"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Update, 8-02-2010

Postby down under tech » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Hey everyone: I was able to complete a little more work on the Silver Nugget over the last few days.

I got one coat of marine spar varnish on the red oak cabin cabinet face frame.

I started on the basic wiring of the fixtures that need to be installed through the outer walls so I can do more of the galley cabinets.

I added the cable TV fitting hook up below the 110 Volt hook up.

Here is how it looks from inside the galley. I will replace the long screws for the cable hook up with SS machine screws that are shorter, later. These screws are only for mock-up now.

I mounted the porch lights to the sides of the TD, too.

I had to route a trough in the mounting block for the porch light wires so the inner wall skins will set flush against the blocking.

That is it for this update. I hope you all have a great week ! :guzzle:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Update, 8-04-2010

Postby down under tech » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:08 am

This is a small update because I was trying to make an oak panel to fit in behind the oak face frame I built to house the electrical switches & outlets for the galley. It splintered out so I used some of the aluminum that I got from that old truck camper a while back. I like the look of it much better than how the oak would have looked like. I made it so it would open up so if I need to access the electrical, I can swing it up and there it is. This is how it looks with the antique brass finish hinges installed.

It looks good with the aluminum panel behind the oak. I will cut out openings for all of the electrical outlets and switches and the 12 volt outlet and the cable TV hook up too. (The dent in the third section will be cut out for a 120 Volt outlet.) The switches will be recessed inside the frame.

It has not been all work and no play lately because it is "Hot August Nights" in Reno now and I was able to see some really nice cars and I got to get our picture taken of myself and my girlfriend Terry setting in my good friend and barber, Leroy's 1931 Ford Model "A" High Boy roadster.

This is the owner of the car, Leroy, his wife Wendy and son, Jeffery.

More to come later... :)
Last edited by down under tech on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 am

Ally looks good and different.
Interesting how some of the challenges sent our way, sometimes result in much better outcomes.

Like I said in the email, you guys look like a team in that pic.

Continue to just shake my head at your finishes, the woodwork makes me embarrased at what I turned out.

Well done so far JD.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Update, 8-21-2010

Postby down under tech » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:32 am

Hi everyone: I have not made much progress on the "Silver Nugget" lately because of all the overtime I have been putting in at work. Next week I go back to my normal hours. Then I will go into overdrive on the build. My girlfriend, Terry has been busy on the cabin appointments though.

This is what Terry made for our teardrop trailer. She made the pillow cases for the bed out of the trailer fabric I got earlier and she made a couple of accent pillow cases too that are for a couple of smaller pillows out of a $3.00 sheet from Wal-Mart and a couple of patches from Jo Ann Fabric.

This is the bedding that will go inside for now. I bought a 4" foam mattress for the teardrop. I will get a 2" mattress topper for it to add to the comfort level.

I went to the downtown "Reno eNVy" store and I got a couple of these T-shirts for us. I'm not sure what is going on here but it looks like there was a heck of a wreck. :roll:

I also got theses stickers from there.

I will work on the TD tomorrow when I get back from Sacramento. I am going to check on the aluminum for the top and sides today. Have a great week end! :fan:
Last edited by down under tech on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:36 am

We got the blue tee shirts like your stickers and the green stickers a while back. Love them. As for your tee shirt, that is how teardrops are created! :oops:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:22 am

WOOOOOHOOOOOO !!

Johnny, you and Terry are making good progress there, I loved it when Nicola did the interior stuff for our tear.

Did not realise Spongebob vas a hero in the USA as well.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Update, 8-25-2010

Postby down under tech » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi out there: I was able to get the galley cabinet closer to made up today. It was a real chore to make it up so it would fit the ever dwindling space I have left in the galley. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Hopefully I can get the bottom shelf installed and get the cabinet installed in place tomorrow. :thinking:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Looks like it was a good day's work. Lookin' good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:22 pm

I just noticed something. You're quoting Henry Ford:

"If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

I'm quoting a modified version of The Little Engine That Could
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Thanks Sharon

Postby down under tech » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks Sharon... I think you can, I Think You Can, I KNOW YOU CAN !!!

As far as the quote from Henry Ford, he was right!

It just takes time and the will to do it. I have been working so much overtime for the last 3 to 4 months that I have not had much time for TD time. Now that I'm back on my regular hours, I can spend more time on the build and then I can "get r done". How is your TD coming along? Yours is looking good, too. It has been so hot that I can't get moving in this heat, if you know what I mean. All we can do is keep plugging along.
Some day, we will both be finished. Then we can relax at a campground... :Flippin Burger:
Last edited by down under tech on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for asking. I'm plugging along slow, but okay. I have what I call "One-more-thing-itis" plus I mentally "chew" on most everything before, during, and after I do it. :roll:

Yup! Too Darn Hot here, too! It was 110 degrees here yesterday. The weather is going to be cooling down soon and maybe it'll be easier for both of us to make some more progress on our builds. 8)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Mini Update, 8-26-2010

Postby down under tech » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:52 pm

I spent a couple hours this afternoon and finished up the galley cabinet box. I still need to apply the shelf top of red oak plywood. I also need to apply the plywood to the left side that will show and the top of the cabinet that will be visible. I guess that will be done tomorrow. I left a little more than 1/4 inch overhang so the plywood end grain is covered up. This way you won't see it. I can't believe how much time it has taken to build this cabinet. Oh well, I'm glad I only have to build one for the galley.

The oak face frame is on the side facing us in the above picture.

The face frame is on the top in this lower picture. All of the other wood I used is pine. It is light weight and it will only be seen when the cabinet doors are open. I still will seal the whole thing with marine spar varnish so it holds up to what ever comes it's way.

It is starting to look like this is coming together now. I can't wait to go camping. :D
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 am

Your detail and finish continues to amaze and please me Johnny.

That cabinet must be able to carry 300kg easy.

Nicola and I have a collection of English bits to wrap up and post for you and Terry, hope to get it done over the weekend.
Looks like we may be moving house next friday..... :shock:
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Update, 8-28-2010

Postby down under tech » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:28 pm

OK, I spent today finishing the galley cabinet. I still need to make the doors for it, but I want to get the aluminum skins on and install the roof and so on first.

I got the electrical panel roughed in today, also. I still need to run the wiring later on.

This is the aluminum piece I got out of that old camper. You also see my 110 volt AC main shutoff switch with a screw in fuse holder. I got a 20 amp Heavy Duty GFCI outlet and this will also protect the outlet/s that will go inside the cabin.

Here is a picture of the cabinet and you can see that it is finished off in red oak plywood. I think it will look pretty good after it is varnished. What do you think???

I was drinking Pepsi through out the day. Now, I have switched over to something a little bit harder. MGD, Miller Genuine Draft Beer.

I hope all is going well for all of you out there!!! :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:24 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looking very, very nice! Can't wait to see what you do below the countertop now!
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals