MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: MyAway build - Pics, Pg 39; Chuckle, Pg 43

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Dam close estimate, though!

:thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks, KC. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:07 pm

:thinking: Our tnttt forum saying “A home built trailer is never done” may very well be true. At least one thing has been changed or added every year, mostly for better use of space and for organization. I decided to add some of these simple changes into my build thread, not only to keep it documented; but also, to give others ideas. You can never have too many ideas, can you?

Dual Duty Bed Platforms
Among the first updates, was to make some of the bed platforms do dual duty. The smallest foot board becomes extra, removable counter space which also doubles as a nice breakfast table for one, while sitting on the edge of the stationary portion of the bed.

The center bed section was fitted with 3 screw-on legs so it can be used as a table. While narrow, the other center bed section, seen in the background, can be used as a side table, with or without the center table, for ones drinks or whatever.

In the above picture, notice also the removable poles that fit into modified door stops. The larger foot boards can be placed over those poles to make an additional shelf storage area.

Reclining back support for reading comfort
The back portion of the stationary bed platform is hinged; so, I took advantage of that by making a simple prop to recline the head portion of the bed for reading.

Cabinet and Wall Space
Most everyone has cabinet wall or door space available and some of the following pictures give ideas for using that.

In this galley picture, you can see that I not only added a paper towel holder but also a dish cupboard, small shelf, and a flatware holder, made from leftover wood scraps. The clear plastic flatware holder can be removed from the box on the cabinet door and transported to a picnic table.

On the inside wall of each bed/bench platform, a purchased stretchy holder was added to hold shower sandals.

Tubs and sacks also make organizing easy.

Nesting Rubbermaid tubs hold jeans, shirts, etc. Storing the heavier and less used things in the bottom tub and the T-shirts in the top tub helps keep things from wrinkling and keeps the most often selected clothing on top.

Underwear is stored in a draw-string bag, making it easy to pull out but hidden from view when someone wants to see the storage area.

Lastly, I made a picture to hang on the upper wall, just for a chuckle:

PS. I weighed the cabinet before installing it. It weighed 7 lbs. However, I forgot to weigh the little shelf; so, I am figuring the trailer weight changed from 1151 to 1160 lbs.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals