"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:59 pm

down under tech wrote:
Mel: We are going to go to Prosser Reservoir up near Truckee, CA for our first outing. Hopefully next week end, the 25th.

Glad to hear you're gonna get it broken in!!! Prosser will be great for a shakedown trip. Enjoy!!!! 8) :thumbsup: 8) :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Update, 06-16-2011

Postby down under tech » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Today, I finished up the front overhead cabinet. I still need to trim it out. That comes later on. Next week I will be very busy trying to get it close to done. I plan to do the doors on first thing next week. I will be on vacation.

I really like how it is turning out. How about you? :applause:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dusty82 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:46 am

Sweet! I can't wait to see some of these Reno rigs in person one day. The Nugget is at the top of the list.
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby DMcCam » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:17 am

Hey Johnny, thanks for the tip on Kro-Built; great guys and service. I bought the tail lights and ordered the running ones! Man I'm with Dusty, I can't wait to finally see your SN in person.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Update, 06-22-2011

Postby down under tech » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Vacation this week, Yeah!:applause:

I installed the plywood inside the rear hatch the other day. Yesterday & today I spent building the side doors for the TD. I am glad that is done. You can see the progressive pictures of the door construction below.

One of the door blanks. The Kuffel Creek plans called for the removal of 1/4" from all sides of the door skin.

Then I cut the openings for the windows with my jig saw.

I framed the outside perimeter with poplar and 3/4" plywood.

Then the center framing to support the windows.

Then I insulated the empty cavities with pink 3/4" sheet insulation that I have used all along in this build.

I used PL Premium construction adhesive and used my brad nailer to attach the inside door skins. I used my router table to route the edges to the same dimensions as the outside door skin I had cut to start with.

This is how it will look after the window is installed. I still need to seal the wood with spar polyurethane. The inside door panels are already sealed.

The sealing of the outside of the doors and the inside of the hatch comes tomorrow.

Then I need to trim the hatch and doors with aluminum. Oh Boy !!! ;)
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Johnny, she's coming right along now. It's amazing how much you can get done when you have a few solid days to put to it isn't it? Your doors are looking really sharp!

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 am

Johnny and Dave too, I am out of town in HOT D.C. for the next 12 days. I am excited to see some seriously finished Reno TD pics when I get back! You guys are making great progress, and they look good too! :lol: Hope the ladies are making progress on the galley and cabin accoutrements. That is the REALLY fun part, and I helped with ALL of the build ! :lol:

Debbie
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Update, 06-24-2011

Postby down under tech » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Hey everyone, I was busy today working on the TD. First I sealed the outside of the doors and the inside of the hatch that I was going to do yesterday. I've have a cold or a virus for the last month and I went to the doctor. I just took it easy yesterday.

Today, I accomplished a major milestone in the build. I installed the oil rubbed bronze ceiling panels. I think it looks awesome. They are made out of plastic and are copies of the old tin ceiling panels from the turn of the last century. I will let you make up your own mind if this turned out OK.

I did not get as much done this week as I wanted to, but I got a lot done. I am taking tomorrow off to check out some camp sites with my wife Terry.
:twisted:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:15 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...Turned out terrific!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 am

Turned out great Johnny! Cold or not you got alot done bud! Now what bvrand of spar urethane are you using?

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Update, 07-05-2011

Postby down under tech » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Terry and I got a lot of things done over the three days of the 4th of July holiday. The aluminum skin is installed with the trim where the roof and sides meet with my wife's help. The inside of the hatch is trimed out and the galley light is installed as well.

Terry made up the padded headboard that looks really nice. A picture of that as soon as I can take a picture of it inside the "Silver Nugget".

The hurricane hinge is mounted to the body.

I annealed the aluminum for the back where the hatch will rest on the side walls.

We still have to add the lower body trim and for the doors and openings. I still need to apply the aluminum to the outside of the hatch before it can be mounted. The doors need the skin installed and trimmed too.

WOW... It is looking GOOD!!! :D
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:04 pm

WOW IS RIGHT!! Well done Sir!! It's amazing to see her with the aluminum. Looks like you'll have lots of room for a tongue box too.

All the best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Johnny

Your teardrop is looking great! That is something to be proud of.
I have a question, Is that U channel alum trim on your galley offset and if so was that hard to bend? Also is your alum trim 3/4" or 1"? I plan on getting my aluminum trim at lowes and just annealing it the old school way.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 pm

It won't be long until you can take it on its first camping trip!

...Lookin' Good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Update, 06-16-2011

Postby mcspin50 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 am

down under tech wrote:Today, I finished up the front overhead cabinet. I still need to trim it out.

I really like how it is turning out. How about you? :applause:

Wow Johnny!! I hadn't read your build journal in a while. You're doing gr-r-r-reat!! I especially love this cabinet idea. I've been pondering how to install my power center in 3/4" plywood and the way you set the cd/radio in thinner plywood has solved my problem. Thanks for the inspiration! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals