MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Alan Wood wrote:
I wonder if you are pressing to hard?

I thought of that and it is possible. However, if you don't press enough, the sander 'walks' and is hard to control.

Also, this model may have been meant for 'light' sanding and not the kind of treatment I'm giving it. When I placed my parts order, I surmised from the order-taker that this might be a regular problem with it. She kept suggesting I order more than one or two.... Too bad I didn't know better before I bought it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:12 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Alan Wood wrote:
I wonder if you are pressing to hard?

I thought of that and it is possible. However, if you don't press enough, the sander 'walks' and is hard to control.

Also, this model may have been meant for 'light' sanding and not the kind of treatment I'm giving it. When I placed my parts order, I surmised from the order-taker that this might be a regular problem with it. She kept suggesting I order more than one or two.... Too bad I didn't know better before I bought it.

Hm that does sound suspicous. As one of the other posters said B&D is mostly a low use homeowner brand nowadays. :(
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby planovet » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:32 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Please be aware that, if you bought the FireStorm orbital sander, the same thing will probably happen to yours.

Yep, the exact same thing happened with my FireStorm sander. I went and bought a better Porter Cable sander while I waited for my replacement platens to come in. Now my FireStorm is a backup in case the Porter Cable breaks (and it hasn't yet).
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby rmclarke » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:34 am

I'll second that Porter Cable :)

I bought a refurbished Porter Cable a couple of years ago for a boat build and it's still going strong...hopefully it'll see me through this trailer build too..
* * * knocking on all kinds of wood everywhere * * *

Sharon, your build is coming along great..keep making dust! :thumbsup:

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Richard. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby drewbtaylor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:51 am

I will throw my hat in the ring supporting the Porter Cable tools. In my experience they have been very durable and have been consistent even in production situations. One of the things to consider is to make sure you are using a random orbit sander flat and not using the edge.

Oh yeah... Your build looks amazing. I love the choice of Poplar, hardwood is always a great choice. It just looks so crisp and precise. Great attention to every detail. :D
drewbtaylor
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:00 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Lookin Great! I got a Riobi random orbital sander and love it. I just make sure it isn't getting too hot..........

Now :twisted: GitRdun! ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Aunti M wrote:
Now GitRdun!

:surrender: Thanks, Aunti M. I needed that. I guess I hijacked my own thread, didn’t I?!

I’ll get us back on track:

Before I finished gluing and screwing the stationary roof, I drilled and de-burred (smoothed) all the holes that the wiring will run through and added wood for light fixture support. (It’s much easier to drill holes in flat, un-joined wood, especially when that area is only a little over 6” wide on the sides and 8” wide in the front and back.) In these little trailers, I think it is usually suggested that the wires be run 3 to 6” from the sides; but, in my narrow area, I went with 2” from the outside wall; 1.25” from the inside wall. The holes may not look like it in the picture, but they are pretty much centered, top to bottom of each board. This will allow me to use 3 layers of ½” Styrofoam for insulation, with a channel cut in the middle layer to accommodate the wires.

When planning and fitting for wooden supports, it is best to have the actual item that will be used. I special ordered brushed nickel, double directional reading lights to match over the stainless sink and stove and for over the bench beds.

Standard plastic lights will be placed outside both doors and a small wall light will be on the side wall, by the side door. I will be posting a wiring schematic in the near future.

That’s it for this update…got company coming in from out of state today and the ‘gremlins’ broke the lift arm on the toilet last night, so I’m headed to the hardware store. I’ll be back to work on the trailer in a couple days.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Sharon,

These are nice :thumbsup:

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby wlivesey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Your build is looking great, Sharon. I don't how how I missed this build thread until now. I'm also building a garagable standie. I really considered building a poptop like yours, but settled on a Winter Warrior style hatch. I'm really looking forward to watching your build progress. Keep it up!!!
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby xrover » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Thanks, Alan. The fold-in of the folding sides is going to be a real test on this one. Water-proofing may be another issue; but, I think it'll be okay. We'll see.... :thinking:

I love the design criteria and actually see how one day I would like to have the same. Maybe in 2 years you'll be ready for your next build and I'll buy this one!

It's too late for this project, but perhaps a simple solution to the waterproofing issue is making that part that lifts the wider part of the trailer. Sort of like a cap that cover over it. Your could then leave your interior side walls untouched but have a 2' section that slides up and locks in place to give you the height.

Has anyone done a design like that?
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:08 pm

xrover wrote:
It's too late for this project, but perhaps a simple solution to the waterproofing issue is making that part that lifts the wider part of the trailer. Sort of like a cap that cover over it. Your could then leave your interior side walls untouched but have a 2' section that slides up and locks in place to give you the height.

Has anyone done a design like that?

Thanks for your kind words, xrover.

There have been records of some like that but I can't put my finger on one, right off-hand. I think that's sort of (not exactly) what Starleen is currently building with his Lady Bug Winter Warrior:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=27592

I like it but felt it might be too big and weigh too much for me. Now, I find I may have been wrong as it looks like that one will come in at about 800 lbs.

I like my compact plan and am not worried about how MyAway will perform when the roof is down as it has a lip that the lifting roof fits over. I'm more concerned about where the folding sides meet when they are up, should we get a driving, sideways rain, especially with the angle of the front lifting wall. Of course, I live in California so this would probably only be a concern if I camp in the winter or make a trip through the Midwest. Regardless, I'm pretty certain I'll be okay once I add all the weather stripping I have planned.

Again, thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:49 am

Sharon,
I'm really enjoying watching your project................you go girl!
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks, Barb. Good to hear from you! :D I hope that, even though my tools and knowledge are somewhat limited, I can continue to make you and others proud. Every so often, I find myself mumbling, "What am I doing?! I must be crazy!" :crazy: But somehow, I just know it is what I'm supposed to be doing with my time, right now. :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Uncle Chan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:52 pm

I am really enjoying watching this build!!!
Uncle Chan
Uncle Chan
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals