Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Emaxx3 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:40 am

Hi Dave - love the profile on your design... do you mind if I borrow (steal) it for my build? It really strikes me as the best I've seen. I hope you don't mind, I'll try and do you proud.

BTW - I'm going for a simple build - 3/4" ply sides and a standard framed roof. Going for a 5+ wide. Building over a HF trailer (wish I could afford a custom built trailer) but maybe for #2 or #3. :twisted:

Thanks!
Jon
Emaxx3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 am

May 09, jeez, how did I miss your post Jon, by all means use the profile for your build if you haven't already finished!

It's official, our frame is being fabricated this week by the great folks at Coffee PER!!! :lol: I'll ask for production shots to post! Looking at ordering all the kit in the next few days. With any luck I'll have the trailer frame build ready in a couple weeks (the Flexiride axle takes 7-10 days).

Cheers, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Keep this up Dave and we will have to call you a teardrop builder. Good luck with your build. I will be watching... :o
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Hey Johnny, I can't wait to get going! I've been watching your build thread in awe! We have got to get together very soon.

Cheers, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

All Righty Then...

Postby down under tech » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi Dave: I PM'ed you to keep your blog clear of a lot of unwanted posts.

Good Luck :D
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:18 am

yeah, Dave! can't wait to see it. Watch out and don't cut of your thumb, says the woman who knows! Hey Nevada guys and gals, there is now Nevada Tearjerker group set up over on the Tearjeaker forum. The Directors are from Las Vega, but she and her husband want to make this a statewide club with gatherings all over. Check it out. http://tearjerkers.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=58
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby PhotoGuy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 pm

I really like the model. First one I have seen with that much detail
PhotoGuy
Teardrop Master

Postby Judeyramone » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Sturid necwbie question (and I have searched before posting), but what exactly makes this construction method:

So vastly (and obviously) superior to this one:

What I'm talking about is how the headliner is installed. Seems to me, there is more support for the headliner in the second photo, which would follow the contours of the sidewall exactly, and if building from the inside out, use of a router & flush trimming bit would ensure super-exact fit of all panels. I have a construction plan in mind, which is easier to imagine that to describe, but my headliner goes in exactly the same way as the second photo, then wiring installation, insulation, and finally exterior skin.

What I imagine for my own build, is to cut an interior skin & frame it with 3/4 dimensional lumber, install a headliner (exactly as shown in photo 2), wiring as needed, add spars, install outer skin on sides (flush trim w/router), then install roof material (once again, flush trim w/router).

It seems simpler to me, coming from a more conventional residential construction background, to install the headliner, screwing nailing or stapling it to sidewall assembly, before insulating & installing the outer skins.
Judeyramone
Teardrop Master

Postby DMcCam » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi Judeyramone, I'm a newbie too so ask away, we'll get answers together.

To be honest, I just looked over countless builds and found that the second solution seemed to be the preferred method. I think the main reason for this construction is based on the difference between a non-moving structure and one that will be doing the shake, rattle and roll. There is a ton more dynamic strains on a moving platform so most of the builders keep the walls all the way up to the roof skin and glue and screw the spars on. I'm still waffling as to which method I'll be using.

You might want to pick up Steve Frederick's TD shop manual on CD (www.campingclassics.com); it's awesome! He uses a method that sound's just like what you are describing. He fills the spaces between the spars with curved blocking; genius! It's just an unbelievable asset for anyone wishing to build a Teardrop.

Cheers, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:32 am

JudyR

I did my head liner like the second one. I built my walls on an assembly table then fastened them to the floor. Then i put in a few temporary pieces to make sure the top was proper distance apart and fitted the head liner in using glue and screws into the top of the inner frame. Then I put the spars in with glue to the headliner. Used some slightly to long thin wood strips inside the cabin to add pressure to hold the head liner against the spars.

I really liked doing it like this as one can pre finish the head liner ( leaving where it will glue to wall ) before installing and also that the fit is so tight that you probably will not need trim to hide boo boos.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:07 am

I started doing the second method for the headliner, (maybe the inventor? :thinking: ) 6 teardrops ago.

As Wolfarmer said, it avoids gaps and the need for trim to hide gaps.
This method is easy on the back, and affords an opportunity to finish the interior before closing up.
Build all of the interior stuff, then install the headliner.
As your signature says "Push the button Dave"

You've done a great job designing and modeling, BTW.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby DMcCam » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 am

Yep, your method makes the most sense Steve. Especially finishing the interior first. Thanks for your kind compliments by the way; I'm honored. Debbie and Randy of Lovelock recommended your build journal as a must have and boy, were they right! I can't thank you enough for doing all the hard work creating it. I'll be using a lot of your techniques in my build to come.

Speaking of the build, our trailer frame and tongue are welded awaiting the axle now!!! :twisted: Should have pictures soon. I'll have the final plans done and will post them soon.

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 am

Hi again Judeyramone, Funny how absence makes for poor memory. I was just reviewing my plans and figured out why I was leaning away from Steve's method; skeletonized plywood. Steve's method is perfect for stick frame construction but if you frame with plywood, there didn't seem to be a good way to attach the blocking above the headliner. You would be fastening it into the end grain of the ply. Somehow you grabbed the intermediate design not the final one. Here it is below.

As you can see the headliner will just rest on the interior 1/8" plywood; tight tolerance for sure. I can still pre-finish the headliner but the fit will be a challenge.
Last edited by DMcCam on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Progress

Postby danlott » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Any progress Dave? I know it has been a cold winter, but has been warmer lately. Did you get your frame finished?

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Dan, My chassis will be done anytime now so I've been chomping at the bit to get started. The winter has been extremely mild with no precipitation in January; very bad for summer water usage. I've been making a full hardware and materials list to have a real budget to work within. I don't know if it counts but I bought my 1932 Ford door handles. ;)

How's things with your build?

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals