The LT... Thomas' Luxury Tent

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby 2bits » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:32 pm

I started the hatch tonight. I didn't get very far on it, my Dewalt drill batteries decided to stop recharging :x I at least got four ribs in and it has the shape. There are two more that will go in, then the horizontal spars go after that.

My sunroof comes in on Friday!

One thing I messed up on... I was cutting all of the face frames the other day and I realized that I did not account for the face frame overhang when I made the spot for the cooler. It needs an additional 3/4" all the way around :cry: I could skip the bottom frame altogether, make the other three flush, but I am not sure I am ready to compromise that much of the style for that. I am just going to get my CORRECT dimensions with the face frames in place and look for a cooler that will fit.

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:12 pm

Man, that's looking seriously cool.

:applause:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:31 pm

Sparksalot wrote:Man, that's looking seriously cool.

:applause:

Thanks! I finished framing the hatch today, fits pretty good and not a scary thing or a headache at all.

I was using the construction style from the Benroy plans but my ribs came down at an angle so I had to get creative at the bottom, it worked out great:

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:20 pm

Tonight I installed the exhaust fan for the AC unit, and finally cut the hole in the floor, I am pleased that it is just going to be a 3" tube going out a 3" hole. The exhaust port on the floor will be screened, and the fan has a flapper so that should keep the critters out. Still need to go pick up the exhaust and drain tubes, and the little vent cover out the floor.

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:07 am

Got the skylight in today, and it looks absolutely perfect! :thumbsup: It is exactly what I was thinking of when I first thought of the idea. The tint is really light too, just barely there with a blue haze to it, perfect for watching the stars all cuddled up. I think I will do a roll top desk kind of slide cover for it on the inside rather than a curtain.

I marked it in place and framed it out tonight. I couldn't cut the hole in the headliner since the glue has to dry. Ironic that the space left over to the next spar is 14 1/4, just what is needed for a fantastic fan vent, but I am not sure I like it right next to the skylight. I would like to place the vent between the next set of spars but those are 11" apart, so I would need to find a smaller one if I am to do that.

Demonstrating the light tint:
Sitting in place:
Framed out:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Lucky489 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:16 am

That looks sweet. One question the small space between the A/C and cooler is that going to be a pantry? I like the layout of the galley. If it is going to be a pantry how wide is it?

Thanks
Lucky489
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 2bits » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:05 pm

I have two sections that I am using for galley storage, the space you mentioned 8 1/2 before the drawers so after the slides are installed the actual storage space in the drawers will probably be 7" wide. I plan to put three drawers in that space.

The other section is a bit skinnier and I plan to make one tall and skinny drawer for it for plates and pans :)

I was hoping I would be able to use a little bit of the space of the AC box for a shallow drawer but it didn't work out. If I went with a couple of computer fans screwed into the floor for the AC exhaust I might be able to swing it. I was thinking an upsidown triangle, for a full side flip out with the hinge at the bottom and having it flip out about 6" on top for misc paper towels and stuff. I like that I can change it at anytime though!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Today, I picked up a trailer hitch assembly for the truck $50 and I also got my teardrop LEGAL! Two more steps in the right direction! I also put one of my broken engines in the shop to be fixed so I can get a good engine in my truck again.
Last edited by 2bits on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby asianflava » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Congrats, I've been watching your build, reminds me a lot of mine. :thumbsup:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby peggyearlchris » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Thomas, You are doing a really great job. I love the sky light to. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: Peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:21 pm

I got the trailer hitch all squared away and finished the AC duct today, still need to do the drain hose, but I want to go sit in the pool... too hot 8) I got pictures though!

It felt AWESOME to go on that first drive with it behind me! ! ! :)

I need to get a dropped trailer ball receiver though for sure. the trailer is sitting too high. I am replacing my front springs on the truck at some point, and that will help a little but not enough. what do you guys think? I am assuming you want it to ride level right? Note the matching wheels 8)

Oh yeah!

I was surprised at how big it looked in the rear view and how little I felt it back there. I pulled it off the ball and I would guess the tongue weight at 60 lbs right now.

A really nice shot full of color, and no I didn't drive up there with the hatch in place haha I put it in the back of the truck for the drive. I just wanted it in place for the photos so I could feel the profile

I have good clearance from the trailer to the truck so the tongue is long enough and not too long.

The AC exhaust exit duct

A pic of the air drain
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:56 pm

Lookin Good!!! That stepside is sweet! Is it lifted the hind quarters?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby planovet » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Cool Thomas! :thumbsup: I can't wait to be able to see mine behind my TV! :twisted:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Lookin Good!!! That stepside is sweet! Is it lifted the hind quarters?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks guys :)

Nope it is stock in the rear but the idiot I bought the truck from lowered the front by heating up the springs. I have new springs, just need to take the time to put them in. that should level things off!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:50 pm

Moonroof hole cut and the window mocked in place. I laid down and it is exactly at head level for star gazing! Thanks for the comments guys, it keeps me going!

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals