Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby vwbeamer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm

:thumbsup:
vwbeamer
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 pm

wow, you really have been busy with your model making. Outstanding, really looks good. Randy says your trailer frame looks good too. One suggestion (from Randy), "if you plan to mount a spare underneath the back like I did, put two pieces of angle iron even with the bottom of the frame to mount the tire. "
Really nice art deco touches. Your artistic talent is really shining through, that will be one beautiful tear! Go forth and build! :applause:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:19 pm

COOL!!! :thumbsup:
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks again guys!

Hi Debbie, I'll give Randy a call before I finalize the frame to make sure it's right. We do want to have the spare mounted just like yours.

Hi Brad, Good eye for breeds, he's a Wire Fox Terrier named Jack! A shrunk down Airedale!

Warmest Regards, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:11 am

GReat job on your model but I must comment on your webpage and your art, really nice.'

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby bbarry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:01 pm

DMcCam wrote:Hi Brad, Good eye for breeds, he's a Wire Fox Terrier named Jack! A shrunk down Airedale!

Ah, I didn't notice scale! :lol:
Brad

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Kampster build thread
bbarry
The 300 Club

Postby DasBaldGuy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Gorgeous model with great craftsmanship and attention to detail...I think it will translate to full-scale quite nicely!

Looking forward to the build!
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey Dave, I see you have named the trailer. Always a good sign, now you're attached, like to a dog or a baby, can't give it up now! But, what is the origin of the name? :thinking:
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:48 pm

Your model is missing just a few things. A little Lisa, a little Dave, a little doggy and a little workshop to build it in! Got your brother on board yet?
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks for the kind complements DasBaldGuy! I sure hope it works full size.

Hi Debbie and Randy, I've been too busy to shoot our little selves for the model. I'll be adding just a few details too.

The name came from the desire to keep with pre-WWII streamlining of the design. I liked the idea of it sounding like a manufacturer of the times too. 'Atma' means 'spirit or soul', so it's a travel tear for our spirits or Atma Travelear! It seems all of the teardrop campers are very happy campers indeed. We figured the the double meaning of 'spirit' as in 'happy or joyful' was too good to pass up. Here's the new Galley Hatch graphic.

My brother is on-board to assist in the cabinetry. I just talked to Doug last night, he was very helpful and kind. I now have a pretty good direction for the trailer/frame; Thanks Doug!

Cheers, Dave[/quote]
Last edited by DMcCam on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Welcome, Dave and Lisa! :P

DMcCam

'Atma' means 'spirit or soul', so it's a travel tear for our spirits or Atma Travelear! It seems all of the teardrop campers are very happy campers indeed. We figured the the double meaning of 'spirit' as in 'happy or joyful' was too good to pass up. Here's the new Galley Hatch graphic.

Superb!

doug hodder

I think you hit a home run with that profile.

Definately. :thumbsup: It's beautiful.

I've been scratching, erasing and then scratching some more with a pencil and french curves for 6 months now, trying to get something similar with a forward lean for a 9' footer...

Just when I think I'm 90% there, I alter one elipse and wind up taking three steps back. Designing a good profile is not easy. My hat is off to you, sir! Can't wait to see this teardrop in person. Perhaps at the IRG?

:dancing :vroom:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Dave,

Good design, fabulous model making.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby DMcCam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:58 pm

teardrop_focus
I've been scratching, erasing and then scratching some more with a pencil and french curves for 6 months now, trying to get something similar with a forward lean for a 9' footer...

Just when I think I'm 90% there, I alter one elipse and wind up taking three steps back. Designing a good profile is not easy. My hat is off to you, sir! Can't wait to see this teardrop in person. Perhaps at the IRG?

Thank you Chris, you are more than welcome to use my profile if it suits your needs. I adapted it from 10' to 9' for you.

dwgriff1
Good design, fabulous model making.

Thank you Dave, it's most appreciated.

Cheers, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 am

DMcCam

Thank you Chris, you are more than welcome to use my profile if it suits your needs. I adapted it from 10' to 9' for you.

:SG

Amazing... How do you do that so quickly? I am envious of your skills!

Thank you. That is very generous of you. I will keep you apprised.

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:35 am

*right clicks saves as*

ATMA_9ft_profile

:thumbsup:

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals