Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

Postby McGuffin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi Dave,

Lovely work on the gas struts. :applause:

I'm ordering up some "D" seal to seal around the outside lip of my doors. Can you remember the size of the stuff that you used?

Regards,

Larry
McGuffin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DMcCam » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:02 pm

McGuffin wrote:Hi Dave,

Lovely work on the gas struts. :applause:

I'm ordering up some "D" seal to seal around the outside lip of my doors. Can you remember the size of the stuff that you used?

Regards,

Larry

Thank you Larry! I got my "D" 1/2" door seals from Grant at http://www.teardrops.net/teardroptrailerparts.html It has worked perfectly. Any wider and it wouldn't fit on the back side of the "T" molding.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Strop » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:12 am

Hi Dave,

I still come back and read your build thread all the time. Great motivation. I am just trying to finalise a few things about my trailer design. I am going for a sprung axle though. The Atma Travelear looks about the right height but I was wondering a few things.

Do you know how much ground clearance your spare tyre has when the trailer is level?
I am assuming you have the same size tyre as a spare - you said 205/75/R14 from memory.
I am also wondering about how much clearance you have directly under the axle (trying to figure out how much the trailer sits down when loaded or I should say built. I can't remember reading that in the thread.)
And almost finally do you know what height your trailer sits at the tow ball connection at the front while level?

And now finally are you pleased you got electric brakes or could you have done without? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

All the best

Laurie
Strop
Teardrop Master

Re: Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop - Update 4/24 pg 37

Postby shootr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 pm

DMcCam wrote:Hi Everyone, We got the graphics and chrome on her this weekend!!!

Thanks to Mike (PubUltraStar) for printing my graphics and showing me how to install them! We're installing the Formica in the galley tomorrow; in the home stretch now for sure.

All the Best,

Dave

Hello Dave,

I searched as much as possible but could not find the answer to: The horizontal chrome strips on the sides that add the perfect nostalgia touch - where did you procure them from?

Thanks!

Scott
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Re: Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop - Update 4/24 pg 37

Postby DMcCam » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:10 pm

shootr wrote:Hello Dave,

I searched as much as possible but could not find the answer to: The horizontal chrome strips on the sides that add the perfect nostalgia touch - where did you procure them from?

Thanks!

Scott

Hi Scott,

The chrome strips come in a roll and are self adhesive backed plastic and...are a replacement part for Airstream trailers. We purchased ours from Paramount RV here in Reno but I would think any similar store near you might have it. The best part is that it wasn't that expensive.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby shootr » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:56 am

Awww, perfect. Thanks and congrats on a beautiful build.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:44 am

Hi Dave
I am glad your build Journal is still active and you are helping others with their questions. :thumbsup:
The coming of winter has brought me in by the fire, as camping season is over for us,
Thus, I have been spending some time on my computer catching up with what is happening in the Teardrop world. :thinking:
Finally got to read your entire build journal.....WOW! What an amazing journey you had with your build!
And what an awesome Job you did! :applause: :applause:
We hope you and Lisa are enjoying your "Atma Travelear" as much as we are enjoying our "Miss Piggy" since we debuted them together at the Dam Gathering in 2013.
Hope to have opportunity to camp with you again in the future!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
Have you given any thoughts to a second build?? :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Falcon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:52 am

What a great build, I am sooooooooooo glad you took so many pics. an love the retro, "Art Deco" look. You are truly a great craftsman! I only wish you lived closer. The sides , an cnc cutting, surelly you haver given some thought about "kitting" your tear drop?? (just saying)))
again great job. :)
port.
Be who you are, say what you want, those that matter wont mine an those that do don't matter.
more views of my build>>>------>http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=3761
Falcon
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nammy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:43 pm

This is one incredible build, bravo. I'll be incorporating some of your great ideas in my future build :)
Nammy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:17 pm

shootr wrote:Awww, perfect. Thanks and congrats on a beautiful build.

You are more than welcome Scott. Thank you Sir.

Vedette wrote:Hi Dave
I am glad your build Journal is still active and you are helping others with their questions. :thumbsup:
The coming of winter has brought me in by the fire, as camping season is over for us,
Thus, I have been spending some time on my computer catching up with what is happening in the Teardrop world. :thinking:
Finally got to read your entire build journal.....WOW! What an amazing journey you had with your build!
And what an awesome Job you did! :applause: :applause:
We hope you and Lisa are enjoying your "Atma Travelear" as much as we are enjoying our "Miss Piggy" since we debuted them together at the Dam Gathering in 2013.
Hope to have opportunity to camp with you again in the future!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
Have you given any thoughts to a second build?? :twisted:

Hi Ya Brian! As you demonstrate all the time with your kind help, once you build one of these, you just want to help others too. :thumbsup: I'm glad you enjoyed my build thread so much. Your Miss is a true marvel!!! :applause: :applause:

We did have a lot of fun building the Travelear for sure. Since the Dam Gatthering we've put a couple of thousand miles on her and having a BLAST! :applause: It would be great to camp together with you and Sandi maybe next year if possible. As to a second build...I think I'm done. :D

Falcon wrote:What a great build, I am sooooooooooo glad you took so many pics. an love the retro, "Art Deco" look. You are truly a great craftsman! I only wish you lived closer. The sides , an cnc cutting, surelly you haver given some thought about "kitting" your tear drop?? (just saying)))
again great job. :)
port.

Hi Falcon, Thank you very much Kind Sir! Actually, I'm drawing a complete set of plans for the Travelear due out next year (I hope). :worship:

Nammy wrote:This is one incredible build, bravo. I'll be incorporating some of your great ideas in my future build :)

Thank you Nammy, That's why we make these threads, to help the next person with their build. After camping in the AT for two years; I wouldn't change a thing.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby TxDave » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:30 am

From one Dave to another...your Travelear is absolutely gorgeous. I am so impressed with the quality of your work. Your build journal is an invaluable resorce.
Attachments
trailer1sm.jpg
trailer1sm.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 6757 times
Dave and Jan Clay
Temple, TX
TxDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shoprat » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:09 am

Did you leave the alluminum siding bare? Or did you apply a sealant/ clear coat? I like the brushed finish.
Shoprat
Teardrop Builder

Postby DMcCam » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:56 am

TxDave wrote:From one Dave to another...your Travelear is absolutely gorgeous. I am so impressed with the quality of your work. Your build journal is an invaluable resorce.

Thank you very much Dave! It's very gratifying to hear that my journal is helping other builders with their teardrops.

Shoprat wrote:Did you leave the alluminum siding bare? Or did you apply a sealant/ clear coat? I like the brushed finish.

Welcome to the forum Shoprat! We left the anodized aluminum as it came. We just wash it off with a mild dish soap and water then dry.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby TxDave » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:06 am

Hi again, Dave.

Just a couple of quick questions for you.

Some builders suggest using the "floating" method for attaching the aluminum skin. I noticed you went with contact cement. Over time, have you had any problems resulting from using this method?

I love the doors on your cabinets. Did you use some sort of offset piano hinge? If so, where did you get your hinges?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave and Jan Clay
Temple, TX
TxDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DMcCam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:37 am

TxDave wrote:Hi again, Dave.

Just a couple of quick questions for you.

Some builders suggest using the "floating" method for attaching the aluminum skin. I noticed you went with contact cement. Over time, have you had any problems resulting from using this method?

I love the doors on your cabinets. Did you use some sort of offset piano hinge? If so, where did you get your hinges?

Thanks,
Dave

Howdy Dave,

Mr. Grant Whipp suggested that we use auto vinyl roof adhesive to glue our aluminum to the wood. It is a flexible adhesive that moves with the expansion and contraction of the aluminum. So far it's worked perfectly with absolutely no issues. Regular contact cement will not move and some have had it delaminate from their walls or roof.

Thank you for your kind compliment on my inset cabinets. I used standard chrome plated piano hinge from Lowes. The mounting area is about 1/2" folded with the pin side out. The hinge is mounted flush to both the door and the wall (both are 1/2" Baltic birch). The round pin side is all that sticks out into the cabin. Here's a picture for you.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals