Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby aggie79 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:23 pm

I used the "white" 3/4" insulation. It runs truer to width than the "pink" or "blue" and also compresses easier. This is important when you're trying to fit 3/4" material into the actual 23/32" width of 3/4" plywood walls. The white type is more messy, though.

As an aside, most glues will not readily bond to the plastic vapor barrier, so I peeled it off both sides before gluing. Also, the foil radiant barrier is usually between the insulation foam and the vapor barrier and unfortunately it comes off when you peel off the plastic.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:47 pm

so Dave, when you gonna start? yea, when you gonna start, when you gonna start. Hey, Dave when you gonna start? :twisted:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:05 pm

I am so grateful for all the help. Thank you all for giving me the benefit of your experience guys.

I think this is the final general framing plan based on your input. I"ll be using the best match for the wall thickness when I get down to purchasing the insulation. Since I"m using Tom's skeletonized plywood framing I"ll have to match the insulation to the actual plywood I get for the build.

Download large jpeg image here:
http://www.vulcaniavolunteers.com/TEARDROP/TFPLN_IPEBIG.jpg

Hey Randy, I have started! Well at least in my little mind. Being the planning type (really?). I will end up with a complete set of plans for every phase my build before I start construction; from the patterns to the wiring and finishing. Because I want to make just one TD, I don't want to make any mistakes. I consider making finished plans the crucial beginning of building my trailer. By the time I'm actually making sawdust I"ll know exactly how everything will go together...mostly. :worship:

Here's a link to my other thread on planning my trailer frame/chassis. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=35097&start=30

Thanks again, Dave
Last edited by DMcCam on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Dave's Planned TD Trailer

Postby down under tech » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi Dave: You can only put off the build for so long. I want to see pics of sparks flying. No, not Sparks, but glowing metal embers coming off a grinder. For those of you out there that are not familiar with the Reno area we have an adjoining city that is called Sparks and we have a joke here to describe where Reno is located. It goes like this. "Reno is so close to Hell that you can see Sparks from here"!

I want to see and smell that saw dust here in Sun Valley, Mister. If you need some help, PM me or email me.

You are doing a good job of designing your tear, so far. "Build it and they will come". :sneakers:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Hey Dave, are you guys still gonna make it out to Austin for a day trip next weekend? It will be a small group this year, but still worth the trip.

Downunder Tech, Dave needs to see Sparks, In-STEAD!! ha ha another Reno joke! :lol: :lol: :lol: So maybe he is not actually in Stead, but he should soon be seeing Sparks.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Debbie and Randy, It's a no go for Austin this year darn it. We really wanted to see you two and all the TD's. We have had a bunch of things pile up on that weekend that were not planned.

Downunder, We'll be making sparks soon enough, well maybe Lemons...inStead of Sparks. Lemon Valley that is! That's where my brother's shop is. I'll let ya know when the trailer chassis is ready and thanks for the offer!

Cheers, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:59 am

Our new TV was delivered late Thursday night, a 2004 Honda Element!!! Wahooo!!!

Now we just need the tow package and licensing (see how I think). Now on to the trailer chassis build.

Dave
Last edited by DMcCam on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 am

Nice! 1,500 lbs tow capacity, 150 lbs tongue weight! Build light, and have a blast! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm envious! :envious:

Congratulations on your new TV! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby wgwood » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:40 pm

DMcCam wrote:Our new TV was delivered late Thursday night, a 2004 Honda Element!!! Wahooo!!!

Now we just need the tow package and licensing (see how I think). Now on to the trailer chassis build.

Dave

If you haven't done so already, be sure to visit http://www.elementownersclub.com Many members of the forum there have teardrops and are also on here. Lots of great advice and tips about your Element.

Regards,
Greg
wgwood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby synaps3 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:38 am

HondaSUV is a great resource too:

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/forumdisplay.php?f=4

:thumbsup:
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby DMcCam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:46 am

Hi Cliff, When my wife first said she liked the Element, I figured I'd make sure about the tow rating. 1,500 lbs seemed just right for a TD. The Travelear is projected to be around 900 lbs unloaded... :worship:

Thanks for congrats S. My girl and I have bought all our vehicles using a system that has worked well for us. We buy used cars that are less than 10 years old, have low mileage and cost no more that $10,000. We were very fortunate to get an Element that fit this equation. :D

That Element Owners Club site was a great tip Greg, thanks a lot! Man there's a ton of info there.

Now on to, wiring the harness, electric brake controller and the tow package.

Cheers, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 am

I've been wondering what everyone did with the overlapping wood area that covers the 2" steel trailer frame? Of course you would have to seal it very well but what else? Do you attach it in anyway to the trailer frame?

Thanks, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 pm

DMcCam wrote:I've been wondering what everyone did with the overlapping wood area that covers the 2" steel trailer frame? Of course you would have to seal it very well but what else? Do you attach it in anyway to the trailer frame?

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

I left a 1/8" gap between the frame rail and the interior side of the sidewall extension on both sides. I figured that 1/4" tolerance would account for any slight deviations in the trailer frame construction. The sidewall extension (and floor) are sealed with 1 coat of CPES, 1 coat of epoxy, and a light coat of automotive undercoating. I plan to leave the "gap" open.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby grizz » Sat May 08, 2010 9:38 am

Never seen one of those Honda's.

Great and almost Retro looking , should look nice with the trailer.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals