The LT... Thomas' Luxury Tent

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks for that idea. I did the same thing yesterday.

2bits wrote:Tonight I cut the 2" x 3/8" rabbet out of the bottom of the 3/4" sides tonight.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Thanks for the awesome comments guys, I was thinking about my next step and it is going to be the headliner! Wow, with alot of pre production, once constructions starts it really comes together fast!

I'll be cutting and gluing the headliner sections together per the benroy plans so I don't have to place double spars at each joint. Then stain and poly the other side throughout the week and we'll see when I can get it up. I plan on tacking it in with brads and titebond.

I am thinking I want a really wide sun roof that is directly above my head while I am laying down so I can lay back and see the stars. I was thinking about a car sun roof, but I don't know if I will be able to get one with clear glass. Research time!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:42 am

I am not liking the creaking I get from the bottom where the walls attach to the floor. Of course right now there are only three screws on each side just going in to the 3/4" side of the wood frame. I think that is fine for basic assembly, but for "real" I think I will run a strip down the inside edge and stagger screws going up and down, to tighten it up.

Tonight I was going to glue the headliner all in one piece like the Benroy plans, but I started tossing around some measurements, and found out I had laid a spar from the galley wall exactly 48" up, and 48" up from there was another spar. So I worked it out and decided that adding an extra two spars for the joints was pretty easy so I added the extra spars and designed, cut, stained, and put three coats of water based poly on the 1/8" Birch headliner panels I bought when I got the walls.

Not the best environment for poly, but I think it looks good.

Tossed the black aluminum on top for fun to see how it will look

The headliner drying on top of the tear, looks cool too...
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby pathdoc2 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:10 am

First off, love your project, looks great.
I'm in Allen and work in Richardson. If okay with you I'd like to come by one weekend and see your project firsthand.
Keep up the good work.
pathdoc2
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2bits » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 am

You bet pathdoc! I should be home on Sunday, I will send you a message before then, it is late and I need to get to bed right now. Here is the work done tonight!

The small remaining section will be easy to install because I have predrilled screw holes where the cabinet uprights are so they will hide the screws, and no clamping will be needed, not possible anyway. I did get the two big panels up which were the hardest, not that they were all that hard. I'll try to finish up tomorrow night. Cabinets are going in Sunday. Heres some pics!

First section is in!

Clampage!

Strapage!

Front Section in!

More clampage!

Drying the glue

View from the front looking back

A view from behind outside
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:12 am

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :beautiful: Love the color of your TD. Keep it up and you will be camping real soon.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby prohandyman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Thomas
Did I miss something? What is the wide opening between the galley and cabin for? :thinking:
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:26 am

Thanks Miriam!

This is the opening to the galley storage. There will be sliding doors similar to Mary K's, just 1/8" stained wood with the finger plug for movement.

This area will go back 8" for galley stuff, then hit another set of sliding doors which act as a wall between the Inner cabinet area which uses the rest of the space. I am still trying to decide what to do as the separator wall between the inner cabinets and the galley cabinets. I was originally thinking 1/8" plywood on a sliding track and also a screen that would keep out bugs because the ultimate goal is to be able to slide both sets of doors to one side and enjoy the sky or at least the fresh air and sounds of nature while inside. I honestly have no idea what I am going to do there haha but that's what it's for!

Here's some initial plans, there have been alot of changes, but the basic idea is still the same!

Looking at the Galley:

A top view
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:44 am

Very nice, Thomas. I too love the color and wonderful finish you're putting on your wood. Congrats, I can't wait to see it finished.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:30 am

Thank you! Wow the color seems to be a hit! I love it too. It's a new Minwax color, Gunstock. I sample tested about six colors on cut offs and each time I came back to this one. It is a tad dark for the inside, but I didn't like the color of the lighter stuff, so with the right lighting I think it will feel very cozy :D
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:56 am

Front of the headliner is in and I mocked up the front cabinets, need to belt sand to tweak em but they are looking good!

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby del » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:49 pm

:shock: :shocked: I will chime in here and say Thomas you have a very nice build going there (need a popcorn emoticon):pipe: I will continue to watch. Just do me a favor never park that trailer next to mine (cause it will make mine look terrible :lol: )

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby pathdoc2 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Looking great. I'm jealous, I wish I was building right now.
pathdoc2
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jason and Amanda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:59 pm

I was just reviewing your build and pictures. Wow it is looking really good. Keep the pictures coming :)
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:00 pm

2bits wrote:Front of the headliner is in and I mocked up the front cabinets, need to belt sand to tweak em but they are looking good!

DEWD! The whole thing looks good. :thumbsup:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals