Frosteez "Just Chillin'" (New pics - HF Axle flip)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Ceilings In

Postby cdfnchico » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:47 am

We cut, spliced and painted the ceiling in anticipation of getting it in this weekend. We had a separate post with a question regarding this:

Frosteez wrote:Question: It (the Generic Benroy plans) says to cut 5x5 plywood to 2 pcs 48" ea plus 1-12" piece. Why not leave 1 piece a full 60" plus 48"? Is there a reason I'm not seeing to have the 12" piece if you glue them together anyway?

We didn't really get an answer sooo...we left one piece 60" instead of 48" plus 12" and only had one seam. This seemed to work for us, tho I'd still like to know if there was a reason not to do it this way??!!

Friday and Saturday were stormy. but today was beautiful , so we pulled her out on the lawn and got the ceiling in!

Blocked and clamped

Front Yard "Workshop"...someone else mentioned how nice it is not to have to sweep up sawdust.

Really excited about the progress...feelin' like a trailer!
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Re: A Side Note

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:30 am

cdfnchico wrote:Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay QB, is a hometown boy. He's building a house here in Chico for his folks and Leo had a chance to cruise through it. They had placed bible verses on headers throughout the house; they'll be hidden when finished but will be surrounding them nonetheless. We thought that was sort of cool...and decided to add some to our spars...

Deuteronomy 6:6-9
6 These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.

7 You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.

8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.

9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

:applause:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks, Cliff. I knew there was a reference in there somewhere!
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Great Idea! Cool!

In case of a rain-leak, (Heaven forbid) I hope you used permanent markers! :)

You're doing a great job and it looks like you're having a lot of fun doing it! The rain we had this week-end was just a left-over storm from a typhoon in Japan; so, you'll probably have it weather-tight before the storm door opens this winter. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work (both kinds)!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Coming right along there. Next thing you know, you'll be spending a nice cool weekend up at Mt. Lassen.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:19 pm

Now that we've reached the point in the build of wiring for electrical, it seems we both have serious cases of TD induced ADD. We have spent much of the last few days going round and round not only about HOW to do it..which I think we've finally got our heads wrapped around...thanks to so many helpful posts! ...but then there so many decisions! to make!

Ultimately I think we've decided to place the battery and Power Tender in a divided tongue box (thank you Larwyn, Mary K, MJ and Mandy for your recent discussion) and to place our S/P outlet and our GFCI in the other side. We will also be using an extension cord with built in circuit breaker similar to MK's.

Yesterday, we installed our Valley hitch on the CRV (I forgot to take a pic!). Not that we're hauling anything soon, but at least the box is out of the garage! It took longer than the 15 minutes described by others online, but once Leo figured out which muffler hook to undo it went on fine.

We did get the insulation in today and started the wiring.

And I managed to get most of the holes in the sides plugged...all 80 of them!
Image :thumbsup:
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:39 am

It looks like you are well on the way to a fine teardrop! :applause:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:43 am

Hi, Cathy and Leo:

That is going to be one really nice teardrop! I'm impressed with all that you do and how quickly you are getting it all done! Thanks for sharing and detailing your build on the forum.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cdfnchico » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Sparksalot wrote:Coming right along there. Next thing you know, you'll be spending a nice cool weekend up at Mt. Lassen.

Yep, next year we'll be in this picture!

"Borrowed" Honeymooners from Paine Bridges. She's got some great vintage trailer art here. (My first try at a gif)
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:It looks like you are well on the way to a fine teardrop! :applause:

Thanks Cliff...sometimes it seems like we're moving fast...other times it feels like we're stuck.

PS. I like the new avatar...must feel good to be almost done! You got a "maiden voyage" planned?
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:12 pm

cdfnchico wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:It looks like you are well on the way to a fine teardrop! :applause:

Thanks Cliff...sometimes it seems like we're moving fast...other times it feels like we're stuck.

PS. I like the new avatar...must feel good to be almost done! You got a "maiden voyage" planned?

Yes, we do. My grandson plays football (at 9 years old!!!) up Danville, CA, in the East Bay. We are going up the weekend of November 15th to watch him play. Will stop once on the way up and once on the way back. Probably Bishop on the way up, haven't chosen a site for the return trip yet. I have so much to do between now and then! And you are right, the major consruction goes much faster than the details! :?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:09 pm

cdfnchico wrote:And I managed to get most of the holes in the sides plugged...all 80 of them!

I've been considering doing the same thing.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby SIXTOTWO » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:04 pm

We've been loving your build thread!!! Your build is very similar to ours. More like our friends though who's build is a Benroy style. Ours is more traditional.
see it here...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... highlight=

I'm stealing your idea of writing the verses on the ribs!!! Hope you don't mind!! God gave us the $$ (literally) to do this build so what a great way to honour Him in this way. Thanks!!

Can't wait to see more of your build!
Terry and Sue Landis
BUILD THREAD
Image Image
******Embarassing our kids, just another quality service that we offer!******
SIXTOTWO
Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:47 am

SIXTOTWO wrote:I'm stealing your idea of writing the verses on the ribs!!! Hope you don't mind!! God gave us the $$ (literally) to do this build so what a great way to honour Him in this way. Thanks!!

God is good!

Anyway...your post inspired me to catch up on our build thread...since OCTober??!! we have continued to plug away...but were distracted by weddings, and Thanksgiving and Christmas and such... tho we kept lurking! For our anniversary the end of October we headed up the road and met with Grant from L'il Bear & purchased most of the trim and accessories we'd need to complete the tear.

We have routed & glued the "sub-roof" on...& coated the edges with 3 coats of CPES.

Weekend weather allowed us to work occasionally in Jan/Feb as we started working on windows and doors. We hate doors!! The biggest problem we have had is that after a week or two goes by...we roll the trailer out...sort of "unpack" what we were doin' and spend long minutes (hours) just looking....tryin' to remember what we were doing and what we were thinking when we did it this way!

So now the windows are cut & dry fitted, & opening edges then sealed with CPES. We've left the windows out for now as we dryfitted the doors.

After dryfitting the doors, we've removed all the trim and are nearing the end of multiple coats of CPES on all the edges of the doors and the openings. Cold weather has slowed that process down as we are primarily working outside. The doors themselves have had a couple coats of satin finish applied to the inside and a final coat of CPES followed by multiple coats of varnish on the outside.

On rainy days Leo has been making his way through some electrical...so far so good!
We installed a piano hinge on the raceway for easy access...

We have been working on wooden trim for weeks and weeks! Leo is a router newbie...and has had great success using a bottom bearing bit for all our applications so far. We were able to successfully mount and rout the top edge of the trim..but then....despite multiple attempts and using a router fence we ruined several pieces of trim trying to route the lower edge. Finally, I have to admit, we took the pieces, with top edge routed, to a friend of ours who has a cabinet shop, who, used his mojo to "make it so"!
We then started the process of multiple coats of CPES followed by multiple coats of varnish to all sides except for the face of the trim. We won't do the face until we've installed the trim, countersunk and plugged the screws.

We've started the hatch. Here's Leo marking the template for the hatch ribs.
And his "table sander" to smooth the template. We'll use this one to rout the addl ribs.

Whew!! All caught up! I'll try to post more regularly...we've got exciting stuff coming up! Hope to have her all done...well, campable! in time for the Dam Gathering first weekend in May!
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby planovet » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:45 am

cdfnchico wrote:And his "table sander" to smooth the template. We'll use this one to rout the addl ribs.

Thanks for the update. Love the "table sander"! :thumbsup: :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals