bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build

Postby mezmo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi Barrie,

Good to see you are back on posting, and good hearing
that you and your's are all doing fine.

I'll be looking forward to following your new build - Ya
gotta 'top' the TD ya know!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bgordon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 am

mikeschn wrote:Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Barrie!

Mike...

Mike,

Believe it or not, but I cannot seem to get away from the Winter Warrior / Escape Hatch design. It is something that has haunted me since I saw your initial Escape Hatch many years ago. I know by now where the weaknesses and strengths are, and have tried - just like you - to redesign it many times over.

That is also why I am so intrigued by your latest build. Before I saw it a few days ago, I came up with yet another WW-type design - and strangely enough it looks very similar to yours - with the exception that the hatch is longer (a longer hatch makes for more standing room - especially for my six foot two inch frame).

See below. I basically copied the Sawtooth XL's profile and added the escape hatch. I placed the bed where I wanted it to be, and then drew the profile in such a way that I could stand in it (6 foot 2 inches). The rest is simply a copy and paste from other designs. Very rough! I did not even move the fridge! The actual layout would be something to this (second picture below) (which I did years ago...)

Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby bgordon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:24 am

Norm,

Thank you for the kind words!

My next build will be much slower than the first, which was basically a rush job to get everything ready for the holidays of 2010. At this point in time I am still looking at two different designs, and cannot make my mind up which is best. It is okay by me, because I am at the moment working on my LL.D. (Phd in Law), and trailer building is taking a back seat. I am itching to get building again though!

Kind regards,
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:15 pm

I had pondered using cardboard with fiberglass a while back. we have huge sheets of double wall here at work.
My question is the kids bunks are they attached to the walls or how are they supported. Contrary to popular thought you still have to get your fiberglass supplies from a speciality shop. Easiest is just to order online. Lowes and HD do have fiberglass but its not the right kind. (I found out the hard way). No spars wow.
you didnt insulate it i notice how does it do in the heat or cold? How did you lay up the fiberglass on a bench or sawhorses you said you had some flex which caused all the sanding.
Your comment about neighbors getting annoyed with all the dust reminded me of Bill Cosbys Noah, RIght! where the neighbor come out and complains about the ark in his drive way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdUaTHKOYU&feature=relmfu
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby bgordon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Forrest747

Forrest747 wrote:I had pondered using cardboard with fiberglass a while back. we have huge sheets of double wall here at work.

Great! That is exactly what you need!

Forrest747 wrote:My question is the kids bunks are they attached to the walls or how are they supported.

The bunks are freestanding. I welded a frame for the upper bunk, with four legs as support.

Forrest747 wrote:Contrary to popular thought you still have to get your fiberglass supplies from a speciality shop. Easiest is just to order online. Lowes and HD do have fiberglass but its not the right kind. (I found out the hard way).

Mmmm, I did not know that. From the forum comments I gathered that all fiberglass supplies were easily available. Thanks for clearing that up!

Forrest747 wrote: No spars wow.

Yep. And the strength is amazing!

Forrest747 wrote: you didnt insulate it i notice how does it do in the heat or cold?

Strangely enough the cardboard is an excellent insulator. When we went camping in winter it was nice and warm. Camping in summer was HOT. The reason is that there are four breathing people in a small space. It heats up quite fast! Because we had the side tent, we ended up sleeping with the one door open!. I think air conditioning will really help in summer!

Forrest747 wrote: How did you lay up the fiberglass on a bench or sawhorses you said you had some flex which caused all the sanding.

I had a huge flat table that I made for building the side walls. Sawhorses wouldn't have worked. The table is 12 foot x 5 foot. Huge! :o

Let me explain about the flex. Firstly, after the trailer was made, it was so strong that there were NO flexing parts at all. The flex came in when the panels were made. For example, the flat part of the side panel between the door opening and the front curve started to sag after I fiberglassed the one side. After fiberglassing the other side, it straightened out somewhat, but there was still a slight sag. Although the sag was tiny, The surface was not perfectly flat anymore, and I needed to use body filler to flatten it completely. If I had used masonite instead of cardboard, this labour intensive exercise would have been avoided.

Hope that answers your questions!

Kind regards,
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Cool, we need more Winter Warriors in the world. South Africa sounds like a good place to have one! :thumbsup:

Are you still thinking masonite? Did you ever think about triple wall cardboard?

Allow yourself more time to build a winter warrior, because it does take more time! But it'll be worth it, and you shouldn't outgrow it. (Unless you keep growing your family!)

What I find funny about all my redesigns, is that when it came time to build it, I sat down in front of my CAD program, and drew something that I never thought about before. So all that redesigning was for nothing. Or was it. Well, I guess I know where some strengths and weaknesses are!

Mike...

P.S. Barrie, did we ever talk about the knurled knobs to keep hatch sides from splaying out?

P.P.S. How about the offset hinge so you don't end up with a hole in the side when you open the hatch?

bgordon wrote:
Believe it or not, but I cannot seem to get away from the Winter Warrior / Escape Hatch design. It is something that has haunted me since I saw your initial Escape Hatch many years ago. I know by now where the weaknesses and strengths are, and have tried - just like you - to redesign it many times over.

That is also why I am so intrigued by your latest build. Before I saw it a few days ago, I came up with yet another WW-type design - and strangely enough it looks very similar to yours - with the exception that the hatch is longer (a longer hatch makes for more standing room - especially for my six foot two inch frame).

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mezmo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:07 pm

I posted this last night in the Foamie section in their Cardboard Camper thread
and just wanted to include it here for reference in the only actual built cardboard
camper thread in the Build Journal section. There is a posting in the Foamie section's
Cardboard Camper thread where the poster was told by a distributor that it can be
shipped in a 4ftx4ft size if wanted. [Hopefully easier and thus cheaper to ship.]

http://www.boiseinc.com/hexacomb/custom.html

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby conn.rod » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm

that is a cool idea,save weight,money and recycle(if you are into the last one)
conn.rod
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals