Re: The Pup's Penthouse - 7/17/12 - Flooring

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby synaps3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Windows and side hatch came in today! Total cost? $70 shipped. Sometimes, I love ebay!

The first window is tinted, 48"x22", with a screen and a crank-out bottom section:
It will go on the passenger side.

The second window is tinted, 24"x20", and does not open:
It will go on the driver side.

Also on the driver side, I also got a hatch:
The AC will push out of the hatch, and the in-feed hookups will go here. The drainage hookups for grey and black water will be on the bottom.

Finally, I also got a window to go on the back door:
It is untinted unfortunately, but that's okay. Everything will have curtains anyways, when the camper is done.

I'm planning on getting some Luan tomorrow or Friday. Let's hope for some sawdust this weekend! :twisted:
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Re: New build! (no name yet, suggestions welcome)

Postby bve » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Congrats on the eBay window deal.

synaps3 wrote:On Build day 5, I'll tar the top and bottom of the floor.

I don't think you want to be tarring the top of the floor, but maybe I am just misreading what you mean?

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Pls post more pics of the do0gie.

Kthxbai.

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi Dave: It looks like you got a deal on the windows. You are getting your parts the way I am. One piece at a time as needed. The window for your rear door you can tint it if you want to. I think that was the one that was clear.

I sanded and primed my tongue today and posted more pics in my album. I didn't make a post, though. I took better pics to show you how I made it. You are right not to move your axle back. I made my wooden floor frame out of 2x3s.

I bought a new axle to get the much bigger bearings than the HF bearings. I was thinking that you can widen your axle by cutting it in two in the center and place a larger piece of round tube in between the cut pieces and weld them in the wider position with the new wheels and tires you will use. Before you weld it drill two or three holes in the new sleeve both ends and plug weld them to the HF axle halves as well as all the way around the tube. This will make it stronger. Buy 2 new spring mount brackets and weld them in the new place they need to set the axle over or under the springs. Leave the original spring mounts where they are, just turn the axle 180 degrees. If you are using the HD HF frame your axle should be a round tube axle. The lighter HF frame uses a half round axle. It is U shaped. You should not widen this one.

Talk at you later,
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Re: New build! (no name yet, suggestions welcome)

Postby synaps3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:41 pm

bve wrote:I don't think you want to be tarring the top of the floor, but maybe I am just misreading what you mean?

Burke -- At the time, that was what I meant. I'm not going to do both sides though, that wouldn't make any sense. The side that my flooring and the rest of the build will go on will not be painted.

teardrop_focus wrote:Pls post more pics of the do0gie.

Chris -- I'll post a few more tonight. :)

down under tech wrote:Hi Dave: It looks like you got a deal on the windows. You are getting your parts the way I am. One piece at a time as needed. The window for your rear door you can tint it if you want to. I think that was the one that was clear.

I sanded and primed my tongue today and posted more pics in my album. I didn't make a post, though. I took better pics to show you how I made it. You are right not to move your axle back. I made my wooden floor frame out of 2x3s.

I bought a new axle to get the much bigger bearings than the HF bearings. I was thinking that you can widen your axle by cutting it in two in the center and place a larger piece of round tube in between the cut pieces and weld them in the wider position with the new wheels and tires you will use. Before you weld it drill two or three holes in the new sleeve both ends and plug weld them to the HF axle halves as well as all the way around the tube. This will make it stronger. Buy 2 new spring mount brackets and weld them in the new place they need to set the axle over or under the springs. Leave the original spring mounts where they are, just turn the axle 180 degrees. If you are using the HD HF frame your axle should be a round tube axle. The lighter HF frame uses a half round axle. It is U shaped. You should not widen this one.

Talk at you later,

Johnny -

I might tint the back window, but tinting it might actually cost me more than just buying another tinted window. If I do get around to tinting it, it will be post-build.

Thanks for posting the pics of the tongue. What you did makes perfect sense now -- it's a lot better of an implementation of what I did with my tongue. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder, so my chassis is nowhere near as pretty as yours. :lol: I've got the nice HF trailer with the round axle as well, but like I said -- no welding, so no widening will be possible.

Your floor frame is really, really heavy duty! With all those 2x3's, you don't need nearly as much chassis -- you could have even gotten away with an A-frame. Despite that, your approach will make sure that it's rock-solid. With strength like that, you could probably offroad with it!

I'm experimenting a bit with alternatives to epoxy, CPES, or bedliner for my external waterproofing. The thread is here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=35403
To summarize, since this is a large TTT, the cost to CPES or epoxy the trailer is enormous -- more than I'll spend on both chassis and wood combined. So, to combat this, I'm experimenting with Titebond III to see if it will work instead of the usual methods.

I'm also working out logistics of my toilet system. There's another thread in about that here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=35370

We're looking at highs in the 60's this weekend. Let's hope we get them; I'll be able to haul the build out and get some progress!
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Maddie-Dog!

Postby synaps3 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Chris, here's a few more pictures of Maddie-dog:

In the car:

Getting into trouble in the car:

Jumping for her ball:

Relaxin in our old yard:

Lookin around (probably for squirrels):

The Titebond III experiment has been called off, I'm just going to use US Composites Epoxy: http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html -- it costs about the same as the Titebond would have!

The weather seems nice -- looks like tomorrow will be a build day! :D
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby mandy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Funny my dog makes the same face when they are in trouble. :thinking: :lol:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks, Dave!!!

Image ur Maddie-dog.

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 pm

I got a ton of the wood I'll need yesterday...

12x 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" luaun
8x 1"x4" studs
16x 1"x3" studs

= ~$200

That should be enough for the walls. Still can't work on the TTT -- it's sleeting outside. :?
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby synaps3 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm

Looks like I might be getting a trailer upgrade later today. Saw an ad for a 6x12 trailer, and am looking into it...
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures of the pooch as well as the trailer. That dog has personality plus! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby synaps3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 pm

I ended up getting a larger trailer to build on!

It was a Craigslist special, reasonably priced at $150. It even has 3 stabilizer jacks! :lol: We're not entirely sure where the 4th is, but we don't ask questions with that kind of price.

She's just shy of 6' wide, 12' long! Perfect! :applause:

I'll have to replace all 3 tires (spare is old too), and replace the decking, but it looks like a keeper. The bearings are good, the torsion axle is solid, and the chassis is just a smidgen heavier than the old chassis.

Now to redesign slightly to keep some nice curves, without having nearly as much hanging off the chassis!

Anyone in Atlanta want to pick up a pre-modded HF chassis at-cost? :lol:
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Dave, overall loaded weight should now be a concern.

http://townhall.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efce659/0 <--- Good thread about towing w/ the CRV.

:thumbsup:

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:18 pm

teardrop_focus wrote:

Dave, overall loaded weight should now be a concern.

http://townhall.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efce659/0 <--- Good thread about towing w/ the CRV.

:thumbsup:

I'm getting a tranny cooler before we go on a trip.

I'm on HondaSUV.com, there's a whole other thread about CR-V specific towing. The European rating for tow on my model year is 3000lbs -- plenty enough for my trailer. I've towed way heavier too: http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=46241.

The new chassis should cut down on weight; my plans called for plopping a 6'6" wide x 12' long build on a 4'x8' HF trailer. Instead, now I'm putting a 6'6" wide x 12' long build on a 6' wide x 12' long trailer. The reduction of overhang will significantly cut weight up front, and reduce my frame's weight.

I'm slightly concerned about tongue weight being too light... :thinking:
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Alrightythen.

Sounds like you're prepared. :thumbsup:

I'm slightly concerned about tongue weight being too light... :thinking:

It's easier to increase tongue weight on a tear-style trailer than it is to decrease tongue weight (when not relocating the axle, that is).

Put your battery on the tongue if necessary. Etc...

:vroom:

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals