Silver Beatle - She's now with an old friend!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby WayneFromMo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:29 pm

That's looking great. 8)

Keep up the good work.
Last edited by WayneFromMo on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Wow, I like how you are doing the roof, in place and made it removable so you can finish the headliner "in peace". Very nice! ! ! don't forget to drill or notch for wiring! Not sure what if anything you are going to run through the roof though. It is looking great!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:22 pm

WayneFromMo wrote:That's looking great. 8)

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Wayne, I'm enjoying your build. You've completed more in one month than I have in six months.

2bits wrote:Wow, I like how you are doing the roof, in place and made it removable so you can finish the headliner "in peace". Very nice! ! ! don't forget to drill or notch for wiring! Not sure what if anything you are going to run through the roof though. It is looking great!

Thanks Thomas, I can see that a limiting factor in a build is how much you can lift and maneuver around. Out-of-shape, overweight, and 50+ is not working in my favor.

I think I will use hull liner as the ceiling finish. As far as electrical, I need to get my mind around this. I will have some in the ceiling but plan to run most of it under the floor in conduit. That's the next big hill to climb.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:32 am

:worship: Another (mini) milestone is complete.

As you may recall, I built the roof over the cabin somewhat like the way a galley hatch is constructed. The framing was removed to apply the ceiling side plywood. Before installing hull liner, the plywood needs to be cut for the vent fan opening and blocking installed for a flush-mount interior light.

Almost ready to install hull liner. Hmmm. What is this "apply adhesive in a light pattern" that everyone was saying to use? I think I'll try a few test strips first.

That was pretty easy. I did use two "coats" of adhesive on both the plywood and hull liner, and let them get tacky before pressing them together.

Now it's time to move on to the real installation. The first section is ready for adhesive.

Hot & sweaty, but the hull liner installation is complete! It only took about twenty minutes to do the whole thing.

That wasn't so bad. I don't think I could have done it without my wife's help and have it come out smooth. Also, if you're going to use hull liner, I'd recommend applying it on the ceiling panel while it is not in the teardrop instead of working it overhead.

Now I just need to re-install the roof assembly.

Gig'em, Tom :thumbsup:
Last edited by aggie79 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:59 am

Good tips Tom!!! Thanks for sharing. The headliner is going to look nice once its in place!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave

Postby planovet » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:31 am

I told you it wasn't that hard to install :lol: (My wife helped me too)

Nice job :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 am

planovet wrote:I told you it wasn't that hard to install :lol: (My wife helped me too)

Nice job :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark,

Hull liner was not originally in my plans. After seeing how good your and JuneauDave's looked, I decided to go that route.

The only real difficulty I had, other than wrestling such a big piece of the fabric, was that it was so hot, that the adhesive "flash-set" on me. Instead of the "wait 2-3 minutes until tacky" instruction, it was more like 30 seconds. So, I put down one coat on both the plywood and fabric, waited about two minutes, applied a second coat to both, waited 30 seconds, and rolled it out.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby 2bits » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Excellent job! I never had much luck with getting that kind of adhesive to stick, I am sure it was probably me, either waiting too long or not long enough or a bad surface prep job. Usually it was trying to install a new headliner and I didn't strip off the 30 year old factory adhesive, but at any rate, you'res looks superb!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby WayneFromMo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:58 pm

Nice touch. Shall we call you magic fingers? :lol: :thumbsup:
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:14 pm

Despite the first cool weather in months (low 90s & low humidity), I didn't get much done that shows. The biggest thing accomplished was trimming the hull liner and reinstalling the roof/ceiling.

Everything fit back together well - only a little bit of springback - but it was manageable with a little coercion and some heavy-duty clamps.

I was a little tentative about using the hull liner, but after seeing Planovet's and JuneauDave's installations, I decided to use this. I really liked the way it looks with the interior walls. (This picture doesn't show the actual colors that well.)

Next big step is to roll her over on her back (ahem - my teardrop), build the front and back roll pans, and finish sealing the roadside of the deck.

:thumbsup: Gig'em, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:25 pm

WTG!!! It sure looks good and it seems to have turned out well!!! Another milestone bites the dust!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause:
Juneaudave

Postby wlivesey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:32 pm

Looking good, Tom. I like the headliner! I've enjoyed the weather myself. :D
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:10 am

Thanks Dave and Billl.
I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel on my teardrop build. :worship: :applause:

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby planovet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:18 am

Sweet Tom! :applause: I'm glad you are happy with the hull liner. :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:42 am

aggie79

Outstanding. :thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals