pm

KCStudly wrote:Lesson learned on the thk .060 aluminum I think, but what the heck are you talking about :? ? I don't see it and even if I did I wouldn't say anything. Well, okay, I do see it, but it's not bad and I won't admit seeing it. The big picture says it all. Your camper is super star status, A1 super duper, triple throw down!!! :thumbsup: Anybody that complains to you about that needs to take a close look in the mirror! :thumbdown:

Wow KC, Thank you for your awesome vote of confidence!!! :shock: :D I am very pleased with how she's turning out; never done anything like this before.

atahoekid wrote:I am sooooo impressed. I can't wait to see this one in person. Your craftsmanship and attention to detail are superior. I won't be at the Dam but I hope to see you at Davis Creek for Falling Tears. I won't park next to you either. My Road Foamie will look absolutely amateurish next to your Atma Travelear. I think I'll park far far away LOL :lol: 8) :lol: :R

Hi Mel, Thank you too Sir. We'll be at Falling Tears if all works out with my Wife's schedule. I would be honored to camp next to you and your Road Foamy! :thumbsup:

PKCSPT wrote::thumbsup:

:D
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 pm

Howdy Folks! Time for an update. Did a bunch of stuff this last week.

Finally got busy with the fenders, here's the pattern we made to align them to the wall attachment areas.

Driver's side studs all installed waiting for the epoxy to dry.

Here's the passenger's side studs...Oh, and the new 150# gas struts worked!!! At least so far so good. They hold up the hatch very well.

Closer shot showing the electrical umbilical, struts and a new light switch; the first one was bad.

Drilled both fenders to match the pattern. Now we're ready to paint 'em!

I moved the tongue box home to work on it (to save drive time too). Today I got quite a bit of edge trim and the hinge on.

I duplicated the way we did the main hatch on the tongue box.

The lid has its hinge and lower 'T' molding installed. The rest of the trim is ready to install on it.

I still have to do all the lower edge trim and all the electrical installation.

More soon,

Dave
Last edited by DMcCam on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:19 am

Love it. :thumbsup:

The fender and trim will look great. Keep it up.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AlgoDan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:42 am

I keep looking at this build and its as classy looking as it gets, looks pure retro at its finest and a beautiful job. Well done... :thumbsup: :beer:
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 am

I am just blown away by this build. So very beautiful, down to the last amazing detail. The lines are perfect. I love your choices across the board.....wood, fabric, cabinets, lights, handles, aluminum, shapes of everything. Your workmanship is top notch. This teardrop won't just turn heads, it will break necks. You are going to be giving lots and lots of tours and it will serve as inspiration to a lot of people as far as what is possible. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Congratulations. I know she will give you many years of enjoyment!!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:15 am

So looking forward to treaveling up to the Dam next week with you two ,Dave and Lisa! We get to say "We saw it first"! It is going to win a prize! However are we going to get there with waiting for all the tours you will be asked to do? :) :beer: :beautiful: :bowdown:

I'm wahing momstro, packing him, and buying food, just in case that grandbaby comes early so we don't have to back track, we can just throw in the ice chests and go.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Wow. I felt the emotion in what Becky just said and need to add my +1. :thumbsup:

Zowie.
Oldragbaggers wrote:It will break necks.
:yes: :yes: :yes: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby desertmoose » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:58 am

Dave:

It's getting close to time to leave for the Dam Gathering. One week (about) to go.

Are you going to have it done in time?

BTW, when you take it to our friendly local DMV, check ahead of time if their scales are working.

In Carson, the scales at the DMV are inoperative, so I had to go to a gravel pit and get a certified weight before going back to DMV.... Of course, I didn't know I needed to go across town to the scales until AFTER I waited in line at DMV.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby DMcCam » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 am

Junkboy999 wrote:Love it. :thumbsup: The fender and trim will look great. Keep it up.

Thank you very much Terry!

AlgoDan wrote:I keep looking at this build and its as classy looking as it gets, looks pure retro at its finest and a beautiful job. Well done... :thumbsup: :beer:

Thank you Dan, I'm glad you like her so much!

Oldragbaggers wrote:I am just blown away by this build. So very beautiful, down to the last amazing detail. The lines are perfect. I love your choices across the board.....wood, fabric, cabinets, lights, handles, aluminum, shapes of everything. Your workmanship is top notch. This teardrop won't just turn heads, it will break necks. You are going to be giving lots and lots of tours and it will serve as inspiration to a lot of people as far as what is possible. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Congratulations. I know she will give you many years of enjoyment!!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Holy smokes Becky!!! I'm speechless dear Lady, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope she inspires others to take the plunge as I was by all the wonderful builds here on the forum. Tours will be a sincere pleasure.

nevadatear wrote:So looking forward to treaveling up to the Dam next week with you two ,Dave and Lisa! We get to say "We saw it first"! It is going to win a prize! However are we going to get there with waiting for all the tours you will be asked to do? :) :beer: :beautiful: :bowdown:

I'm wahing momstro, packing him, and buying food, just in case that grandbaby comes early so we don't have to back track, we can just throw in the ice chests and go.

Hey Debbie, You bet you'll get the first tour, I insist!!! We're hoping to do our prepping this weekend!

KCStudly wrote:Wow. I felt the emotion in what Becky just said and need to add my +1. :thumbsup:

Zowie.
Oldragbaggers wrote:It will break necks.
:yes: :yes: :yes: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Thank you too Zowie for your kindness!!! Becky's just great for sure!

desertmoose wrote:Dave:

It's getting close to time to leave for the Dam Gathering. One week (about) to go.

Are you going to have it done in time?

BTW, when you take it to our friendly local DMV, check ahead of time if their scales are working.

In Carson, the scales at the DMV are inoperative, so I had to go to a gravel pit and get a certified weight before going back to DMV.... Of course, I didn't know I needed to go across town to the scales until AFTER I waited in line at DMV.

Sam

Hi Sam, She's almost ready. If all goes well, we're going to drive to Carson tomorrow to get her vinned and licensed. Thanks for the tip about the scales. My plan was to weigh her at Sierra Sid's on the way, I guess that will do.

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 am

Hi Everyone! Almost there! We got the fenders painted, not good. My friend who had more experience with automotive paint hit them too hard and there are a lot of runs. We'll have to repaint after the Dam Gathering. Fortunately I bought enough paint to do the job. I finished the tongue box over the weekend and we installed it yesterday!

Here's how the box looks permanently attached.

The lid opens up nice and wide, pretty much as draw in the plan.

Grant's hurricane hinge stops just before the lid touches the cabin; how cool is that! I'll still have to work out some sort of stay for it.

It's really coming together now.

Attached the safety cables to the tongue.

We've got lights! At least the running lights all work

Fenders, brakes and interior light hook ups tomorrow...

More soon,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Re: Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop - Update 4/23 pg 36

Postby Lonnie Mac » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Gawd man this looks GREAT!

I can't wait to see this thing finished! Say, this reminds me. What windows are you using? I posted a hot thread about windows. It really took off! :lol:

Yours looks very much like the one's I am after here: http://www.rvwindows.com/products/economy-commercial-windows-trim-ring/
Lonnie Mac!
AleNuts Radio and home of Brutus "Ten"!
President of the Brutus Ten Cult...

Build Thread (Almost): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=53596
Lonnie Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:05 pm

It is BEAUTIFUL!!! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rmef27 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 pm

all I can say is wow to this build
rmef27
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:57 am

Yippe skippy! Grandbabies are born, nothing stopping us now!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 pm

Lonnie Mac wrote:Gawd man this looks GREAT!

I can't wait to see this thing finished! Say, this reminds me. What windows are you using? I posted a hot thread about windows. It really took off! :lol:

Yours looks very much like the one's I am after here: http://www.rvwindows.com/products/economy-commercial-windows-trim-ring/

Thank you very much Lonnie Sir!!!

S. Heisley wrote:It is BEAUTIFUL!!! :applause:

Thank you Sharron!!!

rmef27 wrote:all I can say is wow to this build

Thank you!!!

nevadatear wrote:Yippe skippy! Grandbabies are born, nothing stopping us now!

Yippe indeed, the game's afoot!!!

Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals