"Jackal" 5x10 TD Running water.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Fender Install

Postby JmsCaverly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks for that Sarge I think my plan is to hold of on the doors till I can really devote my time to focus on them there so important messing them us could be costly.
Come visit my build journal
139728 139588
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63870
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Fender Install

Postby JmsCaverly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:57 pm

I got a free day off of work which is always nice. So I thought I would use my time wisely and woke up at my normal time and worked my shift in the garage well it was a good idea because the hatch is fit and skinned I'm working the tail lights now that's why the bottom isn't on. I like it though it doesn't fit perfectly but I'm fine with that a little more tweaking and it will be good.

The other day I was doing my research and I came across TCTeardrops website. They have this new type of hurricane hinge that has a water scoop on the back that absolutely prevents water from coming towards the galley. I saw their video f water running off the side so I ordered one and it came just as I finished up the skinning.

I'm not sure how it stacks against the others but I thought hell why not.

Also my climate right came in to day also which is exciting a sign the building is coming to the end and getting camping ready?!?!?

I built a small steel tray for the climate right but I forgot photos so I'll get some later when I get home.

Has anyone just left theirs out in the open or does every one build a box for it I think I'm going to build a box too but I'm going to make it something removable. Mostly just for the large radiator on the side.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Hatch install and skin

Postby JmsCaverly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Well I finally sucked it up and cut one of the side walls I was going to post last week what I did but I wanted to hold off and make sure what I was doing was right and well all the info people passed along to me about how they skinned their sides really helped a lot. I learned a few things too: Make sure you trim the aluminum as close as possible really helps with keeping the router clear and stops it from gumming up; cutting aluminum with a router and the little chips get everywhere!!!

I have finally made my plans for how I want it too like in the end; all the trim will be powder coated black. I got back some of the trim yesterday but I want to get all the tight bends done before I have them coated that's why the door trim isn't black yet.

But I'm going for a aluminum skin and black trim and accessories kinda look. I'm really excited about it so here's a look

139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Aluminum Skin & Trim

Postby ELM » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:10 pm

Looking very nice. I read your build tread a few weeks ago and your doing a very nice job. :) That black powder coated trim is going to look great. Keep up the good work.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:52 pm

ELM wrote:Looking very nice. ... That black powder coated trim is going to look great. Keep up the good work.

+1, looking great with the black trim.

I would advise that you send the trim out all at once, otherwise the color match might not be exact. (Don't ask me how I know. :roll: )
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby JmsCaverly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:04 pm

ELM wrote:Looking very nice. I read your build tread a few weeks ago and your doing a very nice job. :) That black powder coated trim is going to look great. Keep up the good work.

Hey ELM thanks for reading I hope that you found some of it useful.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby JmsCaverly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:31 pm

KCStudly my paint guy said the same thing, but luckily I work with him at Habitat for Humanity and he gave me 4 lbs of powder to have my trim sprayed with the same powder from the big batch. Which should be way more than enough at least I hope so.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:19 am

James, looks really nice with the trim in place. As usual, you're doing a fine job on the build & it's taking shape now with the sides in place!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:13 am

Hey thanks Tim sorry for the delayed response I just got back a few days ago from a mission to Africa. But the good news is that I have had a ton of off time to work the camper!
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:49 am

Well it's been a few weeks since I have been able to work on or even update you guys on my progress. Reason being I just recent had to take a mission to Africa, every now and then I get lucky and get to play FCC (flying crew chief). But this time around wasn't as much fun as the last becasue I had little monkeys stealing my oil cans while I was trying to service eng oil. It was rather quite annoying!!! But kinda funny at the same time aircrew kept laughing lol instead of helping me! But it was a rather good laugh in the end.

But on the build I have had the last week off so I spent my time working on the camper, as you suspect but I did get a ton of work done. I'm trying to meet our deadline to make the Mt. Shasta gathering in April.

I got the template made for the left side door, it worked out a lot easier than I thought it would. And I am happy with it. I originally planned on using external hinges but but I like the slimmer design of piano hinges so I think that the fought I will go. I plan to use a set of small double d (lol that was unintentional), seals inside the hinge and large seals around the door to completely seal the door off. I also plan on using the t-molding around dither outside of the door once their fully built.

Finally I got a bunch of help from guys at work and I was able to get the other side and roof skinned completely.

I picked up the diamond plate from Capital Sheet Metal for anyone in the Sacramento area they will cut what you need to size. I want to let the diamond plate bend up for a little bit before I set it in for good I don't have the space for a bending form so the camper willhvae to work for now. Plus I don't have the trim for the top edge of it yet and I want that in hand before I screw it in place.

I also started to work out all the trim about the other edges mostly around the base but that's just boring work and I don't have pics all of it needs to still go to the powder coater once I have everything cut and fitted.

I had a close up of the trim for the hatch door but I can't find it I still need to counter sink in the the screws but for the most part it's in place and personally looks good.

I was planning on pulling it out of the garage today but California finally has decided it wants to rain normally so that didn't happen hopefully this weekend will clear up and I can get some good outdoors photos.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Fully Skinned & Doors

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:25 pm

I have special plans for this!!!!

139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Fully Skinned & Doors

Postby JmsCaverly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Well now it's time to finish things up the outer skin is completely done and sealed. All the trim is in place I'm still waiting on a few parts from the powder coated but for the most part everything is done. I still need to order the door Windows before I move on to those but hopefully that will be next week.

I got the Purple Heart molding made up and I'm pleased with how it came out. I bought some quarter sawn wood from Woodcraft, it felt good to do some wood milling work again I haven't done that in years so I think when I go to do the cherry interior I will do the same thing.

I mounted the climate right upfront for good also I just need to build the box that will cover it and house all the accessories inside. But that will be in the coming weeks as things start to wrap up.

I also have thoughts about adding Windows just aft of my doors to add a bit of light inside but that's still up in the air.

I am having some real doubts about installing the stargazer widow, I don't have the 9" of space need for a flat surface to mount the window. And I really don't want to cut into the aluminum and find that it isn't going to work out so maybe I will just leave it out for now till I can find some way to to make it work.

I started the work on the hatch I had some issues with the first one that I wasn't to happy with mostly due to my own accord and some of the unknowns, but in a nut shell I have to discard the old one, becasue it wasn't square when I put it on the hinge also I didn't know that the plywood would spring out so when the plywood was screwed in it was trying to pull the hatch framing flat. Which then caused my curves to not sit right so I called it and just started fresh. I'll post some pics of what I did later on.

But the second time around I made the skeleton a little thicker and also put some braces inside while I was forming the plywood skin, basically I over pulled it so that when the plywood would pull back it would have the correct curve to match the galley.

As you can see I have begun to mount the tail lights I just need to make the patterns and match it for the other side.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Few odd ends

Postby drhill » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:25 am

That is one really great looking trailer you are building! Very professional looking.

I look forward to seeing it at Shasta Lake. Bring your bikes along, there are some great trails at Redding (Swazey recreation area).
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:43 am

Great Progress! :thumbsup:
Back in early January I thought you might not get it done for Shasta, and was going to tell you to put the pedal to the metal. :thinking:
But, now it is me that is falling behind in my build |(Kermit) and you look like you are on schedule!
Can't wait to meet you guys and see your new Teardrop!!! : :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby JmsCaverly » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:17 am

drhill wrote:That is one really great looking trailer you are building! Very professional looking.

I look forward to seeing it at Shasta Lake. Bring your bikes along, there are some great trails at Redding (Swazey recreation area).

Thanks for that. I've really hoped that's how others would see it.

I sure am my wife won't be able too as she's five months prego, but should be fun we really excited.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals