"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Hey, Johnny, you got some good deals there and the fabric is perfect for your TD! How long of a drive is it to Roseville from your neck of the woods?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Second Update 7-4-2010

Postby down under tech » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Sharon: Thanks for your comments. It means a lot to me to hear from you. It is a two hour drive from Reno to Roseville. It is a four hour round trip. The fabric is the same stuff Doug used in his Sierra Nomad build. I was pleasantly surprised to find it on Ebay, so I snagged it up, it was the last the seller had. I have a lady friend that lives down by Roseville and we went to the swap meet together. She offered to sew the curtains together for me and I will take her up on her offer.

Grizz: I didn't think about the older fan looking retro, but you are right. I will place it somewhere inside the TD and I will have a double toggle switch to facilitate the two speed feature of the fan. Off-Low-High.

Parnold: I love the lighter wood. It will keep the inside bright and it won't look stuffy but light and airy.

The vinyl headboard will be a light brown color that will contrast with the oak panels.

Here is what it will look like against the oak panels in full sunlight.

The headliner is going to be some sort of tin ceiling. You can get plastic panels from Lowes or elsewhere in different colors that I will install when the build gets to that point. I think I will use copper panels in my build. Here are some pics of what I had in mind. They need to have a small repeat pattern so they will look proportionate in the small space of the TD.

Let me know what you think about my ideas. Will this look good or what?
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Tiles

Postby Karon888 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:48 am

Are you gonna put in a ceiling fan as well? LOL :thumbsup:
Your sister :D
Karon888
Teardrop Inspector

Ceiling Fan

Postby down under tech » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Yes Sister Dear: It is called a Fantastic fan, Smart Ace... :roll:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Mini Update, 7-14-2010

Postby down under tech » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey there folks: I have not had much time to spend on the build lately. I did get a microwave oven at Wal-Mart for $39 the other day. I needed to have it here so I could configure the galley cabinets. I placed the big stuff on the counter to see what remaining area I had to work with for cabinets. I bought a new 28 quart cooler that is large enough just to fit in the galley. The one I already have is way too big to fit inside the galley.

I started to build the cabin cabinet face frame out of red oak that I will seal it with marine spare varnish. I won't stain it so the color stays light. It will have a cupboard on each side with two shelves each. The upper center compartment will house the 12 volt and 110 AC electrical outlets and the wall mounted RV stereo system. The lower center opening will just be a shelf that I can set my laptop on so I can watch DVDs. I have a TV tuner set up that I can hook up to the lap top and cable when I stay at a camp ground that offers that service. Most of the time, I can watch DVDs.

I am on vacation this week. In the next couple of days, I would like to get the cabin and galley cabinets roughed in. I will show you how that turns out. 8)

Take care people,
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Mini update #2, 7-14-2010

Postby down under tech » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 pm

OK, Here is my second update for today. :o

I started building the two shelves for the cabin cabinets this morning. I used my Kreg Jig set up to assemble them. Here is the lower shelf after it was put together. I made them out of pine because it won't be seen and I had a bunch of it because I used oak & poplar else where.

I just put the oak face frame in there, it is a friction fit. I will need to sand it to make it fit better later. I measured the distance to the rear bulk head to the back of the face frame and I built the lower shelf frame to that dimension.

I built the upper shelf next and it also is just setting in there. I will trim the front of the upper shelf with the oak glue on tape veneer to make it all look right.

That's it for today. I will tackle the galley cabinets next... :whistle:

Seize Ya,
Last edited by down under tech on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Same stuff ... different day ...

Postby Karon888 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Looking good bro! What 'cha doin' on your vacation other than this? 8)
Karon888
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chuckles2153 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:38 am

I'm liking the the way your cabinets are turning out, and the headboard looks cool too.
Chuck
Chuckles2153
Teardrop Master

Postby down under tech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 am

My Sister: Thanks for your approval of my build. I am going to spend this weekend in the Sacramento area Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I am planning on going to the CA state fair on Saturday with a lady friend. Who knows what might happen on the other days... :roll:

Chuckles2153: Thank you for the kind words. I am trying to do a satisfactory job on this build. I thought of something while I was looking at the picture of the cabin cabinet face frame. Since I am making the top shelf the same hight all the way across the teardrop, I will just add a piece of oak to cover the shelf face for the two side cupboards. This will be easy since none of this assembly is attached yet. This way the shelf won't be seen. It will look cleaner, too.

Then it is on to the galley cabinets. These will be more involved in building, but I know I will be able to "Get R Done". Watch for my progress later today. :thumbsup:
Last edited by down under tech on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Not bad progress for a welder.

Looking great as always JD.

Nicola says she is thinking about your offer, but wants to make it impossibly difficult for you to achieve 8)

I am sure she will figure something out soon enough.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby down under tech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks Grizz: I do alright when I put my mind to something. You have to remember though, I am not a weldor. I just tried hard to fix the screw up that was done on Pam M's trailer frame and it turned out acceptable. "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while".
Tell Nicola I will get here a "Reno" novelty of some sort from the souvenir shops downtown. :)
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Your vacation

Postby Karon888 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:11 am

Bro', I sure hope it is cooler in CA! Jeezz, I am glad that the weather is going to be a bit cooler next week! What did you bring me back from the CA State Fair? I hope your trip was "fruitful" 8)
Love yya, Your sis! :D
Karon888
Teardrop Inspector

Update, 7-28-2010

Postby down under tech » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi All: I have not had much time to spend on my build lately. Work is taking most of my time and personal obligations the rest of my time.

I did add some cross bars on the cabin cabinet face frame. The first picture is how it looked before and the second picture shows how it will look better finished this way. I added the two pieces of oak to cover the front of the top shelf fronts on the right and left compartments.

In the galley, this is what it looked like before I started to build the cabinets inside the galley.

On the left side of the galley, the three spots that are open(left to right), I will add the 120 volt fuse and master shut off switch. The second place will be for a 12 volt outlet and the cable TV hook up fitting. The third space is for a 120 volt GFCI outlet. I will add a couple of 120 volt outlets inside the cabin that will feed off of the GFCI outlet. I will make this panel so it swings up on two hinges to gain access to the wires behind there if needed. The oak will trim the pine that is behind the oak to make it all look more finished. I will leave the gap under the electrical panel so the microwave oven has adequate ventilation.

The right side of the galley I will build some cabinets that have two sliding doors on the front.

I will get more of this cabinet done asap and post more pictures when I can. Thanks everyone and take care...
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:42 am

down under tech wrote:Tell Nicola I will get here a "Reno" novelty of some sort from the souvenir shops downtown. :)

Hey, Johnny, you might consider a sticker from RenoEnvy. They would send over the pond easily and they have the cool ones with a pic of TTT on them.
http://www.renoenvy.com/index.php/store/stickers/og-trailer-green-yellow.html
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:34 pm

.......................... Hmmmmmmm ???

Personal Obligations ...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get the idea.

Good progress again, regardless of obligations etc.

PS: The Reno eNVy sticker is very nice, especially the "John Deere" style one.

I do have a weakness for stickers, just look at my bus, or even my company car.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals