MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun May 01, 2011 7:34 am

Really that is a terrible shame. Still you can mfix it and make it better than it was before. I saw that harbor frieght has an "A" frame tongue jack with no wheel for 22 dollars on sale. It looks like it would be able to be modified to work without too much trouble.

Did you say before how much your trailer weighs at this point? I guess too many wheels in motion at the same time caused the damage. It just seems like it would take a lot to twist that channel like that. I guess the wheeled tongue jack is a lever once tilted a little bit.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 01, 2011 12:20 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:Really that is a terrible shame. Still you can mfix it and make it better than it was before. I saw that harbor frieght has an "A" frame tongue jack with no wheel for 22 dollars on sale. It looks like it would be able to be modified to work without too much trouble.

Did you say before how much your trailer weighs at this point? I guess too many wheels in motion at the same time caused the damage. It just seems like it would take a lot to twist that channel like that. I guess the wheeled tongue jack is a lever once tilted a little bit.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, StandUpGuy.

Weighing nearly everything as I installed it, the closest I can figure (still a few estimated amounts), it is sitting at around 1023 lbs gross weight right now, not counting a few additional screws, bolts, latches, weather stripping, and, of course, the paint.

Yes, the consensus is that it was the tongue jack that caused the problem. When I'm finished, that tongue will hold up just fine! :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun May 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Sharon,

Sorry to see the mishap, that was always a fear of mine that the tongue would give way on our teardrop. Have you weighed your tongue, just to make sure you don't have too much weight on the front?

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Mon May 02, 2011 12:57 am

Sharon,

When rebuilding your trailer tongue, you might want to consider welding a plate under the frame as shown in these pictures of my trailer. It's not a huge structural change and has some nice benefits, not the least of which is a floor for the gas bottle and, in my case, a battery too.

Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 02, 2011 1:22 pm

bdosborn wrote:Sharon,

Sorry to see the mishap, that was always a fear of mine that the tongue would give way on our teardrop. Have you weighed your tongue, just to make sure you don't have too much weight on the front?

Bruce

Hi, Bruce,

Sorry that I didn't get back to you last night. I took my dog for a walk and a stray dog attacked him. He's okay but the night was pretty crazy. (I've never chugged cherry wine before but I did after that!) :roll:

The tongue is not too heavy. The last time I checked, it was just under 140 lbs, which is a good weight, well within the limit.

I emailed Red Trailer yesterday and called them this morning. The fellow that I talked to said you'd be surprised at the number of times people do what I did and have that happen. There are three members on the tongue and those side members are not made for carrying the weight of the tongue jack and trailer...I know that now. The 'A' portions of the tongue are only meant to be used for stabilization and the tongue jack must be installed on the center member of the tongue. Anyway, he said that he is going to call around to their warehouses and find the part at the closest one and will call me when he does so we can arrange shipping.

The way I see it, if it’s happened to many other people, it is something that should be documented so that we’ll all know not to do that anymore. Being a woman and a rookie, the masses don’t expect me to be perfect whereas someone else might be too embarrassed and would probably hide their mistake. Hiding problems doesn’t help others. Posting does. That is not only more entertaining; it’s usually helpful.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 02, 2011 1:27 pm

myoung wrote:Sharon,

When rebuilding your trailer tongue, you might want to consider welding a plate under the frame as shown in these pictures of my trailer. It's not a huge structural change and has some nice benefits, not the least of which is a floor for the gas bottle and, in my case, a battery too.

Thanks, Mike. Thats pretty clever. I've had a number of people advise me to do things similar to what you have done and I will consider those options. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Sharon,

I hope things are going well for you. Do you have any progress to share on your MyAway build?

(You're probably in the same situation as I am. Time to post comments, but no time to work on the teardrop. I'm hoping to get back to my build this weekend for the first time since April.)

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 pm

I was thinking the same thing; I haven't heard anything new lately...

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:26 am

HaHaHa! I can’t hide, can I?! HaHaHa!
Since there are so many active build threads right now, I figured I could fly under the radar…guess not.

I’ve been doing a little, but not a lot. Since it was a very wet spring, the yard has been giving me a bit of a work-out and I have finally been painting some of the walls in the house; but there are some things that I can share. …Let’s see….:

The Tongue Problem:

Since my trailer chassis is made from a discontinued kit, it’s very possible that the correct replacement part doesn’t exist anymore. I did talk to the trailer company and they sent what they thought would work; but, when it came, it was a foot too short, the wrong color and even the wrong shape.

Okay, I thought, it’s time to “puntâ€
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby LDK » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:01 am

Sharon

It's time to come out of hiding. :lol: As far as your trailer tongue, when you're done with it, it'll be stronger than ever.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:52 am

S. Heisley wrote:(However, I doubt I’ll be working at the stove unless I’m fully clothed…)

Especially if you're cooking bacon :shocked:

Boy I really like your window treatments, especially the wood trim around the windows. Looks great! What's the ETA for your first trip?

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:57 am

bdosborn wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:(However, I doubt I’ll be working at the stove unless I’m fully clothed…)

Especially if you're cooking bacon :shocked:

Boy I really like your window treatments, especially the wood trim around the windows. Looks great! What's the ETA for your first trip?

Bruce

:lol: Yup! Hot bacon fat might melt some of my fat but it wouldn't be very comfortable! :lol:

What's my ETA? Sorry...Dunno and am reluctant to venture a guess right now. (I hope it is soon!) :worship:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:27 pm

I can almost smell the bacon :lol:

Seriously, the curtains look really great. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Seriously, the curtains look really great. :thumbsup:

I concur. Wonderful job on the curtains. :applause:

There's a song by Ann Reed entitled " Don't Do Your Deep Fat Frying In The Nude". It's hilarious!
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks, Lil and Steve.

I tried to find the song that Ann Reed wrote about deep fat frying. I found mention of the song and the album that it's on but I guess it's been too long since it was published? ...Didn't get the pleasure of listening to it.

Ah, well...maybe someday(?) we'll meet up in MN or (?) and you'll play the album for me. :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals