MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:22 am

Steve Cox wrote:
Enjoying watching "MyAway" unfold.

Ha Ha Ha Ha!
I just got it! ...folding sides...watching it "unfold"?! :laughing1:
Ha Ha Ha Ha!

When I was little, my family called me the caboose because I was the last one to get a joke. What do they call that little thing that replaced the caboose on the end of a row of train cars? I guess I'm one of those.

...Or maybe I'm a trailer, always behind. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:49 am

The little device is an E.O.T.D

End of train device

How scientific HUH !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:30 pm

Ohh I'm watching with great interest now. I had ideas early on in my build for a pop-up, but chucked it due to lack of my experience, and leak potential.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks Bob and Johnny!
Okay, so I'm an "Eeeeyoteedy" who can't catch a joke on time, lacks experience and, as with the "Little Train that Could", says, "I think I can...I think I can...I hope I can!" :lol: (That's not exactly how it goes?)

Hmmm... I am kind of like a train's steam engine:
I'm short and stout,
slow to start,
and, once I get going,
ya better look out!

:D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:06 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
Hmmm... I am kind of like a train's steam engine:
I'm short and stout,
slow to start,
and, once I get going,
ya better look out!

:D

I thought it was a little tea pot that was short and stout :)

Remember that one?

I'm a little tea pot
Short and Stout
Here is my handle
Here is my...other handle. Uh ohhh!
I'm a little sugar bowl.

:lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Steve Cox wrote:
I thought it was a little tea pot that was short and stout

Eh! So I change the words a little!
I've got too much vinegar to be a sugar bowl!
I do spout-off sometimes! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:22 am

I’ve been negligent in updating MyAway build thread. The excuse is the usual: Life happens and so do the “Trailer Gremlins”. Since January, I’ve had 2 colds, my back has gone out twice and I caught a nasty 3-week flu bug (I think it was that ‘swine’ one). Also, one whole framed trailer side warped and twisted; and, in dismantling, most of it proved that wood is no match for TitebondIII (photo in my album).

Yesterday, I was going to get a ton of stuff done on the trailer and update the build thread. But, the house where I am cat-care-taking was burglarized and I spent most of the day with the sheriff plus cleaning and boarding up and calming down the cat. The “Trailer Gremlins” have been hard at work but they aren’t going to win! This month’s calendar encouragement states:

“Say aloud, ‘I don’t believe in defeat;’ until the idea dominates your subconscious attitudes. You will receive the power to handle all your problems.”

…Okay, I don’t believe in defeat! Take that, you despicable gremlins!

I have managed to make some progress. The sides and back are framed and the stationary roof frame just needs a few more screws. The two long sides have been glued and sanded and are ready for plywood skins.

I can use my trailer frame to play hopscotch and I don’t even need chalk!

I got a little carried away and used more wood than I needed. I think I’m going to be over my estimate by about 20 pounds and will try to find ways to trim that out of the final total. It’s kind of like trying to keep one’s own weight down. I find myself saying, “Oh, that little bit won’t hurt!” Ha!

The Styrofoam for one long side is cut and labeled, ready to be applied. I don’t know if anyone has tried this method before. I cut the Styrofoam pieces, using the frame as my pattern, and labeling placement for each piece with removable tape.

That’s it for this update, Trailer Fans. Hopefully, it’ll all start coming together and looking like something soon. Um, if those trailer gremlins will leave me alone!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:19 am

Sharon,

I like the way you are going about this. :thumbsup: Sorry about the traumatized kitty.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks, Steve. :)

The tolerances on this trailer are tight; so, I'm being very careful and methodical about the framing, etc. Even though I draw full-sized patterns for guidance, I get out the actual window, light, stove, water/electrical inlet boxes and check them as I frame. It should all pay off in the end; but, there will probably be something I'll miss....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:46 pm

The trailer gremlins struck again! I have everything framed, screwed, and glued and was on the second to last piece, sanding any bump or crack that might show through when I skin things. Suddenly, the whole bottom disc came off my almost-new orbital sander. It seems it was made out of plastic and the plastic broke, melted or expanded so that the screws will no longer hold it on. :shock:

============
FYI: This sander was the FireStorm brand that was talked about on this forum last winter (November/December-ish?) because it was on sale. It was a discontinued product that Black & Decker had tried putting out under a different name. I'm going to try to get parts for it because, by law, I think the company has to provide parts for 10 years. That's not to say it will be easy to get the part. The last two times that I've tried to get repair parts from B&D, it has taken me 'forever and a day' to get the right part. (Parts aren't usually documented very well and the company doesn't seem to know their own products and send the wrong thing.) If that doesn't work, I may make a 'fix' out of some plywood. (I hope I don't have to.)

Please be aware that, if you bought the FireStorm orbital sander, the same thing will probably happen to yours. :thumbdown:
============

Anyway, I didn't let that stop me. I finished what I needed to do with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood. Next on the agenda: cutting plywood skins to fit! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Senior Ninja » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:56 am

Hi Sharon,
Nicely done.
Keep after the gremlins.
Steve

8)
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:23 am

Sharon,

I've found that unfortunately B & D tools are pretty much throw-aways. For moderately priced orbital sanders, I've had good results with Ryobi and Makita that use the hook and loop sanding disks. Mangaged to get 100's of hours on them, which for some people could be a lifetime of use, and the cost wasn't that much more than the B & D's.

PS - like the new avatar ;)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:04 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
I've found that unfortunately B & D tools are pretty much throw-aways. For moderately priced orbital sanders, I've had good results with Ryobi and Makita that use the hook and loop sanding disks. Mangaged to get 100's of hours on them, which for some people could be a lifetime of use, and the cost wasn't that much more than the B & D's.

Trapped in NM wrote:
I bet there are two factories in China that make 75% of the tools. Monday they make B&D, Tuesday the make Skill, Wednesday they make Ryboi, and then Harbor Freight. The point is that most of the tools today are not very good unless you pay for the high-end stuff like Fien, Bosch, Dewalt, etc.

My philosophy is simple: for something that will get moderate use or where tolerances are tight, I guy the best I can afford. For infrequent use tools or where there is wiggle room, I buy the cheapest I can find that will accomplish the task.

Nice job on the trailer so far.

Yes, good quality tools are always better, if you plan to use them a lot. Unfortunately, I'm a rookie with no plans on building a second and no knowledge of how many pieces of sandpaper it takes to build a home-made cabin trailer. :oops: Since I've never used an orbital sander before, it might even be caused by some way that I am holding the tool or something like that; but, I doubt it. This isn't my first sander; just my first orbital type. (By the way I love how I can still feel my hand after using it! My hand isn't numb and my fingers aren't tingling!)

I called B&D and ordered a couple replacement platens. At $6+change each, I won't get hurt too bad. (If I get the correct parts!) Thinking optimistically, if one of the new ones goes, I'll order more while I'm using the other. In the end, I'll probably pay as much as I would have, had I bought a good one. (Drats!)

Thanks for any cheers and advice you give me as I put on my 'armor' to fight the trailer gremlins! :lol: I’m told I have a long way to go before this thing is finished.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Oh I'm biting my nails waiting for the roof construction to start. :lol:

Looks good so far...good luck with the replacement parts. :thumbsup:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:12 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Steve_Cox wrote:

Trapped in NM wrote:
I bet there are two factories in China that make 75% of the tools. Monday they make B&D, Tuesday the make Skill, Wednesday they make Ryboi, and then Harbor Freight. The point is that most of the tools today are not very good unless you pay for the high-end stuff like Fien, Bosch, Dewalt, etc.

My philosophy is simple: for something that will get moderate use or where tolerances are tight, I guy the best I can afford. For infrequent use tools or where there is wiggle room, I buy the cheapest I can find that will accomplish the task.

Nice job on the trailer so far.

Yes, good quality tools are always better, if you plan to use them a lot. Unfortunately, I'm a rookie with no plans on building a second and no knowledge of how many pieces of sandpaper it takes to build a home-made cabin trailer. :oops: Since I've never used an orbital sander before, it might even be caused by some way that I am holding the tool or something like that; but, I doubt it. This isn't my first sander; just my first orbital type. (By the way I love how I can still feel my hand after using it! My hand isn't numb and my fingers aren't tingling!)

I called B&D and ordered a couple replacement platens. At $6+change each, I won't get hurt too bad. (If I get the correct parts!) Thinking optimistically, if one of the new ones goes, I'll order more while I'm using the other. In the end, I'll probably pay as much as I would have, had I bought a good one. (Drats!)

Thanks for any cheers and advice you give me as I put on my 'armor' to fight the trailer gremlins! :lol: I’m told I have a long way to go before this thing is finished.

I wonder if you are pressing to hard? :thinking:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals