"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby down under tech » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Dave: How did you know I was going to mount a tongue box on the front? Terry and I went to Cabelas Wednesday evening after work and picked up a plastic Dee Zee triangle box to put up front for $99 on sale. I plan to paint it silver before I install it.

Larry: Yes, that is regular 1/2" U channel on the sides the hatch will rest on. I got it from Lowes. The trim I have running along the top of the sides and roof, I got from Vintek back east. Go to Ebay and search for "teardrop trailer". It is the kind that leaves the screws visible. He also has it with the plastic screw cover as well. Be sure to buy a couple hundred SS screws he sells. They are a great deal.

Sharon: I was hoping to have it done by the end of June, but I have been working a lot of overtime lately. Terry and I went camping last week end in our 5X8 cargo trailer to a place called Stampede Dam, (I'm sure Dave knows where I am talking about) 40 miles from Reno. We had a good time. I can't wait to take the "Silver Nugget".

We had visitors... There were four young deer that came right up to our camp site. They were just about tame. That was cool.

Lil: I just ran the edges of the back of the face frame through my router table and cut the center pieces and that left a lip to lay the 1/4" plywood in and it is recessed for a nice look. I plan to do the cabinet doors that way too. You can see a picture of that below.

I need to get back at it so I can make an update today or tomorrow. Thanks you guys and gals... Take care !!! :)
Last edited by down under tech on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Update, 07-15-2011

Postby down under tech » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 pm

I got the tongue box painted today. It was black. I used Krylon Hammered Silver paint for plastic. The weatherman was calling for rain, so I stopped there and I will be back at it tomorrow morning. Look for a better update then.

Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby ubear7 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 am

Great job Johnny. :applause:

On the U channel you bought at Lowes. Did it curve easily or did you have to anneal it? Also is it 3/4" U channel.
:thinking:
1998 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4, 2006 Dutchmen Denali 33rlbs
ubear7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LDK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:07 pm

ubear7 wrote:Great job Johnny. :applause:

On the U channel you bought at Lowes. Did it curve easily or did you have to anneal it? Also is it 3/4" U channel.
:thinking:

I asked that same question and he said it was 1/2" but he never did say how easy it was to bend. I may go that route or I might just use 3/4" angle aluminum. I'm almost at that point.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Looks good Johnny :applause: I like the way your box turned out. Larry Lowe's also has 3/4" u channel also and its thin I bought a piece a couple od weeks ago to try and aneal.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby down under tech » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 am

ubear7 & Larry: The "U" channel is 1/2". It is available in 3/4" as well. My wall plywood is 3/8" thick. With the two layers of aluminum on the inside and outside, 1/2" is just right for thickness. I did have to anneal it. I was intimidated the first time I did annealing on these pieces. I don't know why though. It was no problem annealing the aluminum. It is very easy. I just fired up my hand held torch and I used Mapp gas instead of propane to heat it up, it burns hotter. Just heat up about 4 to 6" at a time for 10 to 15 seconds. Keep the flame moving. If you see it start to blister that is too much heat in one area. the piece will bent on it's own weight. Be sure to wear some leather gloves and watch you don't burn yourself. Let it cool down before you bend it to the shape you need. I started at the top of the notch and held it there and it bent smoothly as I went down the curve. When I got to the bottom, I marked it a little long and removed it and cut it with a hack saw. Then finished the bottom with a file to the exact length. I am not intimidated now. It is easy, try it, you will like it...

Cliff: Thanks, I got the doors finished up over the weekend. I did some more annealing on the trim for them too.

Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:33 am

Johnny,

The Silver Nugget looks fantastic! I really like the way you trimmed out your aluminum. Your cabinet work is superb! Keep up the good work. You're in the home stretch now.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby DMcCam » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Johnny, love the doors! It looks like you have two layers of aluminum molding on them? Or did you use just the 3/4" 'T' molding (I can't tell from the picture)? Are you planning on sealing them with just the outside 'T' or are you going to add an interior seal too?

Again, great work sir,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Tom: Thanks, I am just trying to make it look good so when someone asks who built it, I can say "I built it myself". Your "Silver Beatle" TD is coming along very nicely as well. You are a better craftsman than me though.
My TD will look good and I am proud of how it is turning out. ;)

Dave: Your TD is of much better caliber than mine. The doors will have one seal behind the tee moulding. The doors did turn out good. I like the way they look. I used 1/2" angle on the hinge side of the doors, inside and out. I tried to use the 1/2" on the inside edge of the doors on the curved part of the door, but when I got to the tight radius at the bottom of the door it kinked up on me even though I annealed it. I did like the "Cubby" plans told me to do, I cut down one leg of the angle to 1/4" wide on my table saw. I was not sure I should do it on the table saw like the plans called for, but I made a feather board to hold the trim down and against the fence and it went fine. I ran six of them through the saw. I dressed up that edge with a file and I drilled the screw holes next on my bench top drill press at 4" intervals and countersunk the holes for the screws to set flush when they were tightened down. Once I had them all totally machined, I annealed them. This time they bent around the curves with ease. I used 1" tee moulding around the outside edges of the door. It bent very easy. I had to finesse it with a rubber hammer on the two tight turns.
You can see how that turned out. :thumbsup:

Today, I will trim out the door openings on the side walls with the remaining four pieces of trim.8)
Last edited by down under tech on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Today, I trimmed out the door openings on the side walls. It went pretty smooth. It was very time consuming though. I took a couple of pictures to show you. It will be next week before I can work on it because of the 13 hour days I have been working at my job. Terry and I will be camping again in the cargo trailer this coming week end. It worked out good the last time we went. We both need the refreshing down time a good week end of camping can give you.

:applause:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:25 am

Hey Johnny D., It's been a while since I checked out your build. You are making great progress and I think you're a bit modest about your craft skills. That's first rate work that I'm seeing!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
These things always seem to take longer than planned but you're getting along just fine. You're detail work is second to none. Can't wait to see it in person. Looks like there are going to be a few fine TD's here in No NV. You're setting the bar pretty high.

You've got a right to be real proud of that build :applause: :applause: :applause:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm with Mel, you're underselling your excellent work my friend! :thumbsup: :applause: You are an inspiration to all of us Johnny!!!

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Mel & Dave: I don't mean to sound modest. I am just not a braggart. I let my work speak for it's self. It means a lot to me to hear such high praise from you guys. Thank You...

The "Silver Nugget" is not finished yet... Terry and I are going back up to Stampede this week-end. I just finished loading up the cargo trailer.
As soon as Terry gets home from work, we are off and running. :applause:

We hope all of you have a fine week-end!!!
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 pm

This is not an "Update". It is info on last week-end's recreation...

Terry and I went back up to Stampede Dam and I took a few pictures for you to look at. This first one is the lake formed by the dam.

This one is the entrance to the campground. You can see it is "FULL".

Here is our campsite. "Camp Sweet Camp".

This coming week-end I will be back working on the "Silver Nugget". :applause:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:44 am

Looks like you had a great time Johnny! We're heading out this morning but we're taking our pop up and yaks to a state park in GA called High Falls. I'll be taking time off next month to work on my tear but enjoy seeing your progress and workmanship bud.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals