Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

Postby DMcCam » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Nelsonsrus wrote:Dave,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the trailer materials and was curious about your comment on things you might have changed. You said you thought you may have been able to lighten the chassis a couple hundred pounds. We're you thinking about going with a lighter gauge steel for the frame or was it something in the design?

I don't know that the weight is an issue. I was just curious since I'm basing my trailer design on yours, why mess with success right? I may add a couple receivers for a table or bike rack, but that's about it for changes.

Again, thanks for your build details.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. Exactly, we used heavy gauge 2" steel for the trailer chassis; way too heavy duty. I'd check with a local trailer company to see what they would recommend. The fellow who made mine thinks we could have shaved between 100 to 200# off. As you said the trailer works perfectly but, the tongue weight is a bit heavy. Every pound you save is one more you don't have to tow.

Cheers,

Dave

Tinbasher wrote:I love the shape and the way you have gotten the Deco style spot on.

I'm wondering if I can squeeze it down to 7 x 3 keeping the proportions, as a lightweight sleeper only for the trike.

Tin (Tom)

Hi Tom,

Yeah it would work as long as the doors will work for you scaled down in proportion.

Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby The Tin Tent » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi Dave, I would like to thank you for your inspiration. I am getting very close to finishing my trailer. Yours is one of the ones I borrowed heavily from.

Have you installed the new hatch struts yet? I didn't see anyone mention it but the lower the top mount is the harder it will be to lift until you cross the imaginary line drawn between the lower mount and the hinge pivot. If the top mount is above this line it won't be self closing, but will assist in lifting all the way.

Thanks
The Tin Tent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:04 am

The Tin Tent wrote:Hi Dave, I would like to thank you for your inspiration. I am getting very close to finishing my trailer. Yours is one of the ones I borrowed heavily from.

Have you installed the new hatch struts yet? I didn't see anyone mention it but the lower the top mount is the harder it will be to lift until you cross the imaginary line drawn between the lower mount and the hinge pivot. If the top mount is above this line it won't be self closing, but will assist in lifting all the way.

Thanks

Hi TTT, I'm glad my little design had been of help for your build! Actually, Good ol' Sam 'DessertMoose' has fixed up the engineering on the hatch issue. It looks like placing the attachment about 11" from the hinge and the pivot point at about the same angle but 28" long, we end up with about 2lbs of down force closed, and 25lbs lift when open. I just haven't had time to buy the parts and install them yet. :oops:

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby bcsnave » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:52 am

Fantastic build

Really a nice job on the design and execution.

Come on up to cooler by the lake in Apr 2014.

Bill
I like Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers
bcsnave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nelsonsrus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Dave,

Ordered my steel for the trailer and want to start thinking about the build above that.

I think at one time you mentioned you possibly had some design file you might be willing to share. Did I misread something? If you do, would they be compatible with SketchUp? That's about the only design software I can work with.

I'd like to see if it might work as a good starting point for modifying the walls, cabinetry, etc. to suit our needs and build plan.

If not, no big deal, all the information you posted is great for helping to avoid a few mistakes along the way, although I'm sure I'll make my share, hopefully recoverable ones. :D

Bryan
Nelsonsrus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:50 am

bcsnave wrote:Fantastic build

Really a nice job on the design and execution.

Come on up to cooler by the lake in Apr 2014.

Bill

Thank you Bill! Where is cooler by the like gathering?

Nelsonsrus wrote:I think at one time you mentioned you possibly had some design file you might be willing to share. Did I misread something? If you do, would they be compatible with SketchUp? That's about the only design software I can work with.

Bryan

Hi Bryan, I've let quite a few home-builders use my profile for there trailers. I have the file as an illustrator file, will that work?

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby danlott » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:14 pm

I have Dave's profile in SketchUp, I can PM it to you if Dave does not mind.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Tinbasher » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:32 pm

danlott wrote:I have Dave's profile in SketchUp, I can PM it to you if Dave does not mind.

Dan

I would really appreciate a copy too if Dave is ok with it?

Tom
A person can never own too many tools or have too many ideas or have too much interesting and useful stuff in the garage.
Tinbasher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DMcCam » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey Dan, You can share your sketch up profile with Bryan and Tom good sir. Thank you for offering.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Transit80 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Dave , I have just read through your build thread and what can I say that has not already been said??, it is absolutely brilliant!!!!. I am starting on my build tomorrow(Sunday 22nd Dec,frame and floor)and wondered if you have any plans ,drawings etc I could use. I have access to a CNC machine(it machines boards up to 10x8)but I would need drawings to give to the operator. Hope you are enjoying the masterpiece you have created because a lot of others are :) :) .

Chris Wilcox
Solihull, England
WED BERRUM EXUM TAE
Transit80
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:44 am

Hi Dave, a newbie here who found and read all of your build post all I can say is.... :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 am

Hi Dave,
First I would like to congratulate you on your awesome camper!
Your detailed writeups helps me figure out building mine tremendously.

One question, if I may ask, I have is regarding the way you attached the tongue box to the main camper.
It is permanently attached? I see what seems like the black fender gasket between tongue box and the camper and that make me think you are trying to keep water tight behind the tongue box, but I am not sure.

Sorry if you have address this somewhere already.
I am trying to think how I design my tongue box.

Thank you for any help.

Ryu
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby DMcCam » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:38 am

Transit80 wrote:Hi Dave , I have just read through your build thread and what can I say that has not already been said??, it is absolutely brilliant!!!!. I am starting on my build tomorrow(Sunday 22nd Dec,frame and floor)and wondered if you have any plans ,drawings etc I could use. I have access to a CNC machine(it machines boards up to 10x8)but I would need drawings to give to the operator. Hope you are enjoying the masterpiece you have created because a lot of others are :) :) .

Chris Wilcox
Solihull, England

Hi Chris, sorry for the late reply, you can use my profile but I don't have the CNC outlines available. Please let me know if I can help. Thank you for your kind compliments too!!!

Thank you so much Redneck Teepee, WOW!!!

ryuandwings wrote:One question, if I may ask, I have is regarding the way you attached the tongue box to the main camper.
It is permanently attached? I see what seems like the black fender gasket between tongue box and the camper and that make me think you are trying to keep water tight behind the tongue box, but I am not sure.

Hi Ryu, Thank you too for your compliments and I'm glad the thread is helping your build. I did seal the entire outer edge of the tongue box to the trailer just to make sure no water got to the wiring. The fender gasket worked pretty well to hide the slight void on the top edge too. I'd say it's permanently attached with RV sealant under the gasket. At least I'm not planning on ever removing it.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks Dave.
I was thinking about making mine permanently attached to the main body, too.
Thank you for the direction.

Ryu
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby Transit80 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:47 am

Thanks for the reply Dave, had a word with our workshop manager and he said it would take our programmer about three weeks to program the machine anyway :lol: :lol: .

Chris
WED BERRUM EXUM TAE
Transit80
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals